Asheville NC

medved

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all. Anyone here live in Asheville, or moved there following retirement? I am getting ready to ER and looking to move there. Would love to hear from someone who did that.

I have lived there before (in the 90s) and am doing an ER back to WNC this summer too. Depending on your budget, and where you are coming from, housing in Asheville is pretty pricey. Check out the City-Data forum too for some WNC specific discussions of relocation.

In my family's case we are looking at some of the towns west of Asheville. Waynesville, Sylva, and as far as Franklin are all pretty nice. Hendersonville is a popular alternative to Asheville but is located on a plateau and lacks the views IMHO.

Thanks for the responses. We have been to AVL a bunch of times -- usually for only a few days or a week, but one time for a month. So we have a decent idea what its like. But of course not like someone who lives there.

It does seem the housing is pretty expensive. We probably should have bought a place there 5 years ago. Oh well. I am not too concerned though because we have saved a decent amount of money, and we are coming from a location that is more expensive than AVL.

But another issue is the housing stock. There are just not that many houses of the type and in the neighborhoods that we like that are for sale. And demand is high, so houses sell quickly, and sometimes with multiple offers. That is easier to deal with if you are already living there, and can "pounce quickly" rather than coming from of town.

I agree with the observation that AVL is diverse, both politically and in other ways -- homeless people and hippies, well-off and highly educated retirees, outdoorsy types, etc. One of the things we like about AVL is that these groups all tend to co-exist pretty well. It is less balkanized than where we come from.

The cold winters are a concern. Wife would like to address that by buying a condo in FL. My preference would be to just rent places in the winter, when we want to escape the cold. A couple of months in the Caribbean or FL or whatever, to break up the winter. We will see. First we need to find a house in AVL and then I need to pull the plug at w*rk.

Last edited:
Yea, I lived for some time, as a kid, in upstate NY. The difference is now I have a choice where to live!

No, Asheville is not politically diverse, but extremely liberal. If you want consrvative, go to the rural part of WNC, where you often see Confederate flags proudly waving from front porches and pickups.

Hi all. Anyone here live in Asheville, or moved there following retirement? I am getting ready to ER and looking to move there. Would love to hear from someone who did that.

Following this thread. Asheville interest me as well, but I think we will likely move from Seattle to Charleston.

No, Asheville is not politically diverse, but extremely liberal. If you want consrvative, go to the rural part of WNC, where you often see Confederate flags proudly waving from front porches and pickups.

AVL does have a "liberal reputation" -- and the city itself is pretty liberal - but Buncombe county voter registration is about 37% Democratic, 27% GOP, and 37% independent. So, whatever the reputation, there is in fact a good amount of political diversity. Asheville is represented in Congress by Rep, Cawthorn, a Republican.

In any event, I don't judge people based on their political views. Sure, there are views that I find abhorrent -- people who advocate white supremacy, terrorism, violence, etc. But I have been around long enough to know that there are people of goodwill with all sorts of different political views, and I don't need to live in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with me. Indeed, my favorite political discussions are with really smart people who disagree with me. That is a great way to learn. And if someone can recommend a good hiking trail, a great new taco place, or the best session IPA in town, then I don't care what their politics are!

Medved, what things interest you about Asheville? I live in WNC. Visit AVL from time to time. Love the trendy restaurants, Biltmore Estate and Village. Shopping is just like any other city.

I live higher up, so I view the winters there as kind of warm. Currently, AVL is a warm 25 and we are sitting pretty at 17.

I would live in one of those small towns 20 minutes from AVL. Looks like plenty of housing stock. Do you want a no maintenance townhouse? A 2 car garage in a development kind of house? A mountain estate with no one around and views?

Medved, what things interest you about Asheville? I live in WNC. Visit AVL from time to time. Love the trendy restaurants, Biltmore Estate and Village. Shopping is just like any other city.

I live higher up, so I view the winters there as kind of warm. Currently, AVL is a warm 25 and we are sitting pretty at 17.

I would live in one of those small towns 20 minutes from AVL. Looks like plenty of housing stock. Do you want a no maintenance townhouse? A 2 car garage in a development kind of house? A mountain estate with no one around and views?

We like (in no particular order) living in a smaller city but still with lots of stuff to do, a walkable downtown, great restaurants, lots of independent (non chain) businesses, excellent beer selection and bars we enjoy hanging out at, beautiful scenery, lots of great hiking opportunities without a long drive, the farmers markets, the slightly "off beat" environment (especially in West AVL but certainly other places too), Southern breakfasts, the coffee shops, hidden terraces to have a meal or a drink, some local educational opportunities, mostly friendly people, lots of people "from away" so we would not be unusual, the River Arts district, a very civilized airport, and a "live and let live" environment, where people tend to respect one another and get along even if they come from very different backgrounds -- or at least more of that than where we come from.

In terms of housing, we would like to be close to commercial activity -- ideally walking distance, but that is not essential if there are compelling trade offs, such as very nice views. A big enough house (at least 2500 square feet) that is relatively quiet and in excellent, renovated, modern-on-the-inside condition. I like Montford. Wife likes East West Asheville. We have looked in some other neighborhoods too and we are flexible.

The small surrounding towns seem very nice. I liked Weaverville, for example, But coming from urban areas I think we might be better off more close in. We will pay more for that, but we are OK with that.

We would likely leave for at least a month every winter, to go someplace warm.

Last edited:
For anyone interested in the NC mountains but looking for less expensive and less
"hipster"-- look at the Boone, NC area, including Banner Elk and Blowing Rock. Beautiful area with a nice University.

Have you considered enlisting the help of a local real estate agent?
It might be helpful to have a local person working for you that knows what you have in mind. Then when a property comes available, they could send you the specs on the place.

I thought a while back that Asheville could be a possible retirement landing spot. Then we visited. A few hours downtown was more than enough to convince me that Asheville wasn’t for us. Seems to be more of a big city than what I expected.

Asheville is nice but as mentioned already I prefer Boone, NC. It’s smaller and home to App St. The surrounding areas such as Blowing Rock are nice as well. My wife and I would move to Boone if we could both gets jobs. Nothing wrong with Asheville but I’d definitely check out Boone, NC if you are considering the NC mountains.

At one time I thought we'd move south in retirement. Didn't happen, but we did go visit Ashville. Two things struck me as concerning. There did not appear to be a good amount of healthcare. I think there were two major hospitals, but it seemed thin in that area. The more significant issue was found driving around. I had never driven around in a mountainous area. Well, that was interesting. I can't imagine driving there in my later years. Like most things, if you're serious about it, go visit. Rent a place. Overall, it was cool, but I think I like flat land.

Following as I have considered doing the same myself. One thing I’ve heard is that with an influx of Northerners with the same idea, housing prices there have skyrocketed. Affordable living is progressively getting further out from Asheville proper.

Last edited:
When I put my home up for sale last September (resort town) several realtors face timed the walk through & talked with the clients. We had at least 13-14 showings the first day. Realtor was scheduling every half hour. I ended up with 13 offers...all over asking. (that was the plan)

So if you can't make a showing there are options

Where could one find a no maintenance condo,apartment or townhouse with nice mountain views as well in that area?

Where could one find a no maintenance condo,apartment or townhouse with nice mountain views as well in that area?

Look at Sugar Mountain ( a ski area) in Banner Elk--it is closer to Boone, NC. Many nice reasonably priced condos, many with mountain views. You could leave for Florida in the winter and rent your condo to skiers.

Following as I have considered doing the same myself. One thing I’ve heard is that with an influx of Northerners with the same idea, housing prices there have skyrocketed. Affordable living is progressively getting further out from Asheville proper.

That is definitely right. AVL has become popular and prices are high. I am just accepting that because I want to live where I want to live... But if cost were the driving consideration, I would certainly pick a different place.

The more significant issue was found driving around. I had never driven around in a mountainous area. Well, that was interesting. I can't imagine driving there in my later years.

Then you won't like Morgantown, WV either. Before visiting make sure your brakes are in good shape. And if you really like excitement go when it's snowing.:LOL:

I thought a while back that Asheville could be a possible retirement landing spot. Then we visited. A few hours downtown was more than enough to convince me that Asheville wasn’t for us. Seems to be more of a big city than what I expected.

Reminds me of San Antonio. I used to LOVE visiting (still do) and thought living there would be A-OK. Well, I did live there...for 6 years and it really wasn't too much fun. A great place to visit, not so much to live. Asheville is a great place to visit, but I know I wouldn't like to live there. Now...a couple hours west of there? Now you're talking! :D

Reminds me of San Antonio. I used to LOVE visiting (still do) and thought living there would be A-OK. Well, I did live there...for 6 years and it really wasn't too much fun. A great place to visit, not so much to live. Asheville is a great place to visit, but I know I wouldn't like to live there. Now...a couple hours west of there? Now you're talking! :D
I've lived in San Antonio for most of the past 10 years while I wasn't overseas and agree that this is a great town to visit, both the city and the nearby Hill Country. However, the heat and the endless tracts of suburbs and sprawl is less than ideal for the long haul. I agree that west of Asheville is the way to go. Beautiful scenery, mild summers, and plenty of outdoor activities are the reasons I will be saying goodbye to San Antonio and retiring to WNC this fall.

You've got many options to go considering moving to the Smoky Mountains. Asheville's nice with fine restaurants and a bunch of breweries, but it's got a wide variance of people and things to do. I hear good and bad.

To the west of there, you've got mountain resort towns that are very popular with the Atlanta elites like Highland-Cashiers with golf/tennis communities that are just lovely.

85 miles north of Asheville, you've got Boone, NC which is a lovely small college town and Banner-Elk which is where Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain ski resorts are. B-E can get a little expensive, but there are condos and cabins all over that mountain. Most homeowners go home in the winter, however and it's pretty quiet there. The region is lovely with places like Grandfather's Mountain and other small towns.

An hour north of Asheville, you've got Johnson City and the Tri Cities which fairly populated. I especially like Johesborough and the area surrounding it. Tennessee is substantially less expensive on housing and taxation than North Carolina.

We keep a place in the Northeast Georgia Mountains. I'm especially fond of the counties along the NC border like Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Young Harris and Hiawassee. It's less expensive to live and every bit as beautiful as much of Western NC.

But one of the retirement hotspots is Cookeville, Tennessee--85 miles east of Nashville. It has everything you're looking for with Tennessee Tech University for culture, two magnificent huge lakes, incredible hiking and virgin whitewater streams. It's got a fine hospital too. But with I-40, you can be in Nashville or Chattanooga within an hour and Knoxville's just over an hour. It's far less expensive to live in than NC or SC or even GA.

Another area not mentioned yet is Brevard. Town conveniences, health care, good weather, and lots of hiking nearby.

We bought a place at 3,000’ elevation outside Lake Toxaway (E of Highlands, W of Brevard). What I LOVE about the area is the weather: it’s a temperate rain forest so it’s very lush. Might be too much rain for some (92” annual average). Brevard and Asheville both get less rain: it all dumps on us. My place borders a state park (Gorges), and there are hundreds of world-class waterfalls and thousands of miles of hiking trails very close by.

You get used to the mountain driving.

Back
Top Bottom