Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

4+ months into retirement and I have never been busier, nor more active. Lost 25lbs first year retired. I have always been a busy person with far more interests than time to spend with them. I have 3 antique cars and a hobby business in vintage parts repair and manufacturing. We bought a second (120 year old) lake house in '19.

Two things I have taken up since retiring is hiking (528 miles last year) and cooking.

That being said, there is nothing that I want to do 8 hours a day. Having so many interests/hobbies serves my mild ADD, I can flit from one thing to another and the best days I do a little of a bunch of things, including getting up when I want to, reading email and social media and having 3 cups of coffee in the morning and of course a hike in the woods with our younger dog after lunch.

Never been busier... but I love it for one simple reason: I know that I don't HAVE to do anything. To me, that is the very essence of retirement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

In have decided to retire next April. I have thought about what will keep me busy the realised I don’t need to keep busy. I’ll do my walking, this will be long coastal walks around Scotland and maybe England, cycling and any jobs round the house or garden. I also want to start yoga exercises at my gym.

I intend to buy a Campervan and DW and I will tour our magnificent country and plan outperform European adventures. So active, but not busy.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired for 3 months and We have been packing, downsizing and setting up for a move. We have busy doing stuff that has to be done, but some days do what we want to relax. We will be moving in a few weeks and then resting for a week before starting our house hunting in earnest. We have been watching the housing market and know what to expect. Renting for awhile while we house hunt. Once we are into our retirement house we will be engaged with a lot of activities. No plans to watch TV and sit around all day.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The nice thing about retirement is you are in charge of your own day! Plan whatever you want to do, when ever you want to do it.
5 years ago, I started out with a "list" of things to get done, worked diligently at crossing them off one by one, then realized if something else came up that day and I didn't get that project crossed off, I felt frustrated. Threw that list away super fast!!
I don't have a schedule, but things get done when they need too. I enjoy my days and my time is my own. Love it!!
Everyone gets their own retirement groove, you will find yours.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:16 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
5 years ago, I started out with a "list" of things to get done, worked diligently at crossing them off one by one, then realized if something else came up that day and I didn't get that project crossed off, I felt frustrated. Threw that list away super fast!!

Just say "Yes" to "no" lists!
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I will probably employ a list, but it will be open-ended. My goal would to cross things off before they get too many pages behind
Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never want to be busy again. I never wanted to be busy when I was working.

But hey, they're paying you eh?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After 27years of ER I've formed some strong opinions. Busy can be bad like that evil WORK! grin. Never volunteer erstwhile one can get BUSY before realization sets in. It's hard to un volunteer. One can always show up and contribute. My two cents.

Learn that No is a wonderful word.

After 27 years of active, busy, volunteer, and slacking, watching grass grow, gym, hiking, re modeling , travel, etc., and mixtures thereof I go with the mixes I like and my body/psyche tell me are OK.

Heh heh heh - ER grants you freedom to chose and go forth.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote