What?? Had to read twice!!

El Paso being number 5 was a shocker. They are getting upwards to a thousand a day coming across the border. When my brother lived there it never seemed to be the best of places. Also, Jackson Mississippi. I used to go through there for work and it was a bit dismal. They also, have had a lot of issues with their water treatment plants.

Yeah, born across the river & still having friends in STL, I don't know why they stay. I love the architecture, but the city is just meh for me. A small city should be better on the crime scene, imo. Memphis is another small city I lived in many moons ago (mom still does) & I wish there were reasons to visit other than family or friends or BBQ.

I live in STL and am looking forward to leaving. That being said, I actually have lived in cities I disliked significantly more and I don’t think STL is nearly as bad as all the hate it gets. As someone else mentioned, the crime stats are misleading because they are city, not county stats. Pretty sure STL crime rates would be below those of Indy and ATL if the crime rates were calculated with STL County included. I’m not saying STL is crime-free, but like any other place, if you stay out of the bad areas and use some common sense, you’ll probably be fine.

STL has some interesting architecture and I absolutely love Forest Park. I live in a nice building and have never felt more safe compared to anywhere else I have lived (ironic, isn’t it?). For me, the problem with STL, including the surrounding counties, is the people. There aren’t a lot of newcomers, so you predominantly have people who were born and raised here, have generations of family here, have had the same circle of friends since the beginning of time, and don’t befriend new people often. Even with stuff like tennis teams, I’m a good player but I have struggled to get on teams because the team members have literally been together for 25 years. It was easier to fit in and make friends in places where you have more transplants. Maybe I’d want to stay here if I had grown up here and all my family, plus friends I’ve had since preschool, lived here. Otherwise there’s not much reason to stay.

These types of “best places to retire” lists are so silly. The author decides which factors should be most important to retirees, pulls some statistics, and comes up with some weighted average, as if we all have the same priorities and needs. Percentage of seniors and percent who spend more than 30% of their income on rent don’t mean anything to me and would never factor into my choices.

I looked at the list and I would consider, at most, five of the cities.

Picking on Champaign?

It has good Healthcare options. What I didn't like living there are airport options. This article ignores that. If you like to travel, some of these high rated cities could be a pain.

Per the article:

Champaign receives positive marks for its low crime, high percentage of seniors who are up to date on preventive services and good walkability.

Per the article:

Champaign receives positive marks for its low crime, high percentage of seniors who are up to date on preventive services and good walkability.

Since I live in Champaign, I have many positive things to say about it. 15-minute drive to just about anywhere you want to go, low traffic. Walkability depends on where you live. We can walk to the U of I football stadium, and the State Farm Center (Assembly Hall) where basketball, concerts, and many events are held. Can walk to grocery stores, parks, and cute shops like Art Mart. But that's our neighborhood. Downtown Champaign has many restaurants and bars that students and locals go to. I can't complain. We have 0 hills, mountains, ocean, and very few lakes. Lots of corn and bean fields. But a short 2-hour drive to Chicago. So yeah, Champaign is pretty nice and affordable. But #3 in the nation? Not so sure.

Since I live in Champaign, I have many positive things to say about it. 15-minute drive to just about anywhere you want to go, low traffic. Walkability depends on where you live. We can walk to the U of I football stadium, and the State Farm Center (Assembly Hall) where basketball, concerts, and many events are held. Can walk to grocery stores, parks, and cute shops like Art Mart. But that's our neighborhood. Downtown Champaign has many restaurants and bars that students and locals go to. I can't complain. We have 0 hills, mountains, ocean, and very few lakes. Lots of corn and bean fields. But a short 2-hour drive to Chicago. So yeah, Champaign is pretty nice and affordable. But #3 in the nation? Not so sure.

I was kind of hinting at the hospitals in Champaign-Urbana. Again, haven't lived there for almost 40 years, but the reputation was that Champaign had hospitals that would draw from all of central Illinois and Eastern Indiana. I mean, world class. Sought out. You start thinking about these things as you age.

Has that changed?

Those "best places" articles are always a farce. They put out the list every year but every year the best places are totally different. How can they be the best one year and not even make the list the next year?
Ah, we agree. :) Plus, I've been to many/most cities that make the top ten on any given year. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in many (or any) of them.

Last edited:
I was kind of hinting at the hospitals in Champaign-Urbana. Again, haven't lived there for almost 40 years, but the reputation was that Champaign had hospitals that would draw from all of central Illinois and Eastern Indiana. I mean, world class. Sought out. You start thinking about these things as you age.

Has that changed?

World class? I guess some think that. I was misdiagnosed at the Carle Healthcare system, but all Docs make mistakes. Had to go to Mayo Clinic to get that verified. Other than that, yes, good healthcare. I can complain about the emergency room facilities till the cows come home, but no healthcare system is perfect. How do you have massive medical campuses, brand-new buildings, beautiful waiting rooms, lovely parking garages, and horrible emergency room facilities? Maybe they want to keep people out of the ER.

Yeah, that was a mistake. Maybe "Top-Tier." Let's leave the Mayos to World Class. I agree.

You have to know what factors and weighting lists are using, sometimes that's hard to even find. In the case of this one, it's clear what drove the list. The irony is places with low cost of living never have the best weather or quality of life - or they'd have a (much) higher cost of living. Champaign IL is a case in point, although the college town feature would appeal to many and put Champaign ahead of the hundreds of run of the mill cheap places to live. You couldn't pay me to live with Midwest winters ever again, (collectively) 36 years was more than enough.

With Social Security checks averaging $1,704 per month at the time of publishing, according to the latest Social Security Administration data, and the cost of living exceeding that in many areas, we weighed the cost of living highest, as finances are often the dominant deciding factor.

Last edited:
I have often considered that if I moved to (Cheap Place) it would cost less, but then I'd have to live in (Cheap Place), which would suck.

I was laughing when i saw st louis in #2. I live in a city 30 min away from St. Louis city now and my city was ranking #7 in 2014 for the best retirement. I moved from Los Angels, CA to STL, MO in 2015. And always looking forward to leaving MO due to the image of STL. But realized city of angel was not so heavenly at all as ppl imagine. I still feel safe to walk around even though the incident from ranking #1 park. I dont do much socials but there are plenty of activities near the park. But what i still dont like about here, ppl are all talking about how and where the gunshots were and crimes happens etc. In their deep mind, it paralyze better activities. But I know due to my airbnb business, many young ppl are moving into STL area for new opportunities. And housing price is still fine. I recommend suburb STL for retirement.

I know Champaign-Urbana very well. Like everywhere it has its good points but to list it as a best place to retire.. it reminds me of the famous debate quote, “You are no Jack Kennedy”.

I know Champaign-Urbana very well. Like everywhere it has its good points but to list it as a best place to retire.. it reminds me of the famous debate quote, “You are no Jack Kennedy”.

That's about right.

Somewhere in this area, I can't remember if it was Illinois or Indiana, some wise-guy college students (Illinois or Purdue) changed one of the signs on the interstate to read "Potatoe Creek". It was one of those little green signs on the bridge, not a directional sign. It has since been fixed, but for a few years I'd go through there and just LMAO.

College towns can be "fun."

Last edited:
That's about right.

Somewhere in this area, I can't remember if it was Illinois or Indiana, some wise-guy college students (Illinois or Purdue) changed one of the signs on the interstate to read "Potatoe Creek". It was one of those little green signs on the bridge, not a directional sign. It has since been fixed, but for a few years I'd go through there and just LMAO.

College towns can be "fun."

Right! Every time we go to a football game :( or university event the college students are doing something bizarre, fun, out of the box. Keeps us young.

So true, second only to New Orleans! Biggest secret on the internet is what fun it is to retire in the Big Easy. :dance: :D No need to travel anywhere, it's all here in New Orleans.

...at least until the water turns to salt?

Saint Louis crime stats are almost meaningless-- they are calculated in what ends up being a very arbitrary manner by having a weirdly fixed and shrinking denominator that bears no relationship to how people actually live and occupy this metro area. The crime in the area is concentrated within the city and even more so, it is concentrated in a few areas within the city - I have lived in the St Louis area for 47 years of my life, (not contiguous) and I do not think I personally know of a single person who was ever the victim of a violent crime. Ever... or that has a family member who was a victim. Seems odd in this supposedly crime ridden city that I am so sheltered. And I know plenty of people. And I go not the city plenty of times- to baseball games downtown, frequently attending events and museums in the park, or just go walking in the park. Just lucky? or are those stats highly misleading? As misleading as "best places to retire" lists might be?

Saint Louis crime stats are almost meaningless-- they are calculated in what ends up being a very arbitrary manner by having a weirdly fixed and shrinking denominator that bears no relationship to how people actually live and occupy this metro area. The crime in the area is concentrated within the city and even more so, it is concentrated in a few areas within the city - I have lived in the St Louis area for 47 years of my life, (not contiguous) and I do not think I personally know of a single person who was ever the victim of a violent crime. Ever... or that has a family member who was a victim. Seems odd in this supposedly crime ridden city that I am so sheltered. And I know plenty of people. And I go not the city plenty of times- to baseball games downtown, frequently attending events and museums in the park, or just go walking in the park. Just lucky? or are those stats highly misleading? As misleading as "best places to retire" lists might be?

Those things tend to be true in most medium to large cities. Honolulu, for the most part is relatively safe - if you avoid the drug and homeless areas. Your gut will likely guide you in such things. Problem is - those areas are expanding in most cities in the past couple of years. It's a visible creep like "the Blob" or similar. Too bad really as I contend it doesn't have to be that way but it just "IS" until people get fed up. End of rant.

Yep. ^^This^^

I live in suburban Minneapolis. The only time I venture into the city of Minneapolis itself is for baseball games, restaurants, or other activities.

My boss and I were in Detroit in mid 80s. He got a chance to go to a Tigers game with some other guys who had access to a rental car. On the way to the stadium, a police car pulled them over and told them that driving on that street was too dangerous. The police directed them to a "safe" way to get to the park.

Wow. I'm thinking St.L isn't so bad after all - though I haven't been for quite some time. Now, Minneapolis - fugidaboudit.

Those "best places" articles are always a farce. They put out the list every year but every year the best places are totally different. How can they be the best one year and not even make the list the next year?

I don’t think that is fair. For example, this paper wasn’t done last year, so there is nothing to compare it with.
While these studies are done often, you can’t compare one study with a different one without considering how each measures ‘best’.

In this particular study, cost of living played a big role. Not too surprising that the coasts didn’t score well.

I tend to read such rankings solely for criticism and arc of progress internal arguments with myself.

I used to check the weather in the ancient usa/today. I would look at every single town i had hung my hat and wonder about my past and future and decisions...

mind candy and optimization fantasy.

I’ve been here 20 years. Everything is great but the climate between May to September (too humid/hot).

Wow, 5 months to be miserable. That seems like a long time. We're entering into our "wet season" which often means well also lose our trade winds. Then, for perhaps 3 to 10 days/month we'll be hotter than normal and more humid than normal. In a couple of months, it will cool down and be quite comfortable again. I can take 2 or 3 weeks/year of "too" hot and humid. 5 months? I couldn't deal with it. Along with that, it's never really cold. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom