Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been living in #2 for 30 years. Not a low COL state. Half the state burned down last year and smoked out the other half. Waiting for the water to run out. Aside from that, it's pretty nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 04:57 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Must be all those dang mud chiggers that gum up everything from high school football fields to carburetors fuel injectors.

I live in a bottom half state - Washington. And even if only half of the tax increases proposed this year are passed it will go down farther. Imagine living in a state with not only the highest gasoline tax but also the highest liquor taxes.
Actually I surprised that WA so low. No state income tax. Yes, Seattle (and some eastside cities are expensive) and trying to increase taxes for everything but if you retired you don't need to live there. There are very good places in WA, affordable, good healthcare, nature, decent climate.
aleabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleabo View Post
There are very good places in WA, affordable, good healthcare, nature, decent climate.
I recall, when I lived in B.C., that Sequim was a (sorta) popular retirement destination for some.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERObjd View Post
California at #28?? I figured it would be way lower. In 70's and 80's I knew lots of people who were moving to California since about the mid 90's i have met very few people if any who are moving there and most of the ones who did mover there back in 70's and 80's have been moving out of the place.. priced out tired of the taxes, crime traffic or unaffordable housing and rent.

People move to California for jobs. Retired people either stay in CA or move out, assuming a paid of mortgage with prop 13 protections. I can't imagine anyone moving TO California to retire. If we stay in California after retirement it's going to cost us about an extra $15,000 a year.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:47 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Here's a fun one...every time I take the quiz I get a different answer though :-)
https://www.best-place-to-retire.com...to-retire-quiz
barak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Notice that none of the "experts" doing the rankings are actually retired. It's like getting advice on marriage from a Catholic priest. No experience and no skin in the game. My advice? Live wherever you are happy. If that's New Jersey (#50), then that's the best place for YOU to retire. Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in Florida (#1). Basing your decision on what these ratings say is the worst thing you could possibly do. Decide based on YOUR criteria and YOUR preferences. NEVER listen to a bunch of non-retired PhDs. They aren't living it. You are.
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:13 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Have you ever lived in Texas? It's too damned hot!
Growing up in New Orleans has immunized me to claims of other places being hot.

Anyway, the list is just too generalized. My state (AL) is rated as most affordable (it's up there, though maybe not my little part of it), and near worst in medical care. In my specific area I have access to superb medical care, which belies the overall rating.
Sand101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:41 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleabo View Post
Actually I surprised that WA so low. No state income tax. Yes, Seattle (and some eastside cities are expensive) and trying to increase taxes for everything but if you retired you don't need to live there. There are very good places in WA, affordable, good healthcare, nature, decent climate.
Could you suggest some places reasonably close to good healthcare, and affordable in WA.
Post Covid, I want to visit to scope out if we would move there, so having an idea of places to visit would be nice.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by barak View Post
Here's a fun one...every time I take the quiz I get a different answer though :-)
Interesting site.
I tried it and it ended up showing me places I had never heard of before.
Lots of fun...
Old 02-10-2021, 05:38 AM   #70
Administrator

Quite interesting. Two of the places are where I currently live in coastal Connecticut and where we have rented in the summer for the last 20 years in Mid-coast Maine.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Interesting site.
I tried it and it ended up showing me places I had never heard of before.
Lots of fun...
It was fun. Places came up that are near the area we're wanting to retire. Guess we're looking in the right place
Old 02-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Don’t understand why Pennsylvania is so low. Healthcare is very good here and there are many affordable places.

Because it's all someone's opinion. New Mexico is very affordable but that's not high on the list either.
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

We retired north to #10 (NH). Would have liked #20 (VT), but NH offered no income or sales tax, an opportunity to be with an organized like minded group of people (politically), and our only child lives here. Not to mention the only place in either state we could find an affordable (for us) new construction home in a 55+ like development near the lakes and mountains, and yet also to conveniences like medical care, shopping, activities and restaurants.

And we are now very close to VT so we can drive there whenever we want.

We actually spent 20+ years vacationing in VT and NH so we at least were knowledgeable as to what each offered and we obviously liked them enough to return every year, so a no brainer to choose.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG - TEXAS!!

Heh heh heh - Great place to visit but I don't want to live there. . We do Texas once a year(pre Covid) whether we need to or not.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

This is about US states but want to include Portugal after watching tons of YouTube videos about how it is Top 5 safest countries and health insurance cost a family with 2 kids around $1500/year (?). This is from YouTube vlogger OurRichJourney who retired from federal jobs around 38 years old.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:38 AM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never been in agreement with any lists about the best places to live. There are pros and cons in every state. And some states have some great places to live, and some rat hole societies in other regions.

I've been very fortunate to grow up and live in ultra low cost of living places. I've also been able to own 4 very large homes with house payments cheaper than rent. Instead of chasing the corporate ladder, I long ago chose to chase a low cost of living and retire early--at 58 in my case.

I like living where there are different terrains--a mixture of great farms, tall hills and incredible rivers/lakes. It's nice to live outside big cities--preferably about 40 miles. I'm fortunate to live 2 hours from 3 big cities and 3 hours from two other large cities.
And I especially like living where home prices are very low (relatively), and property taxes are ridiculously low. Last but not least is quality of healthcare, and we have wonderful hospitals close by.

And fortunately, our long term to retire young with sufficient accounts to sustain us was well executed.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I wish I could find one of these survey things, where I could check off all the boxes I'm concerned about , and then it would calculate the values based on items that actually are important to me.

For example: Things I am NOT interested in this survey are:
Golf Courses per Capita*: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) -------> I don't golf.
Elderly Food Insecurity Rate: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) ----> I have enough money for food
Elderly-Friendly Labor Market: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) --> I'm not working at Walmart ever.

Exactly my take. When I see Florida #1 that tells me all I need to know. How sbout ranking quality of home and building construction as important and elderly food insecurity not at all!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #78
Administrator

Yeah, they should have a list of "Best Places to Retire if you don't worry about money."
Old 02-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Even worse are those lists for the best places to retire overseas. Mostly total BS.... and some are even predicated on monetary incentives to the people making the lists!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

All of these lists are wrong, because they never specify New Orleans as the best place to retire. It's not the top city on any of the easily quantified criteria. But there's more than that to choosing a retirement location that you love, and we love living here.

Quote:
It told me Louisiana! Imagine that... So maybe this quiz is better than most.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote