Can I Age In Place With Stairs?

The simple fact is as people age their sense of balance deteriorates, nothing can be done about it. 12,000 people die each year from stair falls most of them elderly but in total 100K fall down the stairs each year, many getting debilitating injuries.
It is the same issue with ladders, one can think they can still do it, but balance is a funny thing and cannot be trained. If you think you can compete with a 25 year old challenge one to standing on one leg and see how that works out.

When we moved in 2014 we bought a 2-story house with the master bedroom and bath on the first floor just in case. We can live entirely on the first floor if necessary. So far (me approaching 67 and DW approaching 64) it isn't an issue, but some day that time may come.

I have a 2000 sq ft one level home. My parents lived in a two story home with bedrooms and bathroom all up stairs. They did fine with stairs well into their 80's and had other issues the stairs never seemed to be of any issues to them.

I've heard that stairs are a good forced exercise for people who might not get any, but I exercise enough on my own and I'd rather choose when and where I exercise, and not be forced to use stairs if I'm having issues that make it unsafe. I was in my late 30s when I had my current home designed and built so I had no thought against a multi-level home, but my next home probably won't have stairs. It wouldn't bother me to have a guest room upstairs or extra space in a basement, but I'd want every day living to be on one level. No plans at all to move any time soon, just keeping it in mind for whenever I do.

The simple fact is as people age their sense of balance deteriorates, nothing can be done about it. 12,000 people die each year from stair falls most of them elderly but in total 100K fall down the stairs each year, many getting debilitating injuries.

Some of the problem with stair falls is that as you get older you tend to look down when walking. The result is leaning forward to watch your feet and terrain. In addition many people as they approach 40-50 yrs begin to wear glasses and often bifocals that distort distances. Muscle control is not as refined as it used to be as well. Going upstairs is not as much of an issue as going downstairs when most of the stair falls occur. You tend to go where you are looking. Balance is a function of your eyes, your inner ear, and proprioception from muscles and joints directing information to your brain (cerebellum). All of these typically don't age well.

I find myself guilty of that and have to keep reminding myself to keep my head upright as I walk while keeping aware of my pathway. I always do better keeping balance during that time. At least that factor is one that I have the most control over.
Hang on to the handrail (two if available) and don't look down as you take a step.

Cheers!

Attachments

• stair climber.jpg
    stair climber.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 27

But you can make yourself stronger so if you do lose your balance it's easier catch yourself or have enough strength to hold the handrail. And if you do fall anyway then the added muscle can prevent a more serious injury.

Best balance test ever. Stand on one leg. Once you feel stable, close your eyes and see how long it takes to fall over.

Problem is I'd want to see reliable stats on how long is good. I took that test and I scored about my age, which is older than I wanted to score, so I was glad to see there was no information on the reliability of it. If I knew a doctor would use that test, I'd prepare by making like I was a school kid and do all kinds of lateral movements and balance beam exercises to mimic the exercise young people get. Stabilizer muscles surely play a part and they can be conditioned.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I don't think it is wise to attempt to age in place with stairs. Many people cannot navigate stairs safely as they grow older, or even worse, they think they can and then find out the hard way that they are not as agile as they thought.

I cannot possibly think of an advantage to having stairs, that is good enough to balance out the crushing realization when an older person first realizes that he/she can no longer handle climbing up and down them multiple times a day.

Then there are injuries - - even when young, people break ankles and legs. Older people like me often need knee or hip replacement surgery and sometimes the need or opportunity for such surgery comes suddenly. The former Boy Scouts' motto "Be Prepared" is a good one to keep in mind while growing older.

I cannot possibly think of an advantage to having stairs, that is good enough to balance out the crushing realization when an older person first realizes that he/she can no longer handle climbing up and down them multiple times a day.

The only advantage I can even fathom is having your home on a smaller footprint and thus cost savings. I have been very fortunate in that outside of living on the 3rd floor of the barracks for a few months when I was a young pup in the Air Force and about 6 months on the 2nd floor of an apartment after my divorce, I have only lived in single floor homes. I don't see that ever changing.

Smaller footprint, you can have a loft, you can put a floor or two between living spaces. If you have a 2 story house with a basement you will have two floor systems providing a sound barrier from people making noise in the basement.

Everyone knows that at some point stairs will be a factor as they age, but that doesn't mean that you need to live in a single story house your entire life waiting for it to happen.

Back on topic, I don't think it is wise to attempt to age in place with stairs. Many people cannot navigate stairs safely as they grow older, or even worse, they think they can and then find out the hard way that they are not as agile as they thought.

Then there are injuries - - even when young, people break ankles and legs. Older people like me often need knee or hip replacement surgery and sometimes the need or opportunity for such surgery comes suddenly. The former Boy Scouts' motto "Be Prepared" is a good one to keep in mind while growing older.

Totally agree! I had my first (and hopefully last) stair fall at age 55. It was in our last actual house (a tri-level - a very efficient use of land/materials in construction.) It happened so fast, I was sliding down steps on my bottom before I knew what happened. NO lasting physical effects (thank God.) The psychological effects are still with me. No more steps for us. Efficient use of space/materials be darned! YMMV

Reactions: W2R
MIL fell down our stairs at our snowbird condo when she was about 85. Fractured her shoulder. She recovered ok after surgery. But I know that incident was partly the reason for DW wanting to sell the condo.

One of my favorite hiking spots has a lot of staircases down to the river. Yesterday I recorded 35 flights of stairs while hiking. Great exercise. Stairs don't bother me - yet.

I think the bar looks unstable, but that's me.

Another problem with stairs is that if you have high blood pressure, you can lose consciousness by going up stairs too quickly. Happened to my mother and aunt. Sadly, my aunt passed away from the fall.

We were living in a 2 story house with bedrooms upstairs and 1/2 bath on first level. We decided after my husbands brother was in a really bad motorcycle accident that he was fortunate they lived in a ranch. We decided we wanted to get a home with the master on the first floor while we were still healthy. We built a townhouse where most of the living space is on the first floor. We do have an upstairs that has a loft family room, bedroom and bathroom. If the time comes where stairs are a problem, we don’t need to use the upstairs.

I have no problem with having multiple levels and stairs, as long as it's possible to live on the ground floor. We have 2 bedrooms and a loft upstairs, as well as a basement with storage and my shop downstairs. But our MBR w/bath is on the main floor. If something should happen we can live there just fine. The footprint is about the same as our small house in FL, about 1300 sf. Truthfully we seldom even go upstairs, although I use the basement a lot. So my argument isn't about stairs, it's about flexibility in living. I wouldn't be surprised if builders started building more units like ours as the population ages. DW is always ahead of the curve on stuff like this.

Of course, we're in an area with a lot of population growth, so there are a lot of things constantly being built. If you are in a less dynamic (and probably quieter) area there may be limited new options. But there should always be some way to manage single level living as you age. At least I'd hope so.

Start yoga classes 3x per week to keep both your strength and flexibility. I started 4 years ago at 58 and it's one of the best choices I've ever made.

I'm 77. House has 3 floors but garage, kitchen, master bedroom and bath are on the main level. That was what we were looking for 16 years ago when we moved to have enough space to have kids and grandkids stay with us over the holidays and have an "until they carry us out" house. Good that we did that when we did as prices wouldn't let us do it now, although finance rates are better.

I still use the stairs daily, whether checking something in the basement or getting something from a closet upstairs. I think the comments of "use the stairs today so you can use the stairs tomorrow" are correct.

In the years since we moved here, I've had spinal fusion surgery (L4-L5), rotator cuff surgery and I have surgery for the carpometacarpal joint of one thumb scheduled for next week (arthritis has the thumb turning under the palm). Having one arm in a sling will make using the stairs a bit difficult.

I haven't read all the responses, but we moved to a one level last year at ages 64 and 68. We are both healthy and have no trouble climbing stairs. However we moved to another area after retiring and had the option to move to a one level. My take is, it took alot of energy to move at our ages. It would be much more difficult at age 76 or so. It may even be overwhelming at that age. We have talked of moving to another home in the future and neither of us relishes the thought of another move. Also, we love the one level. It is so easy to live here. We have exercise routines to replace the lack of stair climbing in our daily lives.
I heard someone say once they were grateful they moved to their retirement lifestyle home long before they actually needed to.

Reactions: W2R
93 + 91 Year old Still climbing Stairs

A Friends 93 YO mother and 91 YO boyfriend have a second floor bedroom. They are very active. Still golf. Still travel even with Covid threatening. Surprisingly no hip or knee replacements. They have always said that they will not stop challenging their leg muscles and balance. Quite the inspiration. Know other late 80’s that have had hips and knees replaced that still climb the stairs. If you can do it, keep doing it.

A couple of years ago I would have blown-off a post like this. In September my parents in their mid 80’s moved out of their 2-story house. They’ve realized that they would have been really happy doing so 10 years earlier. It was getting more challenging than they realized. Maybe if your anticipating issues due to a known or evolving problem make a plan now for what you want to do and when. Good luck!

My aunt and uncle lived in a 2 story house. When they could no longer climb the stairs, the installed a "chair lift" to take them up and down. Then when my aunt became bedridden, they moved her bed to the study on the first floor.
That device might be good if you have balance problems, and it would do nothing for you if you start to fall, but not for others like heart conditions.

the stair question

Eight years ago, at 57, my back went out unexpectedly and I spent about six weeks lying on my stomach in my living room. Standing, sitting, or walking was exquisitely painful. It turns out I have degenerating joints in my spine -- I'd had no idea. My friends brought my mattresses downstairs and everything happened on the first floor.

Things do happen as we get older. There may be surgeries, and you may need to be on one floor during your recovery. And at a certain point, if (best case scenario) you live to a VERY ripe age, stairs will be a burden -- as they were to my mother in her 90s. She also had no bathroom on the first floor, and had to use a potty chair, which my brother emptied.

I have two friends who are both doctors -- married to each other, very active (hiking, rowing, riding), in good health, only just retired. And they are planning to set up a first-floor bedroom suite. They went out of their way to recommend I do the same. And for what it's worth, I plan on listening to them. I'll be moving to another part of the country within the next year, and I will be looking for a house that either has a first-floor bedroom suite, or is cheap enough in price that I can have one built.

You sound as though you are in no hurry. If I were you, I'd begin leisurely thinking about moving, looking at houses in places I want to live, and seeing how the thought strikes me. If you find you hate the very idea of moving, put it off. If not, you may find an adventure ahead of you, and maybe one you'll enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom