Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 months in Texas. One year in the new house. No clue from anyone during that time that gardening had the challenge of poor soil. We saw garden supplies and potted plants everywhere when we first arrived, so we assumed it was manageable. The area from Leander to Liberty Hill is brutal in some sections. Here I was thinking the biggest challenge would be dealing with the extreme summer heat and plant diseases (powdery mildew, black spot, etc.).

It is certainly not going to be cheap getting the soil to be reasonably workable in the yard. Even if we manage to break up the ground and bring in top soil and amendments, there is the issue of disposing of a lot of limestone.

I'm originally from New England so I know rocks (all glacial till back there). But here near Houston, we encounter the Beaumont Clay about a foot down, and then water. No basements here! We are a bit north of Houston so the clay is not too bad and we have some "hills" besides highway overpasses! LOL!

Thanks! We're excited about the "hog trough" garden boxes. I had an an in ground garden there before and stopped when the gophers ate all my plants. Man I had like 6 bell peppers going and went out one day and they were gone. The little thieves pulled them right into the burrrow, they were gone. When I dug down I found the plants underground.

Well now they have to go through 4 inches of compacted granite and some galvanized steel. My landscaper and his crew will be over tomorrow to do the final layout for the concrete contractor. Deck is going to be removed and a patio instead. Deck boards will be reused to make planter boxes around the patio.

In fifteen grand now will be 25 after the concrete work. Irrigation system has 6 valves, all the plants as well as the veggie garden will be self watered with the latest low usage drip method which has proven great as all the plants in the front yard look fine even in this current heat wave.

Put down a deposit on a boat. Im also waiting for a new dock and lift to be installed

I will have more in the boat and dock than many houses I’ve owned. Also more than my plane.

Between boat and home remodeling I’m really blowing that dough.

Attachments

• E761821E-4A70-4B7C-B68E-A6B2B74093D7.jpg
    E761821E-4A70-4B7C-B68E-A6B2B74093D7.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 0518F92F-A418-4083-9A91-8260557C6F2C.jpg
    0518F92F-A418-4083-9A91-8260557C6F2C.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 27D62B76-6403-48CE-826A-0602074C32FC.jpg
    27D62B76-6403-48CE-826A-0602074C32FC.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 76
Looks very nice, DM!

I don't know boats since I get very seasick. Is yours a runaround or for fishing or?

We built 1 foot tall raised beds for veggie garden in Central TX. The back yard literally had 1 inch of clay soil before hitting limestone.

Put down a deposit on a boat. Im also waiting for a new dock and lift to be installed

I will have more in the boat and dock than many houses I’ve owned. Also more than my plane.

Between boat and home remodeling I’m really blowing that dough.

Nice! So great to be outside on the water where it is safe!

Thanks! We're excited about the "hog trough" garden boxes. I had an an in ground garden there before and stopped when the gophers ate all my plants. Man I had like 6 bell peppers going and went out one day and they were gone. The little thieves pulled them right into the burrrow, they were gone. When I dug down I found the plants underground.

Well now they have to go through 4 inches of compacted granite and some galvanized steel. My landscaper and his crew will be over tomorrow to do the final layout for the concrete contractor. Deck is going to be removed and a patio instead. Deck boards will be reused to make planter boxes around the patio.

In fifteen grand now will be 25 after the concrete work. Irrigation system has 6 valves, all the plants as well as the veggie garden will be self watered with the latest low usage drip method which has proven great as all the plants in the front yard look fine even in this current heat wave.
I look forward to more pictures!

I can't navigate our back yard very well with a riding mower. So I bought a push mower just to do the back yard. So my stimulus $ went for the mower, tree saw, mulch and extension ladder. All bought locally to hopefully stimulate the local economy a little.

Ok, I’ll start playing, old Jennair gave up the ghost, just bought GE PROFILE PHS930 induction range $2400.00. Wow induction cooking is pretty impressive, got a rebate for 11 piece induction cookware $900 value. Had to reroute above range microwave to vent outside vise downdraft. I am still waiting on cookware, old calphalon didn’t work, gave to DD, Got cast iron stuff till new stuff comes in.

Good for you!

Yeah I did the same thing when I redid the kitchen. We love induction. Both fast and controllable, almost as good as gas.

Red wine, by the case.

Considering a new mistress since the current one is getting "old". She's got over 100,000 miles on her little things are starting to break. Tesla just dropped prices too so...Could get me a younger and less expensive "mistress"...

Red wine, by the case.

Considering a new mistress since the current one is getting "old". She's got over 100,000 miles on her little things are starting to break. Tesla just dropped prices too so...Could get me a younger and less expensive "mistress"...

Does your wife know?

My concrete contractor is out back laying down the forms for the patio and the walkways. Going to be 34 squares (10) 3'x3' and (24) 4'x4' also a 20'x6' pad for the side shed and a driveway repair and addition.

Nine more grand!

Yep, wife said I could get the roadster when it comes out, so she is fine with the current "mistress", cheaper one or the more expensive sleak, fast, curve hugging ... ;)
Very nice wife and vehicle..

I'm convincing myself I need a model Y performance. DW just said she doesn't care, doesn't want a loan so figure out where to get the money. I was doing some research on the model 3, as much as I should like it something didn't feel right. I had looked into the Y, but didn't want to wait till 2021, turns out they are shipping now. I really like the idea of it sitting taller as I have driven 4x4 pickups for 30 years.

I'm having a little trouble spending 63k on something I've never seen or driven.

Very nice wife and vehicle..

I'm convincing myself I need a model Y performance. DW just said she doesn't care, doesn't want a loan so figure out where to get the money. I was doing some research on the model 3, as much as I should like it something didn't feel right. I had looked into the Y, but didn't want to wait till 2021, turns out they are shipping now. I really like the idea of it sitting taller as I have driven 4x4 pickups for 30 years.

I'm having a little trouble spending 63k on something I've never seen or driven.

It's (model Y) not going to sit a whole lot taller than a model 3. If you have driven 4 x 4 trucks for a long time, you may want to try to get the sitting height dimensions from Tesla before plunking down a big wad of cash.

Edit: here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/18/tesla-model-y-dimensions-full-list-table/

https://electrek.co/2020/02/18/tesla-model-y-size-comparison-higher-ride-height-easier-entry/

Model Y - Front seat height from the ground (heighest heigt setting) 29 in (737 mm)

Last edited:
It's (model Y) not going to sit a whole lot taller than a model 3. If you have driven 4 x 4 trucks for a long time, you may want to try to get the sitting height dimensions from Tesla before plunking down a big wad of cash.

Edit: here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/03/18/tesla-model-y-dimensions-full-list-table/

https://electrek.co/2020/02/18/tesla-model-y-size-comparison-higher-ride-height-easier-entry/

Model Y - Front seat height from the ground (heighest heigt setting)29 in (737 mm)
Thanks AJA. I know it's going to be way different than my trucks have been. I keep telling myself "I have no need for a truck, they're too big for my garage and the general driving conditions around here". The other vehicles that I am considering: Subaru, Lexus, Honda.... don't offer much improvement in height. Those vehicles don't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds either[emoji56].

I guess if I want to sit up our Wrangler Rubicon will have to do. Not near as capable for a comfortable luxurious ride, but it sits up as high as any factory vehicle.

My concrete contractor is out back laying down the forms for the patio and the walkways. Going to be 34 squares (10) 3'x3' and (24) 4'x4' also a 20'x6' pad for the side shed and a driveway repair and addition.

Nine more grand!

Ouch! We need to put in a new driveway and rip out the old patio in the backyard and put a new one in.

Thanks AJA. I know it's going to be way different than my trucks have been. I keep telling myself "I have no need for a truck, they're too big for my garage and the general driving conditions around here". The other vehicles that I am considering: Subaru, Lexus, Honda.... don't offer much improvement in height. Those vehicles don't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds either[emoji56].

I guess if I want to sit up our Wrangler Rubicon will have to do. Not near as capable for a comfortable luxurious ride, but it sits up as high as any factory vehicle.

0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds it , exhilarating for sure. But how practical is it for your needs, especially living up where you do (beautiful rural Colorado, I think).

Why not look at a Toyota Tacoma as they are quite nice and not so big?

A neighbor's daughter just bought a new Toyota RAV4 hybrid and it's quite nice!

There's a lot of choices when you want to drop $60+K!

The other vehicles that I am considering: Subaru, Lexus, Honda.... don't offer much improvement in height. Those vehicles don't do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds either[emoji56].

What, you planning to do time trials between the springs and the top of Wolf Creek Pass? :cool:

Will spend $500-$600 tomorrow to get the AC repaired on my 3.5 year old Subaru Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom