Anyone going back to an old love?

Trying to work up the courage to get back on the motorcycle after lumbar fusion and a slightly bum/weak right leg I would be needing to brake with on occasion. I'll get there soon. Bicycling on my recumbent trike is also in the works. The guitars see more dust the past couple of decades since the fingers are getting stiffer. So now I've been developing some new hobbies - ceramics thrown on a wheel and metal sculpture.

Cheers!

Two years prior to retiring I bought a motorcycle, kids were gone and out of college and wife said keep life insurance current. Ten years later on my second bike an old man's crotch rocket, Yamaha FJR 1300 and have put over 20K miles on it, with trips all over the place, Key West, Outerbanks, Bourbon Trail, Dragon, Cherohala, to name a few. Also got into playing my guitar along with a younger buddy who can sing out in some sport bars every now and then. Don't know which DW dislikes most, probably the scooter. But my real jones is golf, which I play with regularity weather and daylight permitting. Retirement is time to enjoy yourself and do what you like.

If you do want to get back on the bike by all means take the motorcycle safety foundation rider course.

Last edited:
As I count down the days to retirement, I'm getting this strong desire to get back into motorcycling. I grew up with bikes, but haven't had one since about 1995.

When I was counting down the days to retirement, I had planned to get another motorcycle. I had several bikes in my late teens and early 20's and have kept my license "just in case". I haven't bought another one "yet" since my other hobbies have kept me pretty busy but your question get's me thinking about it again.

Beekeeping again, fishing along the coast, more hunting, shrimping and gardening. And they are not hobbies. They are real life things I take very seriously. I sure am glad work won't be in the way anymore of my life.

If you do want to get back on the bike by all means take the motorcycle safety foundation rider course.

+1 on that!

When I bought my bike four years ago I hadn't been on one since 1976 and the engine displacement was twice the size of the one I'd ridden then. I spent the first 100 miles putt-putting around the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd gear getting used to it and read a bunch of books on technique and stuff to be aware of.

Just go slow to start and don't push the envelope. Spend some serious bucks on riding gear. It's a lot cheaper than skin grafts, not to mention the pain involved.

I just saw this article about older riders and injuries:

Not easy riders: Aging bikers 3 times more likely to get injured - TODAY Health

So I keep all that in mind, but ride anyway. For a while longer yet.

I guess these posts were just what I needed to get jump started. I checked the motorcycle out yesterday and had my first ride in 2.5 years this morning. Granted it was a short 20 miles but it's a start and the back and leg held up fine. Maybe I will still be able to take some long trips in the future after all.

Cheers!

Had a few bikes pre-DW and occassionally I still get to thinking about a Harley or Ducati (hows that for two extremes), but DW does not approve of such thoughts:facepalm:. As to getting back to other things in retirement, I've been a jack of all trades and master of none, so lots of choices to recycle and enjoy again (fly fishing, model railroading, RC cars, go-karts, sports car racing, muscle cars, bowling, golf, boating, magic, painting/drawing, photography, woodworking, astronomy, shooting sports, ham radio, tennis, etc).

+1 on that!

When I bought my bike four years ago I hadn't been on one since 1976 and the engine displacement was twice the size of the one I'd ridden then. I spent the first 100 miles putt-putting around the neighborhood in 1st and 2nd gear getting used to it and read a bunch of books on technique and stuff to be aware of.

Just go slow to start and don't push the envelope. Spend some serious bucks on riding gear. It's a lot cheaper than skin grafts, not to mention the pain involved.

I just saw this article about older riders and injuries:

Not easy riders: Aging bikers 3 times more likely to get injured - TODAY Health

So I keep all that in mind, but ride anyway. For a while longer yet.

A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over. I like to ride the country roads away from all the assholes talking on cell phones and texting. Down here a nice day doesn't go by without reading about somebody on a bike getting creamed by a cage driver.

My cycle has been collecting dust for several years. Traffic has increased so much I don't feel it is safe to ride.

I have been away from flying for six years and want to fly upside down one more time. Currently have an offer on this:

2wgudq8.jpg

Last edited:
A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over.
And make sure never to fall asleep while you're splitting traffic on the freeway. (Yes, I did that, and woke up a second or two later to find that I was still on the bike and hadn't crashed into anything, but it scared the bejesus outta me.)

(Just an excuse to post a pic of my mom and her mom and dad from 1912...)
img_1282324_0_c339e254e0dbb183c325caee1d452daf.jpg

I love your grandma's hat! Is she sitting in a wicker chair? Note the complete absence of seat belts, car seats, etc!

A few keys of not getting killed on a bike are, never get in a hurry, never drink and ride and pretend as if every vehicle is out to run your old butt over. I like to ride the country roads away from all the assholes talking on cell phones and texting. Down here a nice day doesn't go by without reading about somebody on a bike getting creamed by a cage driver.

Amen to that. What kept me off a bike for decades was living in the Washington, DC area. Aside from just not being fun, the roads are just too crowded for safe bike riding.

Also I highly recommend these books by David Hough. He notes that about 50% of fatal bike accidents involve the bike rider being DWI. Sheesh, even at 17 I knew better than that!

As I count down the days to retirement, I'm getting this strong desire to get back into motorcycling. I grew up with bikes, but haven't had one since about 1995. I found my old leather jacket in the basement closet and I can still get into it. I'm dreaming of the day trips, destinations and carefree riding I can do again.

What old hobby/interest are you getting back to?

Just picked up my new Jeep Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. Next on the list is a Harley. Its been since the early '90 for me too. Then on to RE in May. :dance: Four wheeling will be new, but riding will be with friends since high school days. And yes, I'm retireing to the mountains of Colorado!

Pretend - nothing - around here you know they are! :facepalm:

Cheers!

My cycle has been collecting dust for several years. Traffic has increased so much I don't feel it is safe to ride.

I have been away from flying for six years and want to fly upside down one more time. Currently have an offer on this:

Every few months, I dream of getting back into flying. I have absolutely no reason to do so other than the pure joy of it. In the old days, at least I could pretend it was a faster way to get somewhere. Now, I just miss the freedom of soaring above it all. While it was expensive back in the day, now it's outrageously expensive (especially where I live). So, I'm considering hiring someone to fly me around - maybe someone who will occasionally let me take the controls. Every few weeks or even months, that should satisfy my jones for flying. Just hope DW is okay with it. She used to be a pilot's "widow" when I could go missing for hours at a time. Hanging out at the FBO was nearly as fun as flying. Don't think she'd go for that anymore. YMMV

I love your grandma's hat! Is she sitting in a wicker chair? Note the complete absence of seat belts, car seats, etc!

That's not a hat, that's a helmet!

I don't see a car seat either, but the fact that that baby become someone's Mom says it all worked out ;) They probably never got over 10 mph in that thing, and not much traffic. But still.

-ERD50

Every few months, I dream of getting back into flying. I have absolutely no reason to do so other than the pure joy of it. In the old days, at least I could pretend it was a faster way to get somewhere. Now, I just miss the freedom of soaring above it all. While it was expensive back in the day, now it's outrageously expensive (especially where I live).
Too bad the closest to you EAA chapter is in Hilo and not on Oahu.
You mentioned soaring - are you aware that there is a soaring club/commercial operation at Dillingham Airfield? I went up once with them on a nice ridge day, but yes - they were pricey.
How expensive are flying clubs or partnerships on Oahu?

Too bad the closest to you EAA chapter is in Hilo and not on Oahu.
You mentioned soaring - are you aware that there is a soaring club/commercial operation at Dillingham Airfield? I went up once with them on a nice ridge day, but yes - they were pricey.
How expensive are flying clubs or partnerships on Oahu?

sailor, thanks for the response. I haven't checked on clubs or partnerships on Oahu. One more (little) detail I haven't addressed is that I doubt I'd ever again pass the 3rd class medical cert. Without that, no one solos. But, I could still take dual "instruction" or (better yet) con someone into flying around with me as passenger. I'd pay all the costs while they would rack up flight hours toward a certificate - or just get to go out and fly on someone else's nickel (well, make that a few thousand nickels). That's sort of my current plan. First, I need to get to know some pilots. Only way I know to do that is to hang around an FBO and swap lies, er, tell stories, and drink coffee. Best place to do that is probably Dillingham, as you mentioned.

I've often watched the gliders when I was up on the North Shore. Looks like fun, but I've already done gliding - heh, heh, the time the fan quit on the Piper Colt I was learning to fly in. Everyone says the colt had the glide ratio of a brick. That's probably true - if the brick has a windmilling propeller out front slowing it down even more. But YMMV.

Thanks for the ideas.:flowers:

sailor, thanks for the response. I haven't checked on clubs or partnerships on Oahu. One more (little) detail I haven't addressed is that I doubt I'd ever again pass the 3rd class medical cert. Without that, no one solos.
Do you believe that have a handicap disqualifying you from flying? Or you are afraid that you will not to pass 3rd class Med Exam?
There is a relatively new (and growing) Light-sport aircraft category of airplanes, which can be flown with Sport Pilot Certificate and current driver's license instead of medical certificate.

Do you believe that have a handicap disqualifying you from flying? Or you are afraid that you will not to pass 3rd class Med Exam?
There is a relatively new (and growing) Light-sport aircraft category of airplanes, which can be flown with Sport Pilot Certificate and current driver's license instead of medical certificate.

re: 3rd class medical: I nearly did not pass at age 22 for a "condition" which is now more pronounced. Guessing I would not pass at 65. I could look into the alternate you mention, but honestly, the actual taking-the-controls flying would no longer be as important to me as being able to actually "fly". About 10 years ago, I had been away from flying for over 30 years (now over 40). I got a chance to take a "free" flight from a flight school. I was able to do everything except land (the instructor would have let me give it a shot, but the traffic was excessive that day.) While I enjoyed the heck out of the brief challenge, what I would prefer to regain is the freedom that flight brings. This could be adequately fulfilled by a "ride" - especially if the pilot let me "play" occasionally. To each his own and YMMV, and all that good stuff.

Thanks for the info!:greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom