Any good books about the decision to retire, adjustment, etc?

medved

Recycles dryer sheets
Can anyone recommend a good book that could help in thinking through the decision to retire, deciding what is the right time, and making the adjustment to retired life? I am not looking for advice focused on financial issues, investing, budgeting, etc. I'm more focused on the thought process. Thanks.

If you are retiring to be able to quit work, that is a bad idea. Keep working.

If you are retiring to start to live the final 1/3 of your life, and are retiring TO something, that is the reason.

Figure out what you are retiring to, not retiring from.

If you are retiring to start to live the final 1/3 of your life, and are retiring TO something, that is the reason.

While I agree this is good advice for many people, I don't believe it holds true for all. Personality types and individual situations vary widely and one size doesn't fit all when it comes to the retirement decision.

For some the pressure of an intense work situation can be overwhelming and block the ability to do anything beyond looking for an escape. Only after retiring and shedding the burden of work do they have the time and ability to seek out what that "TO" might be. No, this isn't ideal but it is a reality for some of us.

Yes, I have heard that advice before. But (no disrespect intended) it seems overly simplistic to me -- as if it were either 100% one or 100% the other. I suspect it rarely is.

I would be retiring because (1) I do not particularly enjoy my work; (2) I have worked very hard for 25 years; (3) I live with too much stress, and I don't think that is good for my health; (4) work is not going so well for me these days (even though I am making a good amount of money) and I find showing up every day, when things are not going very well, depressing; (5) I have enough money that I do not think I need to continue to work to save more money; and (6) while there is nothing that I have a burning desire to do, other than travel more, I am pretty sure I can find some things to do that I will enjoy, including taking some classes, reading more, getting in better physical shape, and probably moving to a place that I would prefer to live rather than where I live now.

So its not like I would be retiring because there is one particular thing that I feel an intense urge to do. But things are not great now, and I have enough money, and so I figure I might as well try to eliminate something that is causing me stress and unhappiness, and improve the quality of my life.

I am not likely to pull the plug immediately, but thinking in the next two to six years.

It was easy for me, I like doing nothing. When I get tired of doing nothing I do something. Then I might do something else or just go back to doing nothing.

Decisions, decisions...

:)

There is nothing wrong with deciding to quit your job if you feel like you've had enough, and if you feel comfortable with your finances. If you find that you miss working, you can always pursue something else - possibly part time.

If you find you enjoy the free time and have no desire to go back to work, that's fine too.

I quit to quit W@RK! I had, and still do not have any objective. I am not out to save the world, I don't believe I have to find meaning in my life, I am not bored, even though I seldom do any structured activity!

I have come to realize each of us on this board is different, and what works for one may or may not work for others. I would say, you have to know yourself well enough to know what is important to you. No one on this board will be able to tell you that.

Yes, I have heard that advice before. But (no disrespect intended) it seems overly simplistic to me -- as if it were either 100% one or 100% the other. I suspect it rarely is.

I would be retiring because (1) I do not particularly enjoy my work; (2) I have worked very hard for 25 years; (3) I live with too much stress, and I don't think that is good for my health; (4) work is not going so well for me these days (even though I am making a good amount of money) and I find showing up every day, when things are not going very well, depressing; (5) I have enough money that I do not think I need to continue to work to save more money; and (6) while there is nothing that I have a burning desire to do, other than travel more, I am pretty sure I can find some things to do that I will enjoy, including taking some classes, reading more, getting in better physical shape, and probably moving to a place that I would prefer to live rather than where I live now.

So its not like I would be retiring because there is one particular thing that I feel an intense urge to do. But things are not great now, and I have enough money, and so I figure I might as well try to eliminate something that is causing me stress and unhappiness, and improve the quality of my life.

I am not likely to pull the plug immediately, but thinking in the next two to six years.

I like the idea of retiring to something but that is not always well-defined for many of us. And I'd personally like to think I have more than 1/3 of my life left. Maybe not.

Medved - we have chatted before. I really understand your hesitation. It took me a couple years to finally get to where I am mentally. Even then as I have recently posted - I go through a swing of emotions.

A book I read a year before ER really had an incredible impact on me. It basically points out that more $$$ won't equate to more happiness. It is found through other avenues. Of course you know this, but can you live this?

https://www.amazon.com/What-Happy-P...727797&sr=8-1&keywords=what+happy+people+know

Good luck and keep posting.

medved, I don't have any recommendations on books to read, as I didn't read any, but I think it's a good idea for you to do so. You asked for recommendations for reading, not personal advice, so I'll refrain from that.

I just want to wish you luck figuring this out, and best of luck to you as you make the transition. I hope you find the process enjoyable.

A book that I read before I retired and that resonated with me was , Get a Life, You don't need aMillion Dollars to Retire Well, by Ralph Warner. As I recall it emphasized the non financial aspects of retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It was easy for me, I like doing nothing. When I get tired of doing nothing I do something. Then I might do something else or just go back to doing nothing.

Decisions, decisions...

:LOL: You sound like me. When people ask.....' how do I like retirement', I say I finally found something I'm good at. Doing nothing. They either laugh or look at me like I'm an odd duck. I do have plenty of things to do to make me happy, but probably sounds boring to others. But that's fine.

Decisions, decisions...

Love it! There are plenty of long stretches where I do nothing... Interrupted by periods of activity. I retired 2 years ago (next week) and I've done *some* stuff - taken 3 semesters of Italian, organized and went on a 9 week Europe trip with the family, helped out on a local political campaign.... But I am perfectly content sitting in my easy chair reading posts here on ER.org.... walking the dog at the beach watching the early morning surfers.... reading a book in the hammock out back.

medved, I don't have any recommendations on books to read, as I didn't read any, but I think it's a good idea for you to do so. You asked for recommendations for reading, not personal advice, so I'll refrain from that.

I just want to wish you luck figuring this out, and best of luck to you as you make the transition. I hope you find the process enjoyable.

Thanks very much. While you are right that I asked for book recommendations (and I just bought two of the books recommended in this thread), I am very happy to receive personal advice too. I know many of you have gone through some of the same analysis that I am going through, and I value your insights and perspective.

Back
Top Bottom