Blow That Dough! - 2019

We are redoing most of our home. The kitchen was a very large part of the effort. We hired out the countertop and laying the backsplash, but otherwise it was all our work. Took it down to studs and rebuilt.
h5MciiGm.jpg
mmpjCLdm.jpg

Blowing that dough! Just bought new tires for the truck. Interesting observation on inflation (or lack there of): old tires were 10 years old cost $211/tire in 2009, the same tire today was $206. Both old and new sets of tires were BF Goodrich 285/75R16 all Terrain.

White cabinets are the norm now. Oh my! Both of my homes are way outdated with stained cabinets.

So are mine and they are brand (1 yr) new. Stained solid maple, I like wood.

If you're gonna paint 'em just use MDF. Masonite. Particle board. Melamine.

We are redoing most of our home. The kitchen was a very large part of the effort. We hired out the countertop and laying the backsplash, but otherwise it was all our work. Took it down to studs and rebuilt.
h5MciiGm.jpg
mmpjCLdm.jpg

Beautiful kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

White cabinets are the norm now. Oh my! Both of my homes are way outdated with stained cabinets.

Nothing wrong with stained cabinets if that is what you like best. Personally I love my white cabinets. They brighten up the kitchen and lift my spirits.

From what I read online, white cabinets are now considered to be outdated. That's not really keeping me up at night. :D

Not just the cabinets, but both my homes got stained doors and casings, floor moldings, window casings. Very old style. :) One home is 35-year-old, the other is 14-year-old.

That said, I like white cabinets a lot more than dark cabinets as shown below.

dark-kitchen-cabinets_Sebring-27-Services.jpg

Last edited:
Not just the cabinets, but both my homes got stained doors and casings, floor moldings, window casings. Very old style. :) One home is 35-year-old, the other is 14-year-old.

That said, I like white cabinets a lot more than dark cabinets as shown below.

dark-kitchen-cabinets_Sebring-27-Services.jpg

Nice!

When dark cabinets come back in style again, you will be set. :cool:

No.

The above dark cabinets are just examples from the Web of something that some people do now instead of white cabinets. I would not like something that dark.

Mine are stained, and wood colored. And not shown. I have to clear up the clutter. Too much work for a photo. :)

There are now two tastes: black or white. Mine is neither. :)

Last edited:
Just replaced butcher block formica with granite.

But made my new desk out of real 1.5 inch thick butcher block maple. No stain just varnish. Kitchen cabs are maple stained tan.

Waiting for my Harvest Gold Formica countertops to come back in style.

We had some with gold speckles in them!

And Ex-DW had pink ones in her house ('70s construction). After she passed and DD and I remodeled her house to sell it, we left the pink countertops in. House sold without any price reduction. :LOL:

At least I put in better countertops in the older home. The newer home already had granite countertops.

My sister on the other hand does not bother. She just does not care. She and BIL have $5M to $6M of investable assets. BIL said he suggested that they had new countertops. He said that my sister said "Not worth the trouble. Nah!".

And that's that.

Just blew some dough on a cruise $5K for next year, still got to find some hotels in Edinburgh Scotland, and London, prior to the cruise.

Don't have a lot of time, as got to fly to BC Canada, a few days prior to our 2 wk cruise to HI. (it's not really a blow the dough thing, as it was so cheap, we had to go :) )

At least I put in better countertops in the older home. The newer home already had granite countertops.

My sister on the other hand does not bother. She just does not care. She and BIL have $5M to $6M of investable assets. BIL said he suggested that they had new countertops. He said that my sister said "Not worth the trouble. Nah!".

And that's that.

She might be right, I spent 6 months renovating a kitchen because it was a nightmare, only to see the market drop and probably sold for less than it could have with the crap kitchen. :facepalm:

She might be right, I spent 6 months renovating a kitchen because it was a nightmare, only to see the market drop and probably sold for less than it could have with the crap kitchen. :facepalm:

I've often been told that this sort of renovation is a waste of money because the new buyer will probably have different ideas about what looks good and may rip out all your work and do it over themselves. So better to leave it as is.

Kitchen and bathrooms are suppose to be the best renovations for returns.

.... My sister on the other hand does not bother. She just does not care. She and BIL have $5M to $6M of investable assets. BIL said he suggested that they had new countertops. He said that my sister said "Not worth the trouble. Nah!". ...

Sounds like my aunt and uncle... their heirs and charities will be thankful.

Since DW passed I do nothing but repair and replace broken items. I really don't care about appliance looks, cabinets and countertops.
I did replace all ten broken drawers in my kitchen, And while I was at it sanded and stained all the cabinets. That harvest gold Formica looks fine to me.
When I age out of here someone will have a great time putting in exactly what they want.
Sounds like my aunt and uncle... their heirs and charities will be thankful.

And that's that.

We're in that mindset too. While we have nowhere near $5M in assets we could afford the granite (or whatever is currently in style) countertops. But neither one of us sees how they would improve our daily lives so we don't bother.

I've often been told that this sort of renovation is a waste of money because the new buyer will probably have different ideas about what looks good and may rip out all your work and do it over themselves. So better to leave it as is.

From what I have read, no major renovation gets 100% of its costs back when the house is sold. Somethings do better than others, but the main reason for doing them should be to enjoy one's home, not pump up the selling price.

According to this article, adding attic insulation is the only improvement that earns more than its cost (108%). The next best is a new steel front door that earns 91% of its cost.

https://clark.com/homes-real-estate/home-remodel-upgrades-with-best-return/

Back
Top Bottom