Am I alone? Or do others find themselves trying to actively disengage from the news?

Forget my post #191. The news is a Hot Mess and I'm listening to all of it!

Look at the current news regarding John McCain and Aretha Franklin.
While I recognize the contribution that McCain gave to his country; he gained his greatest notoriety be having a R beside his name, and always criticizing others who had R's beside his name. He is the current media's hero because he is/was anti-Trump, and it has been constant non stop McCain on the news.

Now, Aretha, has left more of a mark on society that John McCain, and she has had the misfortune of dying at the same time as McCain. She is only catching a fraction of the recognition that McCain has had.

All for political reasons.

Look at the current news regarding John McCain and Aretha Franklin.
While I recognize the contribution that McCain gave to his country; he gained his greatest notoriety be having a R beside his name, and always criticizing others who had R's beside his name. He is the current media's hero because he is/was anti-Trump, and it has been constant non stop McCain on the news.

Now, Aretha, has left more of a mark on society that John McCain, and she has had the misfortune of dying at the same time as McCain. She is only catching a fraction of the recognition that McCain has had.

All for political reasons.

What about poor Neil Simon? His death was a blip in the new cycle.

Last edited:
What about poor Neil Simon. His death was a blip in the new cycle.

Yeah, sigh. He was brilliant and funny. I listened to a past interview with him yesterday. Felix and Oscar were based on two divorced men he knew growing up. Many of the situations actually happened and he feared the play would hurt feelings. He took life experiences and turned them into entertainment gold.

I'm just waiting to vote in November .. and hope the depressing congressional circus and ineptness .. somehow changes. Other than that, 24/7 news is bombarding me .. that we are constantly at war with other countries (I mean trade wars and others).

I'm just waiting to vote in November .. and hope the depressing congressional circus and ineptness .. somehow changes. Other than that, 24/7 news is bombarding me .. that we are constantly at war with other countries (I mean trade wars and others).

One big plus I've found from not watching any "regular" TV is I missed all the political ads leading up to our Florida primary this week. Hopefully I'll miss most of the general election ads, too.

I greatly limit viewing news or reading the newspaper except for the occasional PBS news programs. I find most of it fluff stories and often exaggerated to draw viewers to increase their market share. Recently that also had the benefit to limit being bombarded by the election mudslinging. I'll stick with the NO commercial viewing on Netflix and Hulu.

Cheers!

Michael's post 243... +1

In particular the term "chaos"... and in that, the thought that "out of chaos, comes order."

Never in history have more parts of the world been exposed. Not that we're there yet, but on our way. As the bits and pieces unfold, cause and effect gradually begins, and in that graduation comes direction.

Yes, from politics... a direction shaped by elections and eventually laws, and then further by the interaction with other parts of the world. War, peace, agreements, trade, and people. not in our lifetime, but out of chaos, order.

And that's just the people/leaders part. Farther out, the world we were given, and what will become of it. In this short century... thus far in a little more than eighty years, we're beset with new situations, not even conceived just a century ago.

Sound like it's off topic?. News? Well, how else do we know? extinction of species? melting poles? global warming? population growth/survival? weather events, declining resources, water, fuel, education costs, and a hundred other parts of our world, that without exposure to those who can influence the outcome through action... could continue the chaos.

We see parts of this type of disengagement, when decisions are made for the personal interests of individuals, money or politics or both... ie. disregard of thousands of scientists to allow known pollution.

Just an opinion... but turning off the news, or attending to a single source can eventually mean ignorance of details. Unfortunately ignorance does not preclude voting.

Per the cited quote...

For me, the problem is not, therefore, to stay well informed but to track within the mass of pointlessly amplified news that which will help me to distinguish, over time, the true and the false, the best and the worst: this is an extremely difficult task.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom