Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1

Just had this discussion with DW over the purchase of Peloton Tread+ treadmill ($4,300 + $39/month). She already uses the app for $13/month and has a spin bike (not Peloton) that is nearly identical in resistance and cadence tracking (bought it at her request).

After a lengthy discussion over weeks and lots of research, we ended up buying another treadmill that isn't tied to Peloton. Unfortunately, she's now hearing about fellow Peloton users that they got a Tread+ for Christmas and she has FOMO. We could easily afford the Peloton Tread+, but 2 months of delivery delay, a bad warranty (only slightly improved recently), expensive repair cost $1,500+) with a delay in parts, and being usable only for Peloton really turned me off.

Maybe I'm getting curmudgeonly in my "old" age, but I still look for value and utility in everything that I buy.

For me it was a guitar...$1700 for a beautiful Walnut acoustic vs. $4000 for a more beautiful Koa acoustic. I could easily afford (and justify) the more expensive guitar as it was to be the one and only acoustic guitar I would ever buy.

In the end I went with the $1700 guitar. They both sounded great but the only added value with the Koa guitar was the nicer looking wood.

The other day, I went to my cable company to pick up a new modem. They had phones on display. I picked up the iPhone 12 mini and fell in love. So, guess what I bought today - an iPhone 12 mini. The deal wasn't too bad. The trade in will pay for all but $20 of the early cancelation fee for my current iPhone 11 since I've only had it a year. Plus, there is another credit of $150 for the trad in. So, the $699 phone will cost $549 + $20 + tax. :dance:

I mean, what else are you gonna do? It's not like I got a new phone for Christmas :LOL:

I'm really looking forward to this. I thought I'd be okay with the iPhone 11, but it's just too big. I was very happy with my 6 but I had that for awhile and it was time to upgrade. The 12 mini felt a bit smaller than the 6 but no doubt it's way smaller than the 11.

Now to go blow some dough on a new case and screen protector.

My daughter got me an R/C jet (actually a ducted fan) for Xmas:

EFL9750_A0_U6NNXKU0.jpg

But she didn't realize it didn't come with a radio, battery or charger. So had to spend $610 for those bits.

I used to fly R/C airplanes and helicopters a lot, but haven't flown for 10 years. Definitely need to get something a bit tamer to re-learn everything. But is sure looks cool and the ducted fan whines like a jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom