A strong anti-retirement sermon at our church yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashflo2u2

Recycles dryer sheets
We had a sermon at our church that was very anti-retiree. Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable. It was effectively delivered. Unfortunately for me, I just happened to return from a 3 weeks from the coast of Maine and had a tan. I had to go up front of everyone for a particular reason and as I went up they said here is ____ back from his 3 week vacation in Maine. Plus, everybody knows I am retired. Then came the sermon. I will say that I did not feel like the scum of the earth- I got a little bit steamed. I should add that it was not our regular minister/pastor, it was a congregational member that occasionly fills in. He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.

He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.

Not in that way, anyhow. Just put a tail on him and see if he is sleeping with someone other than his DW. Then post the pictures on the church bulletin board.

Ha

I would talk to the pastor privately so that he knows what happened. The pulpit should not be used for personal attacks, which this very nearly was (apparently).

If you don't need more money, why in the world would one take a paying job away from someone that does need the money??
Seems to me that would contradict what Christianity says about greed.

Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead.

For Christians, suicide is a mortal sin. Perhaps you can have him burned for preaching heresy?

Wow--a lot of retired people are very active in our church; a sermon like that, and they would likely find some other place to volunteer. So maybe a calm word to the pastor might be in order to prevent an exodus like that.

Wow--a lot of retired people are very active in our church; a sermon like that, and they would likely find some other place to volunteer. So maybe a calm word to the pastor might be in order to prevent an exodus like that.

Good idea. Then take the high road by saying you do forgive the guy. But your point will be very well made.

Even Sermons are allowed healthy debate and discussion. I suggest a series of meetings with him as you work to understand what he was trying to make a point about and share your counter points in a professional manner. If in fact he "sticks to his argument" then suggest that this interpretation of Christianity isn't something you can seem to get a grasp of and ask him frankly if he cares or not if you stay in the congregation. If he says he wants you to remain then suggest that he needs to preach from a more tolerant position that allows a multi opinion approach even if he goes in the end to his position. If he says he thinks you are "wrong" and "going to hell" then tell him you'll be finding another congregation....no need to hold a pew open for you.

I'd call him on Christ's calling to help heal the sick, clothe the naked, feed the hungry and shelter the homeless. Jesus was all about the more fortunate willingly using some of their good fortune to help those less fortunate.

It seems to me that leaving a job you don't need in order to create a job opening for someone who badly needs it is one of the most charitable things someone can do. It doesn't mean you have to be idle and stop doing God's work. In summary, this guy has no clue.

Last edited:
We had a sermon at our church that was very anti-retiree. Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable. It was effectively delivered. Unfortunately for me, I just happened to return from a 3 weeks from the coast of Maine and had a tan. I had to go up front of everyone for a particular reason and as I went up they said here is ____ back from his 3 week vacation in Maine. Plus, everybody knows I am retired. Then came the sermon. I will say that I did not feel like the scum of the earth- I got a little bit steamed. I should add that it was not our regular minister/pastor, it was a congregational member that occasionly fills in. He is 63 and can't afford to retire. I really wanted to unload as to how I feet about "anti" type sermons with an email to the person in question and our regular Pastor but thought I should not retaliate.

You of course informed him that Jesus was a bum/panhandler who didn't have a day job nor pay SS or taxes.

Seems to me - he did pretty good.

:flowers:

heh heh heh - :angel:

Actually, if you could stand back and observe this situation, there is some humor in the situation. But, seriously, I'd blow what he said off...who cares? Life's too short. If that's his real opinion then fine, but sounds like Mr. Pastor is bitter because he can't retire. He wouldn't be the first "man of God" I ever met that used his own "stuff" to put on someone else. Sounds like this Pastor has problems himself.

....Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable....

Well....I guess Jesus' disciples were pretty darn questionable then, and Jesus was the one who led them astray! That guy must have forgotten all about the fact that it was Jesus himself, that TOLD the disciples to leave there jobs and follow him as a band of vagabonds!!!

So, to your "anti-retirement" sermonizer....like Bill Engvall would say...."Here's your sign!"

+1 on what Orchidflower said. You were probably the only person in church who was listening to the sermon, anyway. :angel:

Sermon...

Well....I guess Jesus' disciples were pretty darn questionable then, and Jesus was the one who led them astray! That guy must have forgotten all about the fact that it was Jesus himself, that TOLD the disciples to leave there jobs and follow him as a band of vagabonds!!!

Goonie's spot on with the example of Jesus, Peter, John, and
other disciples as guys who "retired" from carpentry and fishing
in order to pursue a different mission.

Paul "semi-retired" and occasionally made tents in order to support
himself while he preached and wrote.

Perhaps the best Biblical example, though, might be Joseph who
saved 20% of ALL Egypt's produce during years of abundance
in order to have food during the years of famine he knew was
coming. (Genesis 41).

I use this all the time to give a reason for saving for retirement.
Most of us will see years of "famine" in old age. We know in some
form or another the famine is coming. I will not physically be able
to do the work that I do now in my later years. My famine
is coming. The same thing Joseph did for the kingdom is what the responsible worker should do now... save some in the years of
abundance.

(Sorry about the sermon)

I hope your fellow church member is willing to reconcile.
Hope this helps.

-LB

Simply ignore him. He sounds pretty silly and also sounds like he has run out of points to make or productive sermons to give.

One of the few downsides to RE is that events of no particular significance become important because the retiree has nothing else to get excited about. Perhaps you could find something worthwhile to fret over and this "anti-retirement sermon" will pass from your mind like a wisp of smoke in the wind.

This thread is straying from the original topic into a very questionable area. Our Community Rules do not permit offensive comments regarding religion or sexual orientation.

So says Father Guido Sarducci. We'll have "nun" of that around here! :LOL: ...

This may run afoul of the community rules , and if so I won't be offended if this post gets deleted.

But let me offer a cynical view of the sermon. Church revenues are hurting. Retirees don't earn as much money and don't tithe as much. Fully employed parishioners that earn more money would tithe more. This guy is looking out for his source of a paycheck - contributions to the church coffers from parishioners. Church = non profit business that has bills to pay.

Or you can put forth a rebuttal. Tell him God created the Earth and reserved the seventh day for rest. Your life is like a week, and retirement is the seventh day in your week, a time reserved for rest and reflection. You have worked hard through the first six days, toiling in school, raising a family and yourself, slaving away at a job, etc. Now you are ready to enjoy your seventh day dedicated to rest before the week comes to a final end.

The visiting person already made a fool of himself in front of the congregation by singling you out for "punishment".
Don't join him by responding in kind.

Sorry this happened to you. :( It must have been very embarassing to be attacked in front of your peers.

This is just another one of those "early retirement is selfish" kind of rants, I think.

Frankly, I don't see why it's selfish to give away your j*b to someone who needs it more than you do, but maybe that's just me...

Basically this guy preached that Christians should work at something till they drop dead. Anybody who doesn't is questionable. .

Sounds like you're dramatizing this situation a bit cashflo....... What did the substitute preacher actually say (as opposed to what he "basically" said)? Did he/she specifically say that "Christians should work at something" means working at a job for wages? Or could he/she have meant volunteer work or other activities that could help others? Was the term "questionable" actually used? Or are you again paraphrasing what was actually said?

In any case, since whatever happened seems to have gotten under your skin and set you off, why not just spend your Sunday mornings doing something else? The church owes you nothing and you owe the church nothing. Walk your own path and put this behind you. Life is way, way too short to let a few words spoken by a substitute preacher (or lay person, you didn't really say) get you all riled up.

Frankly, I don't see why it's selfish to give away your j*b to someone who needs it more than you do, but maybe that's just me...

So Zig, why are you being selfish by keeping your job when many others need it more than you do? :flowers:

I'm with you! I would gladly give my job and those brussel sprouts on my plate to the next person clamoring for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom