Back afloat

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
In the past week, we sold Dory and received a 35' Bristol Yawl as part of the payment.
rw5.jpg

When the discussion of cash or trade came up, we discouraged the cash -- It looks like the cruising life hasn't left our blood.

Spending a few days over New Years' with friends aboard their boat in Florida confirmed that we weren't ready to swallow the anchor (as cruisers term moving ashore).

This all transpired quickly - starting a couple of days before Christmas - and it's too late to join the cruisers who are already in Florida and headed for the Bahamas shortly. Besides, we will likely spend a month or two refitting the new boat before we move aboard. So we'll be ashore for another 9 months or so, then spend probably something like half time aboard for another season or two.

The boat name is being debated. The current favorite is "Youghal" which is the name of a town in Ireland where our rental car broke down during a trip in September. We really enjoyed the accidental stop there.

It's a bit of a pun, as the Irish pronounce "Youghal" as "yawl", and the boat is a yawl (sailboat with two masts, the shorter of which is behind the rudder post). And of course, being a son of the south, "y'all" is a standard term.

One friend says it should be named "Howdy Youghal" but I doubt we'll go that far. I can just imagine being hailed by the Coat Guard...

But we won't make a final decision on the name foir another month or so. That's when we have to send in papers to the Coast Guard for the documentation.

Dory36

Beautiful boat. I read that Yawl is derived from a german word meaning jolly. You might be able to use that. Of course, there's mizzen you and other puns.

Dory:

A fine looking vessel. Congratulations. I hope she brings you plenty of fair winds and following seas. And thanks again for creating the most useful RE site on the Web.

Dick
RE'd, and a So Cal sailor

Dory36,

Looks great. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with her.

By the way how does she compare to your dory 36 as far as useable space onboard?

Moguls
(Really liking this ER stuff)

Thanks for the kind words. Nothing warms a boater's heart more than compliments on his boat!

The yawl will have probably slightly more ready storage, in cabinets and lockers and so forth, but won't have a second cabin (bedroom) that Dory had. We used it only 2-3 times for guests -- it was the storage room other times. As for living space, I'd say it is about the same inside, or maybe slightly more usable space. It has a bit less outside sitting space.

All in all, the perfect size -- it will allow 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner, and 2 for sleeping.

Dory36

Sounds like the perfect size. You can have a small party for drinks, quiet dinner for 2 couples, then everybody can "go home" so you can get some sleep. And without that second cabin minimal risks of extented stays. Sounds perfect to me.

Moguls

Hello Dory! I agree it's a beauty. BTW, what is your theory on renaming boats??
You may recall that
a larger size power boat is part of our plan when we
arrive at "Margaritaville." We will not be living aboard,
but hope to have room for those activities you describe.
Whenever we talked about relocating, two things were
carved in granite. Winters had to be at least mild and
we needed to be near a large body of water. Making
progress but slowly. To be continued...................

John Galt

Dory

I saved your post - my oldest nephew is out of the Navy come August and Puget Sound is too far from Bay Saint Louis for even them to sail their boat.

Back
Top Bottom