A strong anti-retirement sermon at our church yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you! I would gladly give my job and those brussel sprouts on my plate to the next person clamoring for them!

And you should! Not to pile on...... But you folks that just keep working and working and working and working for da man....... ;)

Here's the really scary part - someone was actually awake and listening to a sermon :cool: ?

Interesting. I always wondered what ministers found as topics to talk about every Sunday, week in and week out.

Interesting. I always wondered what ministers found as topics to talk about every Sunday, week in and week out.

I'm surprised they moved on to criticizing retirement. I mean they do have a whole big thick book full of source material to discuss. Why couldn't they just stick to their good book?

That's what you have to always wonder about up there? Boy....... When we're up there in the non-snow seasons I've questioned what folks must do during the "long darkness." If that's it, whew....... ya gotta get a life! Why not obcess about something worthwhile like whether the ice will be out in the bays on Big Winnie for the walleye opener? ;)

If your whole life is a sin because you retired early (or at all), you might as well really be a sinner and skip church on Sundays...:rolleyes:

Why not obcess about something worthwhile like whether the ice will be out in the bays on Big Winnie for the walleye opener? ;)

Why are you obsessing about what people are obsessing about:whistle:

Why are you obsessing about what people are obsessing about:whistle:

Because "piling on" and obcessing are part of the culture of this board. I'm just trying to be a team player and march lockstep with the rest of the posters. ;)

The guy probably read Max Weber. From Wikipedia
Protestant Work Ethic
The Protestant Work Ethic, sometimes called the Puritan Work Ethic, is a sociological, theoretical concept. It is based upon the notion that the Calvinist emphasis on the necessity for hard work is proponent of a person's calling and worldly success is a sign of personal salvation. It is argued that Protestants beginning with Martin Luther had reconceptualised worldly work as a duty which benefits both the individual and society as a whole. Thus, the Catholic idea of good works was transformed into an obligation to work diligently as a sign of grace.
And, of course, idle hands are the devil's workshop or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom