Are you retired?

Retired at age 58 but also teach a class at the university & do consulting work in my previous profession. The teaching gig is new & I love it! I was bored after 6 months of full-time retirement. I also do volunteer work. I would have liked to semi-retire at 50 but couldn't afford it at the time. I needed more pension years & to be closer to 60 so penalty not so big.

Retired at age 60. I had never really assigned a number or date for retirement, just thought I would work until it wasn't fun any more and I did.

Retired- NO

Thought about retiring: 2 years ago.

Loved my job before but former boss retired and co workers who I enjoyed working with retired or forced to retire. New management moved in and hired his own team. different culture and creating clashes and job burnout. will start working part time (2 1/2 days a week- the half day will be working at home) starting June to lessen the stress and plan to fully ER next year.

DW (age 52) will work for another few years.

Currently I am 62 and I retired at 57. The plan was to retire at 62, but stock options accelerated my plan.

Yes
Retired at 62 May 2009
Planned to retire at 65
Offered me a buy out had 7 days to think about and was gone in 30 days
Best decision I ever made

Are you retired? YES

How old are you when you retire? 56

When do you want to retire? 55. The high paying and stressful career turned much less enjoyable when Sr. Management changed and the market sector I was in became too competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Are you retired? No

How old are you when you retire? 55 is target

When do you want to retire? 53 (currently 52).

I think we are FI, wife thinks we are too young (she's 9 months younger than me), she wants to wait until we are 55 at least...

Yes.

My goal initially was to become financially independent, so that I would have more choices and maybe make a career change as I approached my late 40s. As it turned out, I lost interest in my work and became fed up with corporate life, so once my portfolio hit critical mass I decided to just stop working all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes.

Retired at 41.

I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be retired or FI (even as a teenager). Once I got out of school (late 20s) I set myself a goal of retiring by 40 so I missed it by one year.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Retired- Kind of
I "retired" 3 years ago at age 55 from Mega Corp with a pension.
I got bored and went and got my real estate license. I now "work" 10-15 hours per week.

Are you retired? - Yes.

How old are you when you retire? - Retired at 55.

When do you want to retire? - Had planned on retiring at 58 but circumstances changed so moved it earlier.

Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 57

When do you want to retire? Planned to retire on 35th anniversary with same MegaCorp. Given incentive to retire at 34.5 years.

Yes

Thought I'd get into some consulting or PT work but after passing on a couple opportunities realized my new found freedom is priceless.

48 now

46 retired (2 months before 47th birthday)

Never had a particular age target but more like a check off list.

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Are you retired? Yes

How old are you when you retire? 59

When do you want to retire? Dec 2014

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

gvm adas
enuff

gvm

Are you retired? Yes

How old were you when you retire? 52 Now 64

When did you want to retire? I would have retired as soon as I finished college if it were possible.

Retired? No and will turn 54 in 3 months.
When planned? Can now if required. With a little tailwind in 2-3 years. Otherwise, 5-7 years.
Currently work for a Megacorp, but not terribly happy there. Thinking of other things to do instead....

Retired - yes

Age when retired - 33

When did I want to retire? - ASAP. Receiving a trust fund at age 18 wouldn't have been a curse at all. Well, maybe at age 20 after I finished college.

Retired - No Currently 40yo

Age when retired - N/A

I want/plan on being retired before my 50th birthday at the latest. Hopefully sooner if things keep up at their current pace.

Are you retired? Will be in two months.

How old were you when you retired? Will be 57 (56 now)

When did you want to retire? Sometime after 55; didn't have a clear timeline.

Are you retired?
Almost! A couple of months to finish a few outstanding jobs.

How old are you when you retire? Close to 55

When do you want to retire? I felt the desire really come on strong around when I turned 51. Being able to do it before 55 was a pleasant surprise.

Are you retired? YES

How old when retired? 54.5

When did you want to retire? 50 but knew I needed to stay to get a bigger pension. Retired when I reached a number that was ok for me. I couldn't have stayed a day longer.

Are you retired?

How old are you when you retire?

When do you want to retire?

I like to calculate the average age of the people here FIREed. It's a long dream of my but never have enough guts or money to pull the trigger.

enuff

Yes

I was 60

Originally I wanted to wait until I was 55 so I could get full retirement benefits from mega corp. The OMY syndrome set-in and then it is was 57.5, then greed set-in and I finally quit at 60.

Yes

But forced to because of health reasons - not because of following a FIRE plan. So not sure how I fit in with your average age stats.

Back
Top Bottom