A Quiet Walk Down the Hallway ...

playaman

Recycles dryer sheets
I FIRE'd today from a major university in California -- packed my office, said farewell to the few who were still around, loaded the car and left.

Technically, I have two meetings next week and an awards ceremony the week thereafter, but it's "vacation" from now until the end of July. My appearances over the next 10 days will be just that -- appearances.

I feel mostly good but a little sad about leaving (and a little stressed too given the drop in my portfolio this spring). The moving van arrives July 10, and my wife and I move to a new house in an "active adult" community in Texas. I'll do some consulting, stay on a corporate board and maybe write a bit, but retirement is really here. Given that I'm 60, it's not really early but it's here.

And, I'm ready...

Uh oh...someone else coming to TX...we'll make room!

Congrats on your retirement. :)

WADR, why appear? Unless you want to, of course.

Congratulations as well, I think you'll find you like your decision.

Congratulations. I hope that you enjoy your retirement. Let us know how you like the active adult community in TX.

Happy retirement (and I do think it still counts as early at the age of 60)!

Do let us know your thoughts about the active adult community.

Congrats, Playaman.

The moving van arrives July 10, and my wife and I move to a new house in an "active adult" community in Texas.
Ruh-roh... REWahoo has a similar "active adult" program but I hear it involves chiggers, rattlesnakes, fire ants, feral pigs, and heaping piles of burning mulch.

He joined for free. How much did you pay for your membership?

Congrats! Considering you are likely to live at least another 20 years, I say you did just fine on your retirement age! Which major university? Close friend is Stanford Alum, my brother is Cal, DW is UCSD.

I have been teaching at San Diego State. Good school, great location.

Congratulations on the big step! What part of TX is the active adult community?

Just curious, where are you originally from? Moving from SD to Texas is a big move. Do you have family there? It's going to be hot, compared to what your used to. :eek:

Thanks for the questions.

My wife and I are both from Texas originally. And, we've decided we want to "go home" to be nearer family and old friends. I grew up in Corpus Christi, my wife in a suburb of Houston, but the "active adult" community in which we've bought is in San Antonio, a city that I've always liked (despite the blistering summer heat, the fireants and the other varmits about which REWahoo keeps the community well informed). I have a brother who lives in San Antonio as well, and my brother and I have our mother in an assisted living center there too.

My wife and I have purchased a home in a new Del Webb community on the western fringes of the city, about six miles due west of Sea World San Antonio for those who know the area... Typical Del Webb community, with most of the homes being faced with native limestone. The house we built is on a shaded lot, which will be a plus from our San Diego residence.

"Roots" is the primary reason we're returning to Texas, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the lower cost of living too. (Gasoline is about 60 cents a gallon cheaper; housing is well more than half as expensive - depending in San Diego's instance of how far from the ocean you live.) If our children were both on the West Coast, we'd probably have chosen to stay here, but such is not the case, and Texas just makes sense for us.

Thanks for the questions.

My wife and I are both from Texas originally. And, we've decided we want to "go home" to be nearer family and old friends. I grew up in Corpus Christi, my wife in a suburb of Houston, but the "active adult" community in which we've bought is in San Antonio, a city that I've always liked (despite the blistering summer heat, the fireants and the other varmits about which REWahoo keeps the community well informed). I have a brother who lives in San Antonio as well, and my brother and I have our mother in an assisted living center there too.

My wife and I have purchased a home in a new Del Webb community on the western fringes of the city, about six miles due west of Sea World San Antonio for those who know the area... Typical Del Webb community, with most of the homes being faced with native limestone. The house we built is on a shaded lot, which will be a plus from our San Diego residence.

"Roots" is the primary reason we're returning to Texas, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the lower cost of living too. (Gasoline is about 60 cents a gallon cheaper; housing is well more than half as expensive - depending in San Diego's instance of how far from the ocean you live.) If our children were both on the West Coast, we'd probably have chosen to stay here, but such is not the case, and Texas just makes sense for us.

It does make sense with your Texas roots. Plus San Antonio is an interesting city. Good luck with your retirement!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom