Blow That Dough! - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave my 10 inch Dob to my brother in law and just ordered up this 5 inch Mak for its size and good performance on planets and moon.

Last edited:
One of projects of interest is tracking temperature/humidity inside and outside of our home. My requirements were to monitor at least 6 different areas and feed the data into my home computing center to apply my desired analytics. I debated the "build your own" option using raspberry pis, sensors, and connecting components, or a more "out of the box" solution. But in true "Blow That Dough" mindset, I realized, "why not both?" :)

So, for my "out of the box" solution I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-3000 monitor with 8 sensors (description at https://ambientweather.com/amws3000x8.html). The 5 sensor model was about $30 cheaper, but adding one sensor that brought the price to around $10 less than getting it with 8 sensors. The sensors run on batteries, which gives more flexibility for where to place them. The WS-3000 can record the collected data on a SD card. But, folks have figured out how, via its USB interface, to directly collect the data, and code is available for Linux (node.js Javascript or python) to do this. Both the hardware and programming setup was simple, and all is working so far.

This gives me time to play with the "build your own" option as a self-education project, and not feeling "rushed" to get something working. It will be interesting to see how the costs compare..., but no worries, Blow that Dough! :)

Bought a set of Denkmeir binoviewers with 3 very nice pairs of eyepieces for my new telescope. All in about $2k.

***Not retired yet***
Just spent $6500.00 on replacing the roof on our house. In August we spent $5500.00 replacing all the 110 year old cast iron sewer lines with PVC piping throughout the house and all the way out to the city sewer line under the street. In April we spent $2800.00 having a carport installed in the driveway in front of the garage.
Oh, well. Due to Covid we couldn't take any vacations this year anyway. Might as well get the house in order.
(Also - last year in November we had a new furnace installed and I also replaced the roof on the garage by myself - which is why I paid someone to re-roof the house this year :D )

One of projects of interest is tracking temperature/humidity inside and outside of our home. My requirements were to monitor at least 6 different areas and feed the data into my home computing center to apply my desired analytics. I debated the "build your own" option using raspberry pis, sensors, and connecting components, or a more "out of the box" solution. But in true "Blow That Dough" mindset, I realized, "why not both?" :)

So, for my "out of the box" solution I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-3000 monitor with 8 sensors (description at https://ambientweather.com/amws3000x8.html). The 5 sensor model was about $30 cheaper, but adding one sensor that brought the price to around $10 less than getting it with 8 sensors. The sensors run on batteries, which gives more flexibility for where to place them. The WS-3000 can record the collected data on a SD card. But, folks have figured out how, via its USB interface, to directly collect the data, and code is available for Linux (node.js Javascript or python) to do this. Both the hardware and programming setup was simple, and all is working so far.

This gives me time to play with the "build your own" option as a self-education project, and not feeling "rushed" to get something working. It will be interesting to see how the costs compare..., but no worries, Blow that Dough! :)

I’m using a Hubitat hub linked to WirelessTag.net sensors. Not so much blowing dough as blowing time tinkering with it.

That seems cheap for a sewer line all the way through to the service!

Luckily (sort of) the city was replacing the storm sewer lines and had the road and half my front yard scheduled to be torn up this year so I had the sewer guy work it out with the city so he had minimal excavation to do and so everything could be tied in while the yard and street were already torn up. Plus, I was supposed to be responsible for re-seeding the front lawn after the sewer replacement but after the city put in new curb/gutter and sidewalk, they re-seeded my entire front lawn for me so it worked out really well. :dance:

Curious how you’re going to use the data. I’m a bit obsessed with home automation, but don’t have weather integrated yet.

DW didn't like carrying the vacuum downstairs to sweep the basement...so we bought a second vacuum. Nice to have the luxury of being able to do things like that.

Cordless dyson stick gets a lot of use around here, no-one wants to lug the “big” vacuum around anymore except for big jobs.

Yes we are coming up on crab season and good ones should be at the grocery regularly.

Commercial crab season is delayed until Dec 1st this year along the California coast. Recreational is still available and opened last weekend.

Bummer, the fresh local stuff is the best, but we'll still get good stuff from Washington / Oregon.

Just ordered up 5 pounds of fresh Chestnuts - :)

DW and I are looking at 5-10 acres of raw land in the desert for a personal shooting range and off-the-grid getaway. Not interested in developing the land, just using it for an adult playground, family 'ranch', and place to park our ORVs and camp out when the weather is good.

DW and I are looking at 5-10 acres of raw land in the desert for a personal shooting range and off-the-grid getaway. Not interested in developing the land, just using it for an adult playground, family 'ranch', and place to park our ORVs and camp out when the weather is good.
I hope you'll build a good backstop, since a 10 acre square is still only a little over 300 yards from corner to corner.

Just dropped about $2k on Christmas gifts for 74 kids who don't have stable housing. I hope it makes their holidays a bit brighter. I will imagine their faces when they see their gifts, that will make my holiday. Now I am hunkering down to avoid covid.

I hope you'll build a good backstop, since a 10 acre square is still only a little over 300 yards from corner to corner.

Ideally they could find a 10 acre piece that is 140' wide. That would allow a 1000 yard high power range with a 30' high berm with a 2:1 sideslope at the end.

Tis the season for QCD's. I would rather give directly than let the government do it.
$5000 for the local Railroad Society
$5000 to a local food bank for holiday meals
$10000 to a local homeless shelter for a handicapped shower
We are blessed, and wanted to share it with others

Paid for 5 year vehicle registration on my GMC PU and Hyundai Santa Fe.

IMO, with only 5 to 10 acres, I'd think it depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, the property layout, berm size and maybe most importantly, what's downrange from your property... With a really good backstop/berm, and good safety practices, it doesn't take much land at all for a great pistol range at normal handgun shooting distances. However, even though a 100 or 200 yard rifle range should fit easily on most 10 acre tracks, I wouldn't feel comfortable, "unless" you have absolutely nothing down range for a few miles+ and the property owner(s) downrange don't mind having occasional stray bullets flying by. Over time, even good shooters will miss the average size berm at 100 yards. At 200+ yards it's much more likely. (Think tumblers, slam fires, accidents, etc) At 300 yards it's going to miss the berm a lot. Maybe I'm overly cautious... But that's me and I've seen "stuff" happen. Only takes one stray shot to ruin your day, or worse!

Of course you probably know all of this and will take the appropriate safety precautions... But hopefully this might help someone else....

Last edited:
Depends on what kind of shooting you are doing, the property layout, berm size and maybe most importantly, what's downrange from your property... With a really good backstop/berm, it doesn't take much land at all for a great pistol range at normal handgun shooting distances. And even though a 100 or 200 yard range should fit easily on most 10 acre tracks, I wouldn't feel comfortable, "unless" you have absolutely nothing down range for a few miles+ and the property owner(s) downrange don't mind having occasional stray bullets flying by. Over time, even good shooters will miss the average size berm at 100 yards. At 200+ yards it's much more likely. (Think tumblers, slam fires, accidents, etc) At 300 yards it's going to miss the berm a lot. Maybe I'm overly cautious... But that's me and I've seen "stuff" happen. Only takes one stray shot to ruin your day, or worse!

Of course you probably know all of this and will take the appropriate safety precautions...

You are right to be cautious. My M1A (7.62 X 51) rounds are effective out to 1000 yards, and they'll go almost 3 miles if fired at a high enough angle.

Curious how you’re going to use the data. I’m a bit obsessed with home automation, but don’t have weather integrated yet.

For now I just wanted to figure out automating this data collecting. I will figure out uses as I go along :D.

I have everything in place now for about a week, and the collection is running fine. 6 Sensors placed where I want them, WS3000 connected to a Linux system where the data is collected into both a log file and a sqlite database. A node.js app gives me graphical line chart views of the data.

I am starting just analyzing the data, and already see some interesting correlations for starters that many lead to me "tweaking" some aspects of home thermostat/dehumidifier/attic fan just to see if things change.

Could you start a new thread on this project in the 'technology' forum? I'm interested, and would like more detail than is appropriate here.

Thanks!

-ERD50

Just finishing up remodeling our kitchen (new counter tops, appliances, refacing cabinets). Over the summer we replaced our furnace with a heat pump/furnace combo. And just bought a Tesla Model Y. I'm hoping we're done blowing that dough for a while...

I found a very good condition Nordic Trac Elliptical trainer on Craigslist. Covid has ruined my fitness. This should keep me out of the gym until safe.

Bought 2 custom cutting boards from Bulgaria.
Excellent service. It was my second order with Momchil Dukanov whose English is very good.
MG_6548-800x533.jpg

https://boazstore.com/woodworking-projects/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom