Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: At what age did you or will you retire?
Age 49 or younger 51 13.64%
Age 50-54 88 23.53%
Age 55-59 132 35.29%
Age 60-62 65 17.38%
Age 63-65 25 6.68%
Age 66-69 6 1.60%
Age 70 or older 7 1.87%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2020, 06:19 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

At age 22 I had an opportunity to buy the business where I was working for the past 3 years. I took it.

I made a plan in spiral notebook on my kitchen table how to pay off the business, pay myself a modest draw and invest the rest. I would work as hard as I could til I was 50 then sell the place and retire. The plan worked. I did just this at age 50 plus 7 months.

Working til 50 was an important goal to me. Financially, I ran through the end zone.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went at 58/59. Was ready to go earlier but was happy to wait for the golden handshake.

Walked away, never looked back. Downsized drastically and started to travel to our bucket list destinations. Still doing the same after nine years of retirement....well once this covid issue gets resolved and it is safe to move forward with our lives.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I was employed sporadically in-between, mentally I was retired from the time I was expelled from the second school age 14 until I finally ceased being engaged in drudgery at the end of 1988 age 46.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Planned of age 57 for my birthday. I left almost a year early on my terms. My VP was very afraid of his boss, the CIO, and it ruled his decision making abilities. I didn't want to be part of his insanity.

That was seven years ago and I have not had any earned income since. Nor am I going to. I'm 63, Medicare in less than 2 years and a healthy SS payment when I decide to take it.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #45

Formally retired at 60.
Was asked back off and on to train replacements, so worked on call a couple years.
Finally put a stop to it, as I knew it would continue if I didn't.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Although I was employed sporadically in-between, mentally I was retired from the time I was expelled from the second school age 14 until I finally ceased being engaged in drudgery at the end of 1988 age 46.
At least you weren't expelled from second grade at age 14.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Yes, but I want a poll that makes it clear that you are not retired if you are working for money in any capacity for any reason for any amount of time. For this poll it does not matter if you do not need the money, or the job is fun, or it does not feel like work, or you only work 2 hours a week, or you only do it because you are bored, or it is a temporary assignment, or any other reason. Working for money equals not being retired, including working to maintain real estate rental property. And you have no plans to return to work.
Quote:
Ok, out of respect for you I will allow this one exception...if you spend less than four hours per month maintaining a rental unit and you do no other paid work you can qualify as retired.
I'm pretty sure this is in the charter of the Internet Retirement Police.

I received a retirement certificate from the federal government in 2002. But I like to write, and people give me money for it, so I'm careful to make sure that I give away more money than I get from people. I've been doing this for 18 years. Am I still retired?

Oh, and I fix appliances for my neighbors in exchange for baked goods. Under the stringent conditions of this definition, I may never be retired.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
At least you weren't expelled from second grade at age 14.
If I hadn't been a recalcitrant truant I might even have made it to second grade.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not to the exact strict sense that the OP is laying out, but I also agree generically that if one is working part time for monies in a job they love, it is not really being retired in the true sense.
Hey we all feel different about it.
Just like the comments about proper safe WR% typically are different for those that don't need their funds.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Planned on 55, gave notice near my 56th birthday in 2011. We had moved to our retirement home on the lake in May 2011 and sold our main home in Nov 2011.... having one home rather than two reduced our expenses a lot plus we had the procceds from the sale of the main house in the bank... so it was time to hang it up and enjoy life even though I still liked my job and the people I worked with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shooting for 55, the earliest at which I can draw benefits from employer.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #52

57 for me.

Fwiw, the results of this poll look similar to the results of the one cited in post #2, with a similar peak around 56-60. I also remember another poll from years ago, around the time I first joined, where the average ER age was around the same, about 57.

So, it looks to me like it doesn't matter a whole lot how you define ER, you get pretty much the same results, at least in this crowd -- a semi bell-shaped curve with skew to the early years and a peak around 56-59, give or take a year.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #53

Quote:
Ok, out of respect for you I will allow this one exception...if you spend less than four hours per month maintaining a rental unit and you do no other paid work you can qualify as retired.
Yay!!!

planned on 55, but discovered this forum when I was late 40's... started learning more, and making really painless changes to our budget to reduce the nominal spend. (Extra to mortgage for example... with the goal of paying off the mortgage before retiring). By diverting extra to debt and savings we discovered we could live very comfortably on less money... which meant we didn't need as large of a nest egg. The goal was to not have to downshift lifestyle in retirement... but not go hog wild on spending in retirement either.

2 years of tweaking our annual spending, and increased savings I started getting really positive results in all the calculators... and pulled the plug at age 52. After a few decades working as an engineer, then quitting to retire... it's good to know that I'm really retired.

I have 2 very small pensions. Hubster is on SS. 529's for the kids were prefunded. The granny flat was built for granny (My mother in law and father in law) but when they were past semi-independent living (dementia) we rented it out. It's a nice income stream, so why not. We could stay retired w/out it... but it would involve cutting into discretionary spending more than I'd wish to... and the charities I give to and take out restaurants I enjoy would be worse off.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

My body walked out of the office the last time when I was 60... My mind/spirit/interest left a few years before that. However, due to deferred compensation benefits, my last check came in 7 years later. Some benefits (not pension) will last for my lifetime. So I'm not sure how to vote.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:25 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I was 57 and 2 months. DH was 60.5. He retired about 6 months before me. He was with the same company for 37 years. Great retiree health insurance, decent pension and generous 401k match. I only had decent 401k match.
We feel very fortunate.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #56

Oh, no, the retire police are back trying to define what retirement means!!

I answered at 70+ as I do things that earn me reportable and taxable income. Last year had about $700 in earned income. This year so far I've earned about $100 compensation for helping friends and family do their tax returns. Three years ago it was more like $12K, which was about a tenth of what I made last year of career job. At this rate, it may take several more years to phase out to zero earned income.

But left my career job over 20 years ago.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Truly" retired (at least according to OP's definition of earning $0 from w*rk activities) at age 55 in early 2019. DW at 61, mid 2019.

This forum was a large part of our ability to do so..

BTW..re: this "pension" thing some talk of..what's a pension? Yeah, we have no pensions. Either of us. Good investment planning..passive income from CDs (OK, that's pretty much gone now)..tracking our expenses religiously and knowing what we can spend. All that and more.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #58

Quote:
At what age did you fully retire, or at what age do you plan to fully retire? I define "retire" as not working for money...
I'm surprised that the poll doesn't include the option "Never". The OP apparently believes that full retirement is so attractive that any sane and rational person would hunger for it. I disagree. My Dad is still working (according to the OP's definition) at 80+ years old, and if I make it to that age with my mental abilities reasonably intact, so will I. Why, if I won't need the money? Well, I won't bother to go into the details here. Let's just say that sometimes there are substantial non-financial reasons to stay in the game until they drag you out by your boots.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I planned to retire by 59 pretty much from the time we got married, 38 years ago. I did fully retire at 61, but really that was because we bought our “final” home and were fixing it up. For everyone’s amusement: when the startup I worked at got bought in 2008, DW got to retire, not me...
Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I'm surprised that the poll doesn't include the option "Never". The OP apparently believes that full retirement is so attractive that any sane and rational person would hunger for it. I disagree. My Dad is still working (according to the OP's definition) at 80+ years old, and if I make it to that age with my mental abilities reasonably intact, so will I. Why, if I won't need the money? Well, I won't bother to go into the details here. Let's just say that sometimes there are substantial non-financial reasons to stay in the game until they drag you out by your boots.
Why are you posting here and not on the Never-Retire.org forum?

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote