Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tis the season for QCD's. I would rather give directly than let the government do it.
$5000 for the local Railroad Society
$5000 to a local food bank for holiday meals
$10000 to a local homeless shelter for a handicapped shower
We are blessed, and wanted to share it with others
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #542

Paid for 5 year vehicle registration on my GMC PU and Hyundai Santa Fe.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #543
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
DW and I are looking at 5-10 acres of raw land in the desert for a personal shooting range and off-the-grid getaway. Not interested in developing the land, just using it for an adult playground, family 'ranch', and place to park our ORVs and camp out when the weather is good.

IMO, with only 5 to 10 acres, I'd think it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, the property layout, berm size and maybe most importantly, what's downrange from your property... With a really good backstop/berm, and good safety practices, it doesn't take much land at all for a great pistol range at normal handgun shooting distances. However, even though a 100 or 200 yard rifle range should fit easily on most 10 acre tracks, I wouldn't feel comfortable, "unless" you have absolutely nothing down range for a few miles+ and the property owner(s) downrange don't mind having occasional stray bullets flying by. Over time, even good shooters will miss the average size berm at 100 yards. At 200+ yards it's much more likely. (Think tumblers, slam fires, accidents, etc) At 300 yards it's going to miss the berm a lot. Maybe I'm overly cautious... But that's me and I've seen "stuff" happen. Only takes one stray shot to ruin your day, or worse!

Of course you probably know all of this and will take the appropriate safety precautions... But hopefully this might help someone else....
Old 11-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #544
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, the property layout, berm size and maybe most importantly, what's downrange from your property... With a really good backstop/berm, it doesn't take much land at all for a great pistol range at normal handgun shooting distances. And even though a 100 or 200 yard range should fit easily on most 10 acre tracks, I wouldn't feel comfortable, "unless" you have absolutely nothing down range for a few miles+ and the property owner(s) downrange don't mind having occasional stray bullets flying by. Over time, even good shooters will miss the average size berm at 100 yards. At 200+ yards it's much more likely. (Think tumblers, slam fires, accidents, etc) At 300 yards it's going to miss the berm a lot. Maybe I'm overly cautious... But that's me and I've seen "stuff" happen. Only takes one stray shot to ruin your day, or worse!

Of course you probably know all of this and will take the appropriate safety precautions...
You are right to be cautious. My M1A (7.62 X 51) rounds are effective out to 1000 yards, and they'll go almost 3 miles if fired at a high enough angle.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:17 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Curious how you’re going to use the data. I’m a bit obsessed with home automation, but don’t have weather integrated yet.
For now I just wanted to figure out automating this data collecting. I will figure out uses as I go along .

I have everything in place now for about a week, and the collection is running fine. 6 Sensors placed where I want them, WS3000 connected to a Linux system where the data is collected into both a log file and a sqlite database. A node.js app gives me graphical line chart views of the data.

I am starting just analyzing the data, and already see some interesting correlations for starters that many lead to me "tweaking" some aspects of home thermostat/dehumidifier/attic fan just to see if things change.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #546
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
One of projects of interest is tracking temperature/humidity inside and outside of our home. My requirements were to monitor at least 6 different areas and feed the data into my home computing center to apply my desired analytics. I debated the "build your own" option using raspberry pis, sensors, and connecting components, or a more "out of the box" solution. But in true "Blow That Dough" mindset, I realized, "why not both?"

So, for my "out of the box" solution I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-3000 monitor with 8 sensors (description at https://ambientweather.com/amws3000x8.html). The 5 sensor model was about $30 cheaper, but adding one sensor that brought the price to around $10 less than getting it with 8 sensors. The sensors run on batteries, which gives more flexibility for where to place them. The WS-3000 can record the collected data on a SD card. But, folks have figured out how, via its USB interface, to directly collect the data, and code is available for Linux (node.js Javascript or python) to do this. Both the hardware and programming setup was simple, and all is working so far.

This gives me time to play with the "build your own" option as a self-education project, and not feeling "rushed" to get something working. It will be interesting to see how the costs compare..., but no worries, Blow that Dough!
Could you start a new thread on this project in the 'technology' forum? I'm interested, and would like more detail than is appropriate here.

Thanks!

-ERD50
Old 11-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #547
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finishing up remodeling our kitchen (new counter tops, appliances, refacing cabinets). Over the summer we replaced our furnace with a heat pump/furnace combo. And just bought a Tesla Model Y. I'm hoping we're done blowing that dough for a while...
Old 11-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Could you start a new thread on this project in the 'technology' forum? I'm interested, and would like more detail than is appropriate here.

Thanks!

-ERD50

Okay, here you go: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2512425
Old 11-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #549

I found a very good condition Nordic Trac Elliptical trainer on Craigslist. Covid has ruined my fitness. This should keep me out of the gym until safe.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #550
gone traveling

Bought 2 custom cutting boards from Bulgaria.
Excellent service. It was my second order with Momchil Dukanov whose English is very good.

https://boazstore.com/woodworking-projects/
Old 11-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #551
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You are right to be cautious. My M1A (7.62 X 51) rounds are effective out to 1000 yards, and they'll go almost 3 miles if fired at a high enough angle.
and be very careful in dry desert environment. This fire started @ police shooting range.

https://kutv.com/news/local/over-300...arget-shooting
Old 11-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #552
Give me a forum ...

Bought a new cabinet and pictures for my dining room. Sold the bookcase that has been there for decades. Lost 20lbs so bought some new clothes.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #553
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Excellent service. It was my second order with Momchil Dukanov whose English is very good.

Good looking cutting boards! Thanks for supporting a woodworker!
Old 11-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #554
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took my son and grandson fishing. This was my grandsons first Grouper. Yes it was small and we had to throw it back, but he was still happy.

We caught one keeper grouper and quite a few snapper. I gave my son all the snapper and I kept the grouper. My wife and I are having fish tacos today.

I burned 62 gal of gas @ 2.6 a gallon. So $160 worth of gas plus bait. Expensive fish but worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42B7BAD9-9CF1-41F2-967A-90461052F419.jpg (573.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #555
Recycles dryer sheets

Love that picture of your Grandson. This is something he will always remember. Blow that dough on memories are the Best!
Old 11-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Multi color LED smart light bulbs. I had done a few LEDs years ago for frequently used lights, but I'm glad I didn't go overboard back then because it'd be harder to justify swapping out LED bulbs. Being able to set and change colors is really enjoyable. Dimming is very convenient too, though they don't get to the "barely on" dimness that I could get with incandescent bulbs on a slide dimmer. I can use timers, group lights together, or split lights that are on the same switch. It's very handy to change a light to bright white for hobby projects or winter grilling on the back deck. I guess I can also sync lights with music, though I haven't played with that.

The only thing I might have done differently is to get bulbs controlled by a hub, to reduce the number of devices on my wifi. It's quicker, cheaper and easier to do a few by wifi, but I don't think it's so good to have a bunch of smart devices sharing my wifi.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Beautiful!
Old 11-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #558

Not as nice but I made this one when I was 15!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0257.jpg (929.5 KB, 289 views)
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #559
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Not as nice but I made this one when I was 15!
And, yours is beautiful for many reasons.
I am replacing the perfectly good one (solid maple, 1.8 inches thick) I made 45 years ago.
Just because I can.
The custom one I ordered is dimensionally the same size as my homemade one. I just wanted something prettier.
Blow That Dough! - 2020
Old 11-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #560
Moderator Emeritus

Blow That Dough! - 2020

^the end grain cutting boards like yours last longer than face or edge grain ones. Cutting on face or edge grain board leaves cuts in the board surface. Not so much in an end grain board. End grain fibers absorb the cuts leaving little or no cut marks.

I’ve made a few “chaotic” end grain boards that is a good use of my scraps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2661.JPG (299.6 KB, 69 views)
Closed Thread