shameless ask for praise for walking

When I worked as a land surveyor, I suspect that our surveyors walked about 15 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. All crew members were extremely fit. I was in better shape when I worked as a field surveyor than I was as an office worker training for a marathon.

Same thing with postal workers. I know a lady who used to deliver the mail on foot all day. Extremely fit.

You'll seldom find a person who walks a lot who is out of shape.

Walking 10 miles over an 8 hour shift isn't as demanding as doing it in 2 1/2 hours.

The benefits are many. One of the big ones is core strength. My back troubles me so the whole process is limited by the back pain, as @koolau noted.

I don't wear headphones while walking, as I can't hear the outside noise well, and could end up being one of those people hit by a car, or bike, or just not hear the creep running up behind me.

Much more sensible than me but right now I am on the "anything that gets me out the door" plan.

If only I had other muscles that worked as well as my calves LOL. Years of neglect and desk work did me no favors.

My feet hurt 24/7 now is the biggest problem. Plantar fasciitis which podiatrist says is presenting "atyptically" and will be longer route to a fix.

Rest does not help so I do not have any excuse to slack too much. 8 miles today and yesterday both.

It's the shoes. Hopefully you are not wearing Hoka shoes.

Try a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS in your size/width.

If I put a pair of Hoka (doesn't matter the model) I immediately get the burning arches of plantar faciatis.

I walk 15k steps a day on average for the past 2-3 years. It probably does more mental fitness than physical fitness, but I do enjoy the routine and determiniation it takes to get 15k steps every day. Not super hard, but you do have to be stubborn.

If only I had other muscles that worked as well as my calves LOL. Years of neglect and desk work did me no favors.

My feet hurt 24/7 now is the biggest problem. Plantar fasciitis which podiatrist says is presenting "atyptically" and will be longer route to a fix.

Rest does not help so I do not have any excuse to slack too much. 8 miles today and yesterday both.

My PF was well controlled by a doctor prescribing orthotoc inserts. It was a miracle "cure" for me. Not real cheap, but worth every penny - and more.

Podiatrist said I didn't need inserts - feet are too rigid already but I could get a second opinion I guess.

I see in the news we are already airlifting people off local trails and it is only April. /sigh.

My PF was well controlled by a doctor prescribing orthotoc inserts. It was a miracle "cure" for me. Not real cheap, but worth every penny - and more.

PF is a not-uncommon ailment for runners. I've had it a couple of times. No quick fix for it. Depending on the person, it's some combination of orthotics/heel cushion inserts, icing of heel a few times a day, NSAID, and regular stretching a few times each day. Oh, yeah, it also takes....patience. FWIW my last episode was 5 years ago. I have incorporated some stretching as part of my 3x/week weight regimen; either that has been preventive or just luck, but I won't stop doing it.

I have PF so I look for shoes with arch support for most use, or use small inserts when I need them. I wouldn't do any serious amount of walking without something under my arch, and any foot doc that diagnosed PF and said you don't need some sort of insert sounds crazy to me.

It's the shoes. Hopefully you are not wearing Hoka shoes.

Try a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS in your size/width.

I have a pair of Brooks Revel and they feel great on walks. But I may try the Adrenaline next time as the specs seem to cater to PF more than what I have. When I bought them it was a pair I saw in a store and they felt good so I bought them.

I have/had PF but after buying a pair of Oofos sandals that I wear around the house my PF seemed to go away. They make walking shoes but have never tried them.

Trekking Poles

I think going 11 miles and 8 miles is something to be proud of!

I am a trekking pole fan. I don't seriously hike but I do walk a fair amount in urban parks and on roads and sidewalks. I like the poles since they help with balance and the distribution of the impact, so my feet and knees feel a bit better. They get my arms moving which helps me maintain the pace and ups the aerobic ante. They did take a bit of practice to get used to, but now I use them regularly for any longer walk when my hands will be free. If you are walking long distances regularly, you might want to consider them.

br

I think going 11 miles and 8 miles is something to be proud of!

I am a trekking pole fan. I don't seriously hike but I do walk a fair amount in urban parks and on roads and sidewalks. I like the poles since they help with balance and the distribution of the impact, so my feet and knees feel a bit better. They get my arms moving which helps me maintain the pace and ups the aerobic ante. They did take a bit of practice to get used to, but now I use them regularly for any longer walk when my hands will be free. If you are walking long distances regularly, you might want to consider them.

br

Thanks. I am planning to get in a 13.1 mile some time so I can say I did a half marathon even if not official but daily walks are normally shorter. And it is getting hot here so IDK my plan. (I wasn't doing this last summer)

I did 8.4 and 3:45 moving time on a hike Tuesday. I am still recovering from that.
:p
Pictures are in the "what did you do" thread.

What a great healthy walk you were able to accomplish! I try to walk 10,000 steps per day which is not that easy to do without making it a priority. Here is some advice I try to follow daily: Your feelings never have the right to determine your identity; speak the truth to yourself.

Eleven miles is great and hard. Be proud. Wife and I go that distance a few times a year.
The difference is she can probably do it again the next day. I can’t.

Back
Top Bottom