Can I Age In Place With Stairs?

Delaney, The owner before us got to the point where she couldn't climb the stairs. She insisted on living in her home. Her son had a plumber install a toilet on the landing to go down to the basement. The entrance to the basement was off the kitchen. She took baths and washed her hair in the kitchen sink. Think her son told us that she'd go upstairs once a week for a shower/bath.

Compact wet rooms don't take up much space if well designed. Look at converting your dining room into a bed/bath room. We had the room and money to add on a master suite addition when we bought the house, she did not.

To all the people that keep talking about what great exercise it is having stairs, it isn't. FOR SOME PEOPLE, as you age, stairs can be a problem. Why would you keep encouraging someone to keep going up and down stairs which could add to the risk of falling. If you want exercise, stairs aren't the only option.

DH and I are 70 and we have live in a house with no stairs. We had owned houses with stairs in the past but as we saw what was happening with older friends who could not longer navigate steps we decided to sell the last house we owned with stairs. When we were looking for a replacement we only considered houses without stairs. It has been the right decision for us.

To all the people that keep talking about what great exercise it is having stairs, it isn't. FOR SOME PEOPLE, as you age, stairs can be a problem. Why would you keep encouraging someone to keep going up and down stairs which could add to the risk of falling. If you want exercise, stairs aren't the only option.

Of course stairs are not for some people or the only option but the OP said they had no problem with stairs. I was one who suggested that they take advantage of them to strengthen their legs....they already have stairs and they are a great way to get stronger. If they don't want to use the stairs to workout that's fine, it's just one of many options.

You can get stronger now and help delay problems that will arise later in life or you can do nothing and and be forced to move earlier or risk injury because it's harder to prevent a fall if you're weak.

Music Lover, Don't you know anyone that took care of themselves and still had an accident/illness that took them out. As you age those muscles you developed disappear pretty quickly if you are sidelined for any illness. Even getting the flu can sideline your exercise and it takes time to recover. If you aren't sure about stairs as you age you can either modify your home or move. It doesn't make sense to me, the older adults I know, that insist on staying in a house that's not elder friendly. I understand that some people are stuck financially but not most of the people on this forum.

Accidents still happen to very fit and strong people. Chances are they will do better, and recover better, but being fit is no assurance you won't end up needing crutches for even a brief period.

The lack of a bathroom on the ground floor is the main challenge it seems. OP if moving is a non-starter, would a small addition for a half-bath be too much cost to make it worthwhile? I think that would make your home have a better resale value as well.

FWIW:
Mom is now 91 and lives in a three story home. Bed rooms and bath on the third floor, bath on the first. She climbs the stairs up and down about 5 or 6 times a day with an arthritic knee.

I told her we could 1) get her a stair lift or 2) modify her first floor for her to spend more time there.

Her response: "It's the only exercise I get! (leave me alone!!")

Funny how old folks can be set in their ways or stubborn. ;)

My FIL was exactly the same at that young age of 91, not interested in one.

But a few years later, the cheapskate (he is REALLY cheap) spent $10K putting in a stair chair. It does 3 turns up the stairs, which raises the cost. Plus he didn't have me help pick so no internet competition on the purchase.

Without it, he would no longer be living there. So it was a great decision.

When we moved to a house to be closer to the grandkids, we fell in love with the location and the property (1 acre). The house is a 1,700sqft, 3br, 1 and 1/2 baths but it’s on a slab. No stairs at all. Having had a basement all my life, I was nervous about the slab. Now here for 4 years and love having no stairs - none. When we talked to the neighbors, we found out that the previous owners wife was wheel chair bound so we know the house will accommodate that situation very well, but not perfect. It’s not universal design, but it’s flat. There’s even a ramp for the one step from the attached garage to the family room.

We’ve also found that the house is very easy to clean. It has no carpet so it spruces up real quick and spring type cleaning can be done in a half day or so. When we get to where we can’t handle the chores, we’ll definitely consider hiring out, yard, snow and major cleaning. I’ve already pretty much given up on any home improvement work beyond simple handyman stuff and painting.

Still don’t love the house, but finding it more desirable as time goes on.

Lotta good points in this thread. We're turning 70 this year, both fortunate to be very healthy and we exercise a lot to keep it that way. Stairs are no problem for us. Yet. But we know that any time something could change that. We don't want to move, on a lake and now DS lives 3 miles away. Can easily afford yard care and maintenance when I finally give up on that.

Issue is that all bedrooms upstairs and laundry down. I built a 400 sq ft addition for MIL in 2006 that is available for conversion to a downstairs master suite. Yeah, it could be used now but it's not configured well at all for us. She wanted a separate BR and LR and to cram a BR, LR, bath, and closet in 400 ft was a challenge. No load bearing walls so can reconfigure. Window placement not ideal for what I have in mind and I have started some plans.

So, there's no motivation to remodel it ... now. But if I wait until there's a need I likely would not be able to do the work. Carpentry, tiling, wiring, plumbing are still well in my capabilities but for how long? The thought of paying a contractor to do it after I've built houses, additions, and lots of furniture over the years is just painful. Not for the money, but because it's what I've always done.

You know what? After I've written this all out I'm gonna get out those plans and start working on them again. I've run out of projects (other than a bath remodel DS wants) so why not? The $$ cost would be less than the two trips we've missed this year. Good thread!

Music Lover, Don't you know anyone that took care of themselves and still had an accident/illness that took them out. As you age those muscles you developed disappear pretty quickly if you are sidelined for any illness. Even getting the flu can sideline your exercise and it takes time to recover. If you aren't sure about stairs as you age you can either modify your home or move. It doesn't make sense to me, the older adults I know, that insist on staying in a house that's not elder friendly. I understand that some people are stuck financially but not most of the people on this forum.

Yes, I do know people who through no fault of their own have physical issues. I also know people who are too weak to safely handle stairs even though there's nothing wrong with them...they just let their muscles get so weak that they struggle with stairs, getting out of chairs, etc. Who wants to live like that? We all lose muscle as we age, you have the choice to slow it down or let it control your life.

I was only suggesting that it doesn't hurt to get in shape so that while you're in a house with stairs you can handle them easier. No one has to stay in a house they don't want or that makes them feel unsafe.

Accidents still happen to very fit and strong people. Chances are they will do better, and recover better, but being fit is no assurance you won't end up needing crutches for even a brief period.

The lack of a bathroom on the ground floor is the main challenge it seems. OP if moving is a non-starter, would a small addition for a half-bath be too much cost to make it worthwhile? I think that would make your home have a better resale value as well.

How true about accidents! Slightly off topic, but our condo is one floor and we have the elevator, so stairs not a problem. Then DW tore a tendon in her foot. The repair put her in a wheel chair for a few weeks. Chair would NOT fit though bathroom door. Long story short, accidents happen even to folks otherwise able to do stairs, BR doors, etc. etc. Probably best to have a "plan" just in case. We're all more subject to accidents and infirmities as we age. SO, my suggestion (not advice) get ready before you need it. It can all go south in a hurry. YMMV

You can handle stairs until one day you can’t. It usually happens sooner than you think. In my opinion I would sell a house with no downstairs bathroom before I hit 60-65. Get a ranch now while it’s also easier to walk through a lot of homes for sale.

You can handle stairs until one day you can’t. It usually happens sooner than you think. In my opinion I would sell a house with no downstairs bathroom before I hit 60-65. Get a ranch now while it’s also easier to walk through a lot of homes for sale.

That's what I did! So glad we did this since DH is facing knee replacement.

I have a folding trekking pole that I bought on Ebay. It folds to about 8-1/4" long. It came in handy when my back went out and it would help with stairs. If you can't comfortably hold both rails at once, get one. I think anyone who doesn't have a stick that they could temporarily use as a cane should get a trekking pole or a cane or two.

We bought a two story home in our 50s. Stairs were a consideration, but we didn’t want them to rule the decision. I finally realized we could have an elevator installed for less than the commission we would pay a real estate agent to sell. Not a perfect solution, but we have a full bath downstairs, so could make do for a little while.

I honestly thought we would dread the stairs, but so far I don’t mind it at all. I think it’s been good for us to have them.

I could walk stairs with no problem but just one slow bodyweight-only squat when I'm balanced as far back as I can be without falling backwards is brutal. That's more than enough leg exercise. I don't want to risk walking stairs every day, especially when I'm alone.

I also have a long rather steep driveway that could be problematic.
My Dad had the same problem and used to say, "This driveway gets steeper every year!" Once he got into his late 80s, I was concerned about him falling down to get the mail.

We looked into and applied (and was allowed) to have his mailbox moved to the front door. It took a letter requesting and a doc's note to get it approved and did take a bit, but eventually it happened. He was able to happily check his mail (and BS w/ the carrier on a daily basis) for the next several years before he passed.

Both my Mom and Dad aged in their home and stayed until they died (81 and 90 years) and there were no stairs in the house. If the house had stairs and they HAD to go up stairs, they could not have stayed...it would have been all but impossible with their conditions. Thanks to no stairs, they were able to stay home, which was what they wanted to do. *Oh yeah, they designed and built their forever home in their 40s and had an eye to the future...they prepared for the future. We have done the same and also have a single story home. We may not stay here until we check out, but don't want to worry about that if/when it's a problem.

Last edited:
I am convinced. Within the next three years, I will move or add a main floor bathroom. The bathroom will have a doorway wide enough for a wheel chair (with a sliding barn door). It will need to be small, but I think I can fit a wet room that I can use to shower if necessary.

Right away, I'll add a second hand rail to my stairs. It's narrow, so I could use both hand rails at once if necessary. I have watched You Tube videos about climbing stair with crutches or a walker that make me feel more comfortable, but in the meantime I will be very careful when I walk in icy conditions.

Experts say you can recoup 50-75% of the costs of a bathroom remodel when selling the house. I won't count on that, but I do think the bathroom will add some value.

All the plumbing on my house is on the right side of my house. The best location for this bathroom would be on the left side of my house. The second best location is on the right side near the kitchen. My guess is that the cost would be much lower if I locate the bathroom near the other plumbing on the right side. Is that correct?

All the plumbing on my house is on the right side of my house. The best location for this bathroom would be on the left side of my house. The second best location is on the right side near the kitchen. My guess is that the cost would be much lower if I locate the bathroom near the other plumbing on the right side. Is that correct?

Do you have a basement , because if so, then running pipes across the basement adds very little cost.
The fact that you have a kitchen on the right side, tells me you have water supply on that side that can be joined to supply water to the bathroom.

So it really won't be much additional cost to have it on the right side vs left side.

Biggest factor in cost is do you have a basement that has pipes exposed, are your existing pipes plastic (not cast iron).

Get 3->4 estimates after you have figured out the plan in detail.

PS. I am in the same boat (almost). I am 60 now and DW is 55. Stairs are getting hard for both of us. Fortunately we have a downstairs bathroom. We are already looking at locations (including 55 and older communities) where modern ranch homes have been built. We plan to be in one in 5 years or less.

Marko's mom reminded me of the ladies I bought my last home from. It was a 3 stories plus basement twin home... So lots of stairs. The daughter was 83 and the mom was 104. She still walked, with one of those 5 pronged canes. The bathroom was on the 2nd floor. The mom navigated the stairs fine, but the daughter was terrified she'd come home and find her mom in a pile at the bottom of the stairs. That was why they were selling. They moved to a senior community that had garden units.

The mom thought selling was silly.

Marko's mom reminded me of the ladies I bought my last home from. It was a 3 stories plus basement twin home... So lots of stairs. The daughter was 83 and the mom was 104. She still walked, with one of those 5 pronged canes. The bathroom was on the 2nd floor. The mom navigated the stairs fine, but the daughter was terrified she'd come home and find her mom in a pile at the bottom of the stairs. That was why they were selling. They moved to a senior community that had garden units.

The mom thought selling was silly.

The "five pronged" cane reminded me of one of my DW's distant relatives. She was in her mid 80s and lived alone and had one of those canes. Well, she was in the bathtub and apparently had a stoke and couldn't get out of the tub. She tried as best as she could to get the cane over to the tub, but she couldn't get it to fall over in her direction...it stood up and wouldn't fall over. So, she stayed in the tub for almost two days and died a few days later.

Until the day he died in his 80s, my Dad lived in an apartment that could only be reached by climbing three flights of steep stairs. He loved the place because of the incredible water view and never worried about stairs and aging.

** Can I Age In Place With Stairs? **

for me NO

but if you are concerned , or just naturally cautious , now is a good time to research options

i found myself in a hotel for two years ( while the house was being repaired )

and 7 floors up is NOT the place to be if you MIGHT fall down stairs , when say, there is a fire and lifts are immobilized or reserved for first responders

but being near ground level MIGHT have different issues for you

cheers

Judging from my mother I’d say the longer you wait to move the less likely you are to move. Think at 60 what kind of place you’ll want and need at 80. If you leave it to your 70s inertia and sentiment and the lack of desire to deal with clutter will probably win out! Obviously some people move house easily and with joy late in life. But not everyone. Know which type you are and act accordingly.

We just went through all this. It was exhausting dealing with aging parents (90s) living in another state in their50 yo 2-story house. We were driving out there every other week to help them. Finally convinced them to sell and move to a local CCRC. De-cluttering the house was a nightmare.

This was a wake-up call for us and we didn't want to be in the same situation. About 2 yrs ago we looked for, and found, our age-in-place house in the same town.

Short driveway, 1st floor Master, 1st floor laundry, and an HOA that takes care of lawn, fall cleanup, and driveway snow cleanup ($185/mo HOA fee).
Great location and neighborhood. Best decision we have made.
I spend my energy hiking, biking, kayaking, etc instead of yardwork!!

Also, we are decluttering to simplify our lives further.

Back
Top Bottom