Blow That Dough! - 2019

Ran off to South Florida for 5 nights to recharge.
Spared no expense on great seafood and playing tourist.

Thanks! It's my first real off-road vehicle. I've always wanted a 4Runner. I love having 4WD for the CA mountains and deserts. We have a ton of BLM land to explore out here.

The mileage is a real bummer - especially after driving a Prius for 10 years. Fortunately I don't drive nearly as much as I did before retiring - maybe 6K mi/yr. OTOH, I'm sure I'll be doing more long trips now that I have a good vehicle to get me there.

Like it!

Ordered up 2 pounds of fresh Maine lobster meat for Valentines day - :)

Free shipping over $100!

DH is at it again!

I thought he bought all his toys last year, but now he decided that he needed a new bike with some cool technology like a belt instead of a chain and disc brakes and some fancy German gearing system - gearbox designed by Porsche engineers. He ordered a rather expensive bike from the builder in NY.

He uses a bike almost every day when we are at home. He does a lot of riding to sites with his camera gear. His old bike is over 10 years old. I can't blame him.......

Has anyone bought any expensive original artwork ? Did you feel it was a worthwhile investment ? (beyond appreciating it's beauty and aesthetics)

DW has expressed an interest in owning an original painting by one of her favorite artists. I've looked into it and it seems it would be the region of about $20K

I know nothing of art. We are not "art and wine" types (more netflix and cider) but I know this would be a lifetime highlight for her and something she would truly treasure. We can easily, easily afford it.

To be coldblooded about it, the artist is in his 80s as well... I do believe it would appreciate in value after his passing.

Buy it for her! I would never buy art as an investment. We were watching Antiques Roadshow, and they had prices from 2003 and 2018. Some went up, some went down.
I fell in love with a special piece of Steuben glass. It was about $15K in 1989. I could not afford it, but had a copy made. I checked recently and the price was down to $13K!
I can afford it now, but am happy with my copy:)
I am reminded of those art auctions on cruise ships, which were mostly a swindle. The buyers were touted that it was a great investment until they tried to sell it.

Very true. I would hope it would be a "store of value" more than any sort of investment I expected to ever sell (she would likely leave it to one of our nieces).

Hmm.. there are limited edition lithographs of his available. Signed, series of 100 or so.
They range more in the $4K level.

Would that be worthwhile ? Would it have the same "cachet" ? I can't ask DW.. haha

I know little about art (obviously).

Very true. I would hope it would be a "store of value" more than any sort of investment I expected to ever sell (she would likely leave it to one of our nieces).

Hmm.. there are limited edition lithographs of his available. Signed, series of 100 or so.
They range more in the $4K level.

Would that be worthwhile ? Would it have the same "cachet" ? I can't ask DW.. haha

I know little about art (obviously).

Here is my thought:
if you bought an original signed by the artist, it is unique. If you bought a lithograph of 1 of 100, you are competing against 99 other copies.
We bought a glicee print because we loved the subject matter. it was 1 of over 300. I never expect it to appreciate, but it looks nice on our wall.

I agree with souschef, buy the art because it brings joy into your life. If it happens to appreciate a lot that is just a bonus. Art is not an investment, IMHO. For starters, you will need to insure it, then take steps to preserve it. That all comes out of the profits, if there are any.

FWIW, when I travel, I try to find out about a local artist whose work I enjoy but who is not famous and thus overpriced. Assuming I do, that is my one 'souvenir' splurge. Last Fall I bought a delightful glass pumpkin from a glass blower's shop. What fun it will be to bring it each year to decorate my home.

Has anyone bought any expensive original artwork ? Did you feel it was a worthwhile investment ? (beyond appreciating it's beauty and aesthetics)

DW has expressed an interest in owning an original painting by one of her favorite artists. I've looked into it and it seems it would be the region of about $20K

I know nothing of art. We are not "art and wine" types (more netflix and cider) but I know this would be a lifetime highlight for her and something she would truly treasure. We can easily, easily afford it.

To be coldblooded about it, the artist is in his 80s as well... I do believe it would appreciate in value after his passing.
I buy art, but not as an investment because I don't think that its increase in value in the long run can be taken for granted. I buy art because it enriches my life. I buy mutual funds for investments.

Also, for me, half the fun is looking for and finding a painting or sculpture that I really like a lot, for less than $100. I have never spent more than $140 on a painting or sculpture, and it takes a lot of time, effort, searching, and frankly discernment to acquire appealing artwork at low prices. Anybody can find beautiful art at high prices.

Another factor is that if you have expensive artwork in your home, you need to go talk to your homeowner's insurance agency about it and get it specifically covered. Me? I don't need to do that. :D

So I guess I am saying that buying art is a wonderful idea. But if it was me, I'd seek out and buy an excellent copy of one of the artist's paintings, not an original.

My late MIL was an accomplished oil painter and we have several of her works around the house, and I consider them priceless. I also collected signed Bev Doolittle lithograghs before she retired, and those, too, are hanging around the house. At one time some of them we pretty pricey on the secondary market, but I enjoy the subject manner more than I would enjoy selling them. But as the saying goes, everything is for sale except the wife and kids......but tell me again, what did you want for the wife??:)

When DW and I were shopping for the couch a few threads above, the designer tried to sell us a Oriental rug for $8,000 and some dumb painting that "had the right colors as the rug" for $3,000.

We decided to take a trip to the west coast during DW's teaching spring break next month to visit some friends from college we have not seem face to face for almost 15 years. We are bringing one of our sons. I booked the flight earlier this week; today I thought what the heck, DW and this son have never flown in first class, now is as good a time as any. So I upgraded our flight seats to first class - certainly not a frugal act, given the cost :LOL:. They will enjoy 5 hours each way on the plane. I will keep it a secret until they get their boarding passes at the airport.

DW and I took a break from the MD winter and spent 5 nights on St John. Flew direct from Dulles to St Thomas. Ferry across to St John. Rented a jeep and an AirB&B. Great trip. Sprung for economy plus for the flight back. A shout out to "Extra Virgin". Had literally a top 5 lifetime meal there. Great service too. Right in Cruz Bay on St John if you get down there. Probably do St John again next year but also want to see St Croix. I sleep better in U.S. territories for some reason. Returned to write a 46K check to my home builder. Should move in on or before 15 April.

We decided to take a trip to the west coast during DW's teaching spring break next month to visit some friends from college we have not seem face to face for almost 15 years. We are bringing one of our sons. I booked the flight earlier this week; today I thought what the heck, DW and this son have never flown in first class, now is as good a time as any. So I upgraded our flight seats to first class - certainly not a frugal act, given the cost :LOL:. They will enjoy 5 hours each way on the plane. I will keep it a secret until they get their boarding passes at the airport.

That is a neat surprise. But be prepared for the question: You spent HOW MUCH?:D

In all honesty, I am still spending down frequent flyer miles (down to about 125,000). Once in a while I find the difference between coach and FC to be such a deal, I just tell DW, "that's all they had".

DW and I took a break from the MD winter and spent 5 nights on St John. Flew direct from Dulles to St Thomas. Ferry across to St John. Rented a jeep and an AirB&B. Great trip. Sprung for economy plus for the flight back. A shout out to "Extra Virgin". Had literally a top 5 lifetime meal there. Great service too. Right in Cruz Bay on St John if you get down there. Probably do St John again next year but also want to see St Croix. I sleep better in U.S. territories for some reason. Returned to write a 46K check to my home builder. Should move in on or before 15 April.

About 30 years ago DW and I went to St. Croix. Beautiful island. We stayed at the Buccaneer, got a great rate. Everytime we went off property, when we told folks where we were staying, they said something like "oh my. we could not afford that". The price difference was only about $30-40/night. (just checked, current price is over $400/night)

Went to Buck Island for the underwater National park. FANTASTIC.

We leave next week for the DR. All inclusive. Never been there, but have liked the ones we stayed at in Jamaica.

BLOW That Dough!

I try to support a number of the local artists. A bunch of them work at one of the better restaurants in town.

Today's installment is that, after buying train tickets last week for a trip next month, I just upgraded them to Acela first class, mainly for the heaven of reserving "single" seats both ways, an important feature on a six-hour ride.

Looking at some of the food pics on Google, it looks pretty darn tasty.

On the art question, if the artist paints in oil, a lithograph won't have the texture and depth you often get from an oil painting. DFIL loves original art and his apartment could be an art gallery. We have a number of original oils and watercolors in various price ranges ($100 up to $5,000) as well as a lot of prints - we like art on our walls. If she really likes the artist and you want to make her really happy, just do it (although do heed the insurance warning from W2R above).

Our "blow that dough" treat for the past 18 months has been to get a large bouquet of fresh flowers every month from a European-style florist near us. DH likes them as much or more as I do, so although it started out as a birthday gift for me, we've kept it up.

Looking at some of the food pics on Google, it looks pretty darn tasty.

Google Maps says it's a Mediterranean restaurant?

Or maybe it's just Italian?

What's popular in the Caribbean? Do they have their own style of cuisine or is it mostly tailored for American tastes?

What's popular in the Caribbean? Do they have their own style of cuisine or is it mostly tailored for American tastes?
Both. The Caribbean has a very wide range of cuisines which reflect the many roots of their ethnic heritage and there are many differences among the islands.

I love the USVI, can’t wait to go back again!

Our spending in my first two years of ER has been about 50% of what FireCalc says is our SWR at a 95% confidence level over 30 years, so DW and I need to learn to "blow that dough!"

I got it into my head to buy a pump for homebrewing as lifting 5 gal buckets of near-boiling water up a stepladder to dump into a cooler teetering on a couple of milk crates on a folding table is getting old. As I was perusing web sites for the cheapest pumps available, I looked at our bank balances and decided to go for the best. And why not add tubing with quick-connects and get rid of the hose barbs? And add thermometers for all three vessels I use. And a couple of sight glasses. And a few other accessories which I won't try to explain here.

It felt good. I'm spending my day installing all this stuff. Can't wait for the weather to break so I can brew outside soon and try this out.

Next up: plan a great vacation for this year.

Bought an Omega Speedmaster Pro moon watch. And a JB Champion mesh bracelet for it. Now I get to play astronaut.

I'm not into watches as much as I used to be, but I'd really like an older Omega Constellation with the rice-style bracelet.

Back
Top Bottom