Buying in an active adult community?

Like Grumpy, I live in an "active adult" community, about which I have posted several times. In general, my wife and I like it - the quiet, the upkeep, the amenities, the activities. There are some negatives - a premium on housing prices, overzealous HOA's (still run by the builder), some silly rules, etc. For the most part, though, it is a good environment in which to age gracefully. As one of the above commentators noted, however, the communities seem to filled with persons about the same age, reflecting their time of retirement and purchase of a new home. Most everyone around me (including my wife and I) are in our early 60's, moderately affluent, and socially extroverted.

I would think that by the time people are 45 or so they would very well know if they might be happy in an "Active Adult Community", or if they would rather pass.

Has anyone awakened one morning in Berkeley and said to their bed-mate, "You know Honey, I think we should drive out in the desert today and check out some active adult communities." Likewise, do those who are bound for these communities think, "Gee, maybe we made a mistake, let's go look at a walk-up in the Village again. I just love that drumming in Washington Square."

Our peg shapes are pretty well set.

Ha

ChrisC: I, too, thought buying into a University setting would be fantastic...until I checked the prices. Then I choked. They charge, for the ones I checked (which I cannot remember which ones they were now), SO much more than an active adult community that I forgot about it. However, that was a couple years ago, and if you find one that isn't ridiculously priced PLEASE post it. I am sure there would be many of us on here that would be interested.

Many active adult communities are catching on to the growing trend of continuing education. For example Sun City Festival in Buckeye, AZ integrated an entire section of there clubhouse to be a center for continuing education. They partnered with the University of Arizona and they offer dozens of classes in everything from math and science to cooking. You don't necessarily have to buy at a community that is in a college town to get the continuing education experience.

ChrisC, if you are thinking about Chapel Hill, I don't know of any big 55+ communities there. However, you should check out Carolina Preserve in nearby Cary. It is a Del Webb community and it is very nice. I visited there last year and they have very nice homes at reasonable prices. They also offer continuing education classes but I'm not sure if they have any affiliation with Duke.

Back
Top Bottom