Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got our 65" LG OLED tv delivered today. It's pretty sweet. As posted in some of the OLED threads, it replaced our almost 14 year old (and still perfectly good) 50" Panasonic plasma. As I couldn't give it away, I bought the LG from Best Buy and paid $225 for installation plus haul-away. Still a good deal.

Also have unpacked but not assembled the new furniture for the back patio that I ordered. The chairs were missing several small hardware items, so I contacted Overstock late yesterday and already have an e-mail from them that the missing parts have shipped. So I feel pretty confident to start assembly tomorrow. I'm also going to buy a fire pit. DD and DS (both in grad school) plan to be here for several weeks around Christmas and I hope this will be a safe way they can visit with some friends. The old furniture is more than 20 years old and most of it is still serviceable so I will move some to the front porch.

Spent about $1000 on a new gas/propane generator plus all the proper hardware to wire it into our panel. Just by spending the $, it should keep the power from going out for years to come.

Just ordered a Cyber Monday Samsung phone from their site. A71 model. Impressive camera hardware specs, can't wait to try. With an $85 credit when I return cracked screen S7 Edge, I got it for about 62% off of list.

Audrey, I don't know whether to thank you or blame you - I'm now $140 poorer.

Just put in an order for rillet, foie gras torchon & terrine, and a package of duck breast & confit thigh. Total $140 including shipping.

Just a note: We found a coupon code "10deal" and got an additional 10% off since we went over the $100 threshold. Coupon codes don't always work on sale items but this one did.

Now if they only offered free shipping...
Ooo I hope you enjoy the goodies! They know their duck - owner is from Gascony. With all you ordered, your total is not bad!

I just bought an office chair I had my eye on. It was about $350 when I first saw it at Staples. Then it went up about $20 to $370. Then today, I remembered it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday . . . whatever and I checked in on it. $250. Bought it and it will be here on Friday. I'm a little more excited than I probably should be. When I tried it out in the store, it was the only chair that was comfortable to me. Very comfortable. I can't wait until it gets here. :dance:

Bought a new Serta iSeries firm mattress in king size for $2,300 (including tax, delivery and haul away of a very heavy 10 year old inner spring king mattress). The Serta is a memory foam hybrid, and with me having a bad back, should feel wonderful.

I got two pairs of prescription eyeglasses for $615 from Eyeglasses World. The ads said it is buy one get one free. The ads say $79 for two pairs. I guess I was fooled.

DW just replaced the fridge because it made an intermittent noise she didn't like. I'm going to remodel the study in oak "Tudor" style. I have our favorite contractor doing an estimate.

My season pass will be $20 this year (not exactly a Blow That Dough! move). I don't know how COVID will impact skiing so I will settle for the Monarch Ski area here in Colorado. It used to be free for us geezers over 69, but now they charge an administrative fee. It is pretty nice skiing for a smaller area.

Love Monarch; that was our ski area when we had the cabin up beyond the Royal Gorge.

I bought the Tahoe Local Pass here in Reno, but the snow so far has been enemic, so it may be largely wasted. However, Febuary and March saved the season last year out here.

My wife told me her sister just blew 11 grand on the top of the line sleep number.

Wow! Must be quite a mattress! It there a place inside to stuff your gold bullion?

My wife told me her sister just blew 11 grand on the top of the line sleep number.

Wrong thread for my reply, but I have been sleeping very comfortably on my King sized, full motion waterbed for 25 years now. It is heated, and adjustable (more water, less water), and only cost me $250 used....amortize that out !

Got me a belated birthday toy. A thermal imaging attachment to my by modern standards ancient iphone. Nearly $400.-

Looking at the inside of walls of my house on a 35F day, see all the cold corners and the thermal bridging of the 2x4s. On the plus side, 12 years ago when purchased house I added lots of insulation to the attic. The ceilings are nice and warm, same temp as the floors.

Next will check camp. With minimal to no insulation the image is predictable.

Being a bit of a geek that is something I would like.
I built my house 22 years go now. It is a timber frame and is enclosed in SIP panels and thus no stud walls . It would be interesting to see how my thermal envelope is doing especially around windows doors etc.
I do know that it is pretty energy efficient as my annual heating costs, even in NH, are only about$1000 including the domestic hot water usage.

Two new Advanced Frame Sport inflatable kayaks from Advanced Elements, which ran $525 each, including delivery, so just over $1,000 for both. They get excellent reviews and should last us close to forever from what I've read. They are hard molded in the front, inflatable everywhere else, and weigh in at 25 pounds each, so easy for me to take out on my own when I wish.

http://https://www.advancedelements.com/day-touring-inflatable-kayaks/inflatable-kayak-ae1017/

They are replacing two inexpensive, and somewhat clunky, Intex inflatable kayaks, so we are pretty excited to experience the difference between the two. The new kayaks got delivered last night, and we plan to take them out into the water tomorrow.

Last edited:

My sister and BIL went shopping for a sleep number bed and ended up with a Tempur-Pedic. She told me it came with a mortgage!

They do love their bed and yes, they can afford it.

Walk in master shower. ($14K), will be done next week so today we signed a contract to have a 32' x 56" x 12' insulated pole barn with concrete floor. - ($43K)

Wow! Must be quite a mattress! It there a place inside to stuff your gold bullion?

My sister and BIL went shopping for a sleep number bed and ended up with a Tempur-Pedic. She told me it came with a mortgage!
When we were in Harrod's in London last year we stumbled into the bedding department and were amazed to find mattresses with pricetags in excess of 100k pounds! Of course we had to try them out. Of course, being fairly unsophisticated, I couldn't really appreciate the difference between the mere 100k and the 200k+ mattresses. The sales people were quite pleasant.

Just booked business class on Qatar Airways for three week Jordan, red sea aggressor, Egypt antiquities trip for May 2021. :hide:

Also have three week Puerto Rico trip booked for January, and a week to Fairbanks in February for the lights... :hide::hide:

Not too worried about the 2-3 months in Patagonia, antarctica, etc. In October-December...

Making up for traveling only for 4 months this year.

Just paid $360 to have a $120 rear brake job done on the Camry. It was cold and I didn't feel like doing it.
Considering it doing my part for small local business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom