Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2021, 11:03 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
One advantage of stair type elevators is that if it stops it is easy to help the person down the stairs (or up if the case may be) Since the elevator is situated on the steps and there is room to get around them.If need be it would be trival for ems to get a person, with just a carry.
The new ones, come with a crank and a place to manually crank the chair up/down the stairs even if the electricity and battery failed.

Of course it would work faster and easier with a drill and socket instead of the manual crank.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw elevators advertised with battery backup. In case of power outage, you aren't stuck in the elevator. I don't know how many trips up and down it will go using the battery. I suspect it's just to get you safely out if the power fails while in use.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:13 AM   #183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
One advantage of stair type elevators is that if it stops it is easy to help the person down the stairs (or up if the case may be) Since the elevator is situated on the steps and there is room to get around them.If need be it would be trival for ems to get a person, with just a carry.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "stair type elevators." Are you talking about stair lifts? There is a big difference between home elevators and stair lifts. https://www.lifewaymobility.com/blog...s-best-for-me/
Old 02-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our home does have a large master suite on the main floor, and we can get by in old age without having to go upstairs.

Our problem was that the house is on a conventional foundation with a 42" crawlspace. It's 5 steps to get into the house from any of our 3 entrances.

My wife had foot surgery 2 weeks ago and will be in a wheelchair for 2 mos. So I spent last week building a wheelchair ramp into the house thru the garage. It's much more enjoyable than fumbling with the stairs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

"Can I Age In Place With Stairs?"

Yes, as we do not have to use the stairs because the master bedroom is downstairs. It means abandoning the 5 rooms upstairs, which we are using for guests (what guests in a pandemic?), and storage, with one room for my electronic hobby.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

All set except for washer and dryer

Lots of posts in this thread. I haven't seen one situation mentioned, though maybe I missed it.

We're set up fairly 'ok' with our rancher for one story living. Except the washer and dryer are in the basement. I can't see us lugging laundry up and down a full flight of stairs at some point.

So I guess we have some options down the road-

1. Steal a corner of the dining room, and frame in a utility closet with bifold doors for a new full size washer and dryer. This would require electrical, plumbing, and carpentry work. Fortunately, this is right above the current washer, so the plumbing stack is right there. I'm hesitant to steal square footage from our already modest sized dining room. I know, I know, no one uses dining rooms anymore.

2. Same as (1), except use a compact washer and dryer, where the dryer is stacked above the washer. More space efficient but limiting, also in terms of the appliance selections.

3. Use a laundry service, if they exist for non-commercial customers?

4. Find someone that could do the laundry for us - either in the house or take it to a laundry mat.

Just curious if anyone has gone down this road yet.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
use a compact washer and dryer, where the dryer is stacked above the washer. More space efficient but limiting, also in terms of the appliance selections.
When I was single, I had one of those and used it for many years. It was great. Sure, you might have to do laundry slightly more often than otherwise, but it held more than you might think.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #188

Quote:
Lots of posts in this thread. I haven't seen one situation mentioned, though maybe I missed it.

We're set up fairly 'ok' with our rancher for one story living. Except the washer and dryer are in the basement. I can't see us lugging laundry up and down a full flight of stairs at some point.

1. Steal a corner of the dining room, and frame in a utility closet with bifold doors for a new full size washer and dryer. This would require electrical, plumbing, and carpentry work. Fortunately, this is right above the current washer, so the plumbing stack is right there. I'm hesitant to steal square footage from our already modest sized dining room. I know, I know, no one uses dining rooms anymore.

2. Same as (1), except use a compact washer and dryer, where the dryer is stacked above the washer. More space efficient but limiting, also in terms of the appliance selections.

4. Find someone that could do the laundry for us - either in the house or take it to a laundry mat.

At that point it is not clear how much other housekeeping you would/could do so a maid service might also make sense on a weekly basis, which could also do the laundry at the same time.

Alternativly if still driving a number of laundramats have wash and fold services so you could drop off and pick up.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I'd get a full sized washer and dryer and have it installed somewhere upstairs. Maybe you can get it close to the master bedroom closets, so that you wouldn't have to lug the clothes very far before or after doing laundry. My laundry room isn't that close to the closets, but I have a very nice (and expensive) laundry cart that eliminates all that lugging of laundry baskets. Options #2,3, and 4 just don't float my boat.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I would go with option 3 or 4.

My uncle and I were faced with the same situation when my grandmother got to the point where she couldn’t get to the basement to do laundry.

The plumbing, electrical, framing, etc can be a daunting task. We ended up not doing it because of complications.

Far easier to have someone else do the laundry.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKieffer View Post
Purchase a stairlift?
Well, I was making the point that at 86, my mom gets up and down the stairs w/o a problem.
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #192

Quote:

I have the laundry closet smack dab in the middle of the upstairs. It will have a stacking full sized washer and dryer in it as soon as I get the walls and floors finished. My wood stove is upstairs too. The house is intentionally designed to allow living on the upper floor. Now I just need to figure out how to automate getting the wood cut, split, stacked, and moved inside as needed. Or I can just turn the furnace up a bit as needed.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
Well, I was making the point that at 86, my mom gets up and down the stairs w/o a problem.
And at 72, my mom didn't. It works until it doesn't. Is there a plan for if/when it doesn't work anymore? Otherwise it's just keeping your fingers crossed.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And at 72, my mom didn't. It works until it doesn't. Is there a plan for if/when it doesn't work anymore? Otherwise it's just keeping your fingers crossed.
DW tore a tendon at much younger age. Stairs were out of the question after her surgery for a couple of months. Not a problem here, BUT did have to revamp the bathroom for wheel chair and then walker access. Quite costly, but needed it anyway. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #195

Quote:

You missed one option. Whenever is the right time....move to a place that has everything you really need on the first floor. Unless there is something terribly unique about your specific house or location you may be able to find something you like just as well by moving.

If that is out of the question:

You can stack a full size W/D. Our last house had a small utility room and we wanted a freezer in there also so we stacked the Full size W/D and it worked great. That would take up much less space for you. Anyway with full size stacked W/D we had the ability to choose most anything that was a front loader (which is our preference anyway).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:00 AM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
You missed one option. Whenever is the right time....move to a place that has everything you really need on the first floor. Unless there is something terribly unique about your specific house or location you may be able to find something you like just as well by moving.
I didn't consider that option because it would be the most expensive, due to all the selling, buying, and moving costs. Plus, we've been in this house for 30 years, so it'd be a LOT of work to pack up and move.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 PM   #197
Confused about dryer sheets

Late 50s, DW and I go biking and more regularly to keep fit, and this really builds up the legs. I hope to stay in shape with the free time I have (now due to WFH/COVID, soon due to retirement) and delay this issue as long as possible.

That said, if I moved for some other reason, I would focus on single level homes as a primary criteria, just not going to move "just in case" for this reason alone.
beyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #198
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "stair type elevators." Are you talking about stair lifts? There is a big difference between home elevators and stair lifts. https://www.lifewaymobility.com/blog...s-best-for-me/

I think you mean “chair lifts”
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 AM   #199

Quote:

If your only concern is carrying a laundry basket and not going up and down the stairs you can install a dumbwaiter.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
If your only concern is carrying a laundry basket and not going up and down the stairs you can install a dumbwaiter.
Yep. DW has called me a lot worse. But, seriously, when I knew DW before we married, her parents had a laundry chute that connected 2nd story and first floor to the basement where the washer/dryer was. It even substituted for an intercom system. Wow, what they didn't think of back in the 40's! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, housing, safety