Are you retired?

Turning out just fine!!!

Officially retiring in 4 months at 58. Laid off a year and a half ago, gov't is paying my mortgage for 18 months and will be paid off in another three years, and have been back and forth to my favorite place, Hawaii, a dozen times since, visiting grand-kids and enjoying hikes in Koko Head . Will be collecting pension soon and just managing my portfolio. I'm relatively in good health and enjoying the outdoor activities. This is life and freedom after slavery for me and I am thoroughly enjoying it. :)

Last edited:
Yes, retired at 53, had originally planned to work to 55 but buyout offer came along too good to pass up along with being fed up.

Almost - 10 more w*ork days
Originally set goal at 55.

Just 7 such days for me.

5 days past 60

Never thought about it until several years ago reading Scott Burns referring to one's 50's as the "50's minefield", or something like that. He was referring to studies showing most retirement plans get derailed during one's fifties due to a serious health condition or job loss from which one doesn't recover. He provided some pretty startling statistics (since confirmed in more studies) showing the gap at which workers expect they'll retire and the (sometimes much) younger age retirees report actually retiring.

Retired at 53 in 1993; no need to work

:greetings10:How old are you when you retired? 53

When did you want to retire? I had planned to work until maybe age 65. The collapse of the defense industry in Southern California ended my career. I was 53 at the time, 1993. I though I had enough money already to retire then. I was wrong about that, but the bull market of the 1990's bailed me out. My investments have supported me with room to spare for 22 years of retirement.

Yes, 52, 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I am retired! I retired at age 41, a little over six years ago. When I first started working after college, I thought I would be able to retire at 55. As I got older and work got worse, that goal kept moving up.

56, not retired yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yes. Retired for just over two months. 60 years old. Retired as soon as I could pull pension.

I turned 51 last month.

I retired Sept 30 2011 at age 47.

I remember thinking about financial independence as early as college days, but it wasn't until I was in my mid-30s, after about 10 years of corporate life, that I had become disillusioned enough to put a specific plan together.

I love being retired.

Last edited:
I retired at age 52. That was four years ago.Wonderful feeling. I'm happy not to dread Sunday jafternoon, my weeks are marked by Sunday morning church attendance. Yeah!
I spend much less money than pre retirement and travel a lot more.
Praise God!

Last edited:
No, not retired. Age 59. I enjoy this forum although I will (am) not an early retiree. I actually like my job, little to no stress, walk to work, etc etc. Some days I can't believe they pay me. Plus security is very important to me and I'd rather continue working for awhile to make really, really sure my future is financially secure.

I am sorry, but I will be pulling your average up. My wife was brain injured in 1993, and I had to keep wor*ing to have coverage for her. I was 55 at the time, and probably could have retired then if not for her situation.
She passed away in 2005, and having nothing better to do, I kept wor*ing.
i remarried in 2007, and retired a year later at the age of 70

Yep. Planned to retire at age 65, got fed up with politics and quit 2 years ago at age 61. Life is good.

I retired 3 months ago at age 53. It's been a great so far, and I can't imagine ever working again.

Retired on April 30th 2016 at 46 years old. Children are 17, 11 & 11. so far, so good. Missing my co-workers but not the work. Enjoying more time with the kids & hoping to improve my handicap.

1. Yes

2. 54 1/2

3. Always planned to retire at age 55 (when I would normally qualify for my pension), but there was a reorganization (downsizing) going on in our agency the year before that, and I applied for and received an early-out. I got the pension I wanted, so I retired 6 months early. No regrets, it all worked out just fine.

Retired at 60, actually the day after my 60th birthday. I am 69 now.

Retired two years ago (June 2014) this month at age 62. DH and I had a plan and stuck to it. I feel like I'm a very lucky gal to have been able to retire when I did and to be healthy to enjoy it. I lost a dear friend a few months before we both should have retired. Life is good and DH and I will be enjoying our son's wedding in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom