Are RV's like Boats ?

plattj1 said:
Boats are more expensive. I say this for comparable levels of quality.
Add the word "marine" onto any product and the price immediately doubles.
TJ

Moemg said:
A 23' SeaRay

Sounds like a single engine trailerable day boat with a Mercruiser outdrive, versus a small express cruiser with full cabin. Huge upkeep difference between that and a 40 ft twin screw cruiser. Did you have to replace the motor-outdrive unit? Do you pay for marina space? Salt water use? That should be a very managable size boat cost wise.

Surfdaddy said:
You guys are really funny, thinking RVs and boats are expensive. Ha! :D

I'm a partner in an airplane. Now you're talking real money. :eek:
We know, we know! And you can't even comfortably spend the night in the thing!

Audrey

TargaDave said:
Sounds like a single engine trailerable day boat with a Mercruiser outdrive, versus a small express cruiser with full cabin. Huge upkeep difference between that and a 40 ft twin screw cruiser. Did you have to replace the motor-outdrive unit? Do you pay for marina space? Salt water use? That should be a very managable size boat cost wise.

That's what you would think but I think we bought a lemon .It's been in the shop more than it's been in the water .I live on salt water so that doesn't help.

I had an 18' Searay bowrider w/ 3.0l Mercruiser sterndrive. Relatively low-cost, though not entirely low maintenance. Fresh water lakes, though. Slightly underpowered for serious skiing/boarding. Of course, drinking beer while anchored in a cove was the primary use...

Surfdaddy said:
You guys are really funny, thinking RVs and boats are expensive. Ha! :D

I'm a partner in an airplane. Now you're talking real money. :eek:

I used to fly Skyhawks for fun: it was about $47 per hour wet to rent it, but the real cost is in the $80 hamburgers at the local airports ;).

Gave it up when work and weather conspired to ground me for 3 months or more (was in Wisconsin at the time). Too dangerous to dabble in.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I used to fly Skyhawks for fun: it was about $47 per hour wet to rent it,

That's cheap, isn't it? When was it? 1960s? :LOL:

I think rentals of Skyhawks are up to around $100/hr nowadays. Plus many FBO's charge a fuel surcharge of up to $10/hr.

My most recent calculations with a 3 person partnership and flying 60 hr/year is about $65/hr average. So that costs me around $4k/year. This is for an older Piper Cherokee 140.

A coworker owns a horse. Now (believe it or not) that makes my flying look almost reasonable.

But the rewards: I've flown from here in Southern California to the east coast, I've been up to Seattle and Idaho. I've flown over the Grand Canyon, the Rockies, the Sierras, Lake Tahoe, and Monument Valley. I've flown into the biggest airshow in the world (Oshkosh, WI). I've watched distant lightning storms in the predawn darkness and then watched the sun glisten over puffy cumulus clouds.

I've seen much of this wonderful country and met many great people.

It's been worth it to me!

http://www.trip.net/~snichols/phoenix/Phoenix%20T-30.JPG

About $5000 per season,(six month's) with storage haul out and slip fees. Plus any replacement and repair parts you do. 2006 new forward hatch glass $150.00 new full winter cover $4000 the old one lasted about 5 years the new one should last about ten years. New 96% storm jib $1300 the repairs are additional to the normal marina expense. You must be able to do a lot of the upkeep work yourself in order to keep the cost in line. Northeast NY Lake Champlain (should I buy an RV instead??).

teejayevans said:
Add the word "marine" onto any product and the price immediately doubles.

Yes, but the expectations are very different. The products need to stand up to salt water exposure.

One of the funniest product applications in the boat yard was when a do-it yourself-er applied exterior house paint to the hull of his boat because marine paint was too expensive. The boat yard refused to rent the guy a slip in the marina. He went next door. Wasn't long before it was a salvage operation.

Back
Top Bottom