Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new cabinet and pictures for my dining room. Sold the bookcase that has been there for decades. Lost 20lbs so bought some new clothes.

Bought 2 custom cutting boards from Bulgaria.
Excellent service. It was my second order with Momchil Dukanov whose English is very good.
MG_6548-800x533.jpg

https://boazstore.com/woodworking-projects/

Good looking cutting boards! Thanks for supporting a woodworker!

Took my son and grandson fishing. This was my grandsons first Grouper. Yes it was small and we had to throw it back, but he was still happy.

We caught one keeper grouper and quite a few snapper. I gave my son all the snapper and I kept the grouper. My wife and I are having fish tacos today.

I burned 62 gal of gas @ 2.6 a gallon. So $160 worth of gas plus bait. Expensive fish but worth it.

Attachments

• 42B7BAD9-9CF1-41F2-967A-90461052F419.jpg
    42B7BAD9-9CF1-41F2-967A-90461052F419.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Love that picture of your Grandson. This is something he will always remember. Blow that dough on memories are the Best!

Multi color LED smart light bulbs. I had done a few LEDs years ago for frequently used lights, but I'm glad I didn't go overboard back then because it'd be harder to justify swapping out LED bulbs. Being able to set and change colors is really enjoyable. Dimming is very convenient too, though they don't get to the "barely on" dimness that I could get with incandescent bulbs on a slide dimmer. I can use timers, group lights together, or split lights that are on the same switch. It's very handy to change a light to bright white for hobby projects or winter grilling on the back deck. I guess I can also sync lights with music, though I haven't played with that.

The only thing I might have done differently is to get bulbs controlled by a hub, to reduce the number of devices on my wifi. It's quicker, cheaper and easier to do a few by wifi, but I don't think it's so good to have a bunch of smart devices sharing my wifi.

Not as nice but I made this one when I was 15!
And, yours is beautiful for many reasons.
I am replacing the perfectly good one (solid maple, 1.8 inches thick) I made 45 years ago.
Just because I can.
The custom one I ordered is dimensionally the same size as my homemade one. I just wanted something prettier.

^the end grain cutting boards like yours last longer than face or edge grain ones. Cutting on face or edge grain board leaves cuts in the board surface. Not so much in an end grain board. End grain fibers absorb the cuts leaving little or no cut marks.

I’ve made a few “chaotic” end grain boards that is a good use of my scraps.

Attachments

• IMG_2661.JPG
    IMG_2661.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 70
^the end grain cutting boards like yours last longer than face or edge grain ones. Cutting on face or edge grain board leaves cuts in the board surface. Not so much in an end grain board. End grain fibers absorb the cuts leaving little or no cut marks.

And better for your knives, too!

I’ve made a few “chaotic” end grain boards that is a good use of my scraps.

Very, very nice. I may have to try that. I appear to tend more towards regular patterns with my efforts:

Attachments

• DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 69
  • cuttingboardknife.jpg
    cuttingboardknife.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 68
Got me a belated birthday toy. A thermal imaging attachment to my by modern standards ancient iphone. Nearly $400.-

Looking at the inside of walls of my house on a 35F day, see all the cold corners and the thermal bridging of the 2x4s. On the plus side, 12 years ago when purchased house I added lots of insulation to the attic. The ceilings are nice and warm, same temp as the floors.

Next will check camp. With minimal to no insulation the image is predictable.

Got an Ego cordless snowblower for $700. Should prevent any real snowfall this winter.

Got an Ego cordless snowblower for $700. Should prevent any real snowfall this winter.

Yup, that's the way it usually works. When I spent $1,200 on one ~25 years ago we didn't see snowflake one for four years. It got cold as the south pole, but no snow.

I am replacing a couple of perfectly good desktop external hard drives with portables. Easier to store. Not a big expense but hard to do with my habitual frugality.

Primarily spent most of our very little expendable income on a few things in 2020:

1. Hardscape and Chainsaws and gear to drop a large tree
2. Upgraded tech router, 2 new laptops, theater pc and replaced busted a/v receiver with a new 4k atmos Sony
3. Things for kiddos to thrive.

Usually we spend a lot on trips we snuck in our go south trip before virus and then a cpl weekend clowe to home. So I guess that would be #4.

Income and gas bill down proportionally though so less dough to blow for us in 2020.

2019 Toyota Highlander with 12.6K miles for $34,000 as my retirement present. Now we can travel!!!!!!!!!!!

New bike. Bianchi Infinito CV. Carbon frame fork seat post. Bianchi is an Italian super bike - kinda like buying an Italian sports car imho [emoji3].

I’m extremely pleased with it despite have a perfectly good road bike already and it costing $4500 plus tax

IMG_1162.jpg

Didn’t come with the pedals, seat bag, or bottle cage [emoji57]

My wife got ma an early Christmas gift, a 10' fishing kayak to replace my inflatable paddle board, it has lots of storage, and options to easily fish all day long in comfort.

Being in NW Ohio, it's tough to think about the next 4-5 months minimum before I can use it....currently snowing heavily, forecast for 4-8" snow tonight.

D’Artagnan‘s offering some 40% off on several products today for Cyber Monday. But I has already ordered the foie gras! I did get a good discount on the osso buco (veal shanks).

Audrey, I don't know whether to thank you or blame you - I'm now $140 poorer.

Just put in an order for rillet, foie gras torchon & terrine, and a package of duck breast & confit thigh. Total $140 including shipping.

Just a note: We found a coupon code "10deal" and got an additional 10% off since we went over the $100 threshold. Coupon codes don't always work on sale items but this one did.

Now if they only offered free shipping...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom