Can I Age In Place With Stairs?

Our homes often become our enemy

Great thought must be given to the future situations we live in. From experience with an elderly father who needed a lot of consideration with mobility I feel I can add a couple of pennies to the conversation. We have a large ranch style and we set up our wing and also his wing with two master suites. Doors to bedrooms and bathrooms were widened and remodeled to accommodate the possibility of walkers and wheelchairs which did come into play towards the last three years of his life.

We gutted his bathroom to accomplish the task first with a walk-in tub and then after a time realized it was a danger in many ways. He opened the door with a full tub that flooded his bathroom and bedroom and then he would slip off the seat and go under the water. We started over with just a walk in or roll up shower with a large bench with two shower heads and two controls. The latter worked well.

Stairs would have never worked with his need for a walker then rollater and finally a wheelchair. There are four entrances to the house and two of those have inclines and stairs and the other two flat no incline no steps or obstacles.

We recently remodeled our master bath with a roll in shower because we want to be ready now if we should need that feature later. I’m 64 and she’s 61 and we have a hard time with stairs and have for years with back, hip and knee troubles.

The kitchen is next and we need to consider a plan with pull down shelving or do away with wall cabinets all together because shoulder problems prevent reaching overhead easily. This won’t ever get any better.

It’s interesting to find yourself in the situation of not being able to easily do the things you once could do without any problem. It’s a different situation for each of us and you won’t necessarily be able to think of or afford the personal accommodation. Give it serious thought towards the future.

"Music Lover, Don't you know anyone that took care of themselves and still had an accident/illness that took them out."

"Accidents still happen to very fit and strong people."

Yes, accidents do happen and your life can change in the "blink of an eye!" I have been a gym rat for over fifty years and exercised regularly with free weights, resistance machines, long hikes in the mountains and skiing regularly. I was even a PSIA ski instructor, albeit the lowest certification. I will turn seventy this May and thought I was in great shape and that being "in shape" would prevent any injuries. Well, five weeks ago doing an exercise routine I have probably performed 10,000 times, I felt a pain in my back and the next day I could hardly move! I won't get into the medical stuff but I learned, first hand, how quickly life changes. I am still healing but it is at a glacial pace and I am so happy I live in a small ranch-style house with almost everything on the first floor. But this incident has given me pause for thought and after experiencing what I did, I am now including considerations about homes with stairs versus those without, something I have never even thought about before. So, to answer the question of "can you age in place with stairs?" Maybe.

"Music Lover, Don't you know anyone that took care of themselves and still had an accident/illness that took them out."

"Accidents still happen to very fit and strong people."

Yes, accidents do happen and your life can change in the "blink of an eye!" I have been a gym rat for over fifty years and exercised regularly with free weights, resistance machines, long hikes in the mountains and skiing regularly. I was even a PSIA ski instructor, albeit the lowest certification. I will turn seventy this May and thought I was in great shape and that being "in shape" would prevent any injuries. Well, five weeks ago doing an exercise routine I have probably performed 10,000 times, I felt a pain in my back and the next day I could hardly move! I won't get into the medical stuff but I learned, first hand, how quickly life changes. I am still healing but it is at a glacial pace and I am so happy I live in a small ranch-style house with almost everything on the first floor. But this incident has given me pause for thought and after experiencing what I did, I am now including considerations about homes with stairs versus those without, something I have never even thought about before. So, to answer the question of "can you age in place with stairs?" Maybe.

It pains me to say this, but us active types have likely been wearing out our joints for years. Of course some folks may have especially durable cartilage or other genetic blessings that will protect them. Or maybe they decrease their activity level enough later in life to avoid serious problems.

I think having an orthopedic surgeon analyze our joints when we're, say, in our mid-50s would be a good idea. Of course insurance would never pay for that, and maybe we wouldn't want to know anyway! :hide:

The solution ia evident driving through older neighborhoids. Really ugly ramps. And if ita more than a couple steps its either steep ramps not to code or elaborate ramps that double back on themselves or stretch forever
What about stoop stairs?

In these parts, most houses are on crawl spaces and there is a stoop of 3 to 5 stairs. Some newer homes are on slab or have grading such that there is no major step into the first floor, maybe just one to keep the water out. So even to get to the first level involves stairs.

What's the solution? Move to Dell-Webb or newer 55+ where they avoid this design? Bid high on the rare slab home? Move to Florida where everything is on a slab?

Typical stoop:
lrg_aluminum-stoop-handrail.JPG

This thread makes me want to start a non-profit that buys one-levels and resells only to 55+ people. Maybe I'd rent for a low price while I'm trying to sell, with the provision that the tenant has to move within x months when I have a 55+ buyer.

How would this benefit anyone?

To buy them up, you'd have to out-bid the wider market. So those houses would then be more expensive for the 55+ group.

The 55+ group can do this now w/o intervention and increased overhead - just outbid the others.

I don't see how a middleman/person improves any of this.

-ERD50

To buy them up, you'd have to out-bid the wider market. So those houses would then be more expensive for the 55+ group.

The 55+ group can do this now w/o intervention and increased overhead - just outbid the others.

-ERD50

When I buy it wouldn't be in control of someone who won't leave for a 55+ person, so more would be available at SOME price. It would be a condition of renting that a tenant leave for a 55+ buyer. I'd try to get enough funding to do this so the selling price can be low enough to be worth it.

-ERD50

There you go again. Ruining someone's dream. You're just too darn practical!:facepalm::LOL::cool:

Maidensong above hit the nail on the head with her reply to OP: "If the OP is concerned about her stairs now, I think she'll be well-served by either moving to a one level home, or giving up her dining room to add a main level bathroom. As a former realtor, let me assure her an extra bathroom is always a plus for eventual resale, while a dining room has become less important."

If OP is worrying right now about stairs to the point of researching stair assist devices, she would be best advised to get herself into a one-level home with no stairs to worry about.

I do hope OP will weigh in here again with more background on her situation to enlighten folks to enable us to comment more helpfully. But for now, Maidensong's advice seems best I've heard.

This thread makes me want to start a non-profit that buys one-levels and resells only to 55+ people. Maybe I'd rent for a low price while I'm trying to sell, with the provision that the tenant has to move within x months when I have a 55+ buyer.

Isn't this what high-rises are: One level living with elevators available to rent or buy.
Beyond the available one level houses/townhomes.

Isn't this what high-rises are: One level living with elevators available to rent or buy.
Beyond the available one level houses/townhomes.

People usually want to be near their family so it depends whether there are high rises close enough. And a 55-65 year old would want to be near his job. I'm not sure what a good area for my idea would be. Too rural and single level homes may be common. Too urban and there are apartments.

Thank you so much for the helpful responses.

As the OP, I just wanted to clarify my situation and explain my new thoughts on my problem.

I am 56 and I retired a few years ago. I don't have any reason to believe stairs will become a problem, but I am just trying to proactively plan for my future. My house is a 3 bedroom, 1 bath house with all bedrooms and the bathroom on the second floor. My bathroom is a typical bathroom with a normal bathtub that could be problematic. I also have a basement and an attic. I have a private dog-friendly backyard. There is a stoop with six steps to enter the house just like all the houses in my neighborhood.

My house would be perfect if it were smaller. I just need 2 bedrooms (no basement, no attic). Also, I wish there were no steps anywhere and a more accessible bathing option.

I live in Pittsburgh where there are lots of hills and mostly old houses. There are 2,600 houses for sale on Zillow in Pittsburgh. If I limit my results to single story only, there are only 7 houses and BTW, only 1 house is truly single story. The only six listings are ads for new construction.

There are houses with a master on the ground floor and a bunch of bedrooms upstairs, but that's much more house than I need and costs are an issue. I could move far away, but global warming predictions make me wary of moving to a coast or down south. I could move out to the country about an hour away and there are a few small ranch houses--that is an option.

There are 55+ communities and senior apartments that would work. In those cases, my monthly housing costs would go up and those places are not as dog friendly. My dog will likely live 10 to 15 more years, so I would like to postpone a move for say 10 years if possible to save money and because I am happier where I am now. In addition to my daily walk, my little dog insists on going into my backyard about five times a day. He won't be as happy in say a high rise with just a patio.

I think I should add a bathroom to my ground floor. I currently have a dining room that I don't use that is connected to my living room. I could seat 12 people for dinner in that space right now. I think I could use most of that space to add a bathroom. There would still be space to seat 4 people for dinner.

The cheapest option would be to add a typical small powder room and I may do that, but instead, I think I'd like to add a wet room that would have a wide barn door and would allow me to bathe on the ground floor if either the stairs or the traditional bathtub is a problem. This picture below is sort of what I am imagining. My new wet room bathroom would be a bit wider than this so I could stand next to the toilet to shower and there would be a sink.

wet-room-tiny-bathrooms.jpg

Some potential buyers for my house may not like this addition, but I think others will see the value so I think I'll recoup some of the money I spend on this addition. During construction, I'll still have access to my current bathroom and my kitchen, so it would be ok if it took a few weeks. (I don't want to live through 6 months of construction though.)

Right now I can easily add a second hand rail to my narrow stair case. I think holding both hand rails while using the stairs slowly would work for some balance issues. My guess is that even if I begin to dislike the stairs, I will probably still be able to make it upstairs to sleep, but if I can't use the stairs, I can live on the main floor once the new wet room is added.

Once stairs become a permanent issue, I would move. The six step stoop will be a problem and I would not bother with a ramp---instead I would move. If it was a temporary issue, like a sprained ankle, I wouldn't have to move because COVID taught me I can have everything including all my groceries delivered.

These changes won't guarantee I can stay in my house, but I think odds are it will buy me 10 to 15 years and that's all I need. No matter what, I will do the work to make moving easier by downsizing and fixing cosmetic issues in the house to make it easier to sell. Since staying in my current home is my cheapest housing option, I will save funds that can be used for my final home---WHEN I NEED IT.

What are your thoughts? Will the bathroom addition be worth it?

I'd put in a bathroom now even if you don't need it now because you're going to need it sooner or later. If you get one now you'll be able to use it for the next 15 or 20 years. If you wait until you need one you may only be able to use it for a few months before you're forced to move.

So, from your comments, you are not totally adverse to moving. Sounds like you are not strongly tied to your specific neighborhood by family or close friend ties that might make moving more emotionally difficult.

You do say you would prefer a single level house with a yard for your dog. I would suggest looking into housing options meeting your stated needs in neighboring communities, and even neighboring states. A move now "might" let you move to a more retiree-friendly state that could save you on taxes, be they state income, state sales, or local property taxes. So, a move might not "cost" you, but indeed could "save" you money.

As to construction, I would not count on a bathroom getting finished in a "matter of a few weeks"! I would say at least a couple of months.

Good luck in considering your options! Be glad you have lots of options.

You are 56, and moving at 65 is difficult but quite possible. So, I am thinking that you have probably 5-10 years to find, buy, and move into your perfect home, unless of course you decide to stay where you are.

Perhaps I am mis-reading your posts, but it sounds to me like you have made most of your choices and probably have very little need for further suggestions. I like your idea of putting in the first floor bathroom that you have in mind, if you decide to stay.

Just remember

This movie came out when I was in high school (1974) and it brings back great memories. It also reminds me how quickly the time passes. Glad I live in a single story home, especially if the next 47 years go by as fast as the last 47! :LOL:

Another thought on remodeling: if your lot configuration and legal setbacks allow, how about adding a master bedroom wing to include both a main floor master bedroom and master bathroom? More expensive than just converting existing dining space to a bathroom, but it could add proportionately much more resale value to the home, as it would be additional square footage, not converted existing square footage. And, a lot of the USA's "greying" population over the next five, ten, fifteen, twenty years will "also" be looking for main floor master suites. Just another thought you may want to consider and look into possibilities. Might be something to gab about with a few builders/remodelers in your area to get some practical thoughts on this idea.

If it were doable, it might end up making your home so nice, you would want to die there!

Stairs and "worst possible" outcomes

I've have been thinking about this posting since I first read it. In a way, it is a discussion of our individual "worst case" scenario.

I live in a city. My worst case scenario is living somewhere where I need a car to go out for shopping, entertainment, appointments, visiting friends, etc. There are high rise apartments and condos with elevators here. There are one floor apartments in smaller buildings but they, like the SFHs, all have stairs.

I am in my mid-60's and recently moved to a multi-story house that has a bath on each level, unlike my prior house which was similar to OP's. If I stay here or if I have an accident and need help with stairs, I can live on the ground floor or install a lift or stair climber to the second floor. However, for as long as I am somewhat mobile, I will be able to go to restaurants, concerts, libraries and sporting events and not worry about driving or parking. For me, the benefits of being in a SFH in a city outweigh the stairs.

This is classic YMMV. Some know right now that they need to live on one level. Others don't mind driving and are confident that they can do it for a long time. Some folks can't imagine living in a city under any circumstances. Each of us is evaluating the situation based on our personal worst case. scenario

OP, I'd recommend that you speak with a local architect. Good ones can work magic in small spaces and give you an idea of what you can do to add a bathroom or more accessibility and how much it would cost. Since you are making a long term decision, you might find that the expense of using a professional is money well spent.

Good luck, BR

Thank you so much for the helpful responses.

What are your thoughts? Will the bathroom addition be worth it?

Given all of the factors you have stated and given your age and current condition, I think this plan is reasonable. It might have an impact on resale value but it is hard to know and you plan to stay 10 to 15 years may not be a big issue.

I think you could probably do this providing there is still a place to eat downstairs. That is, will there still be a place to eat in the kitchen or a smaller dining room, etc. As long you can have a place to eat downstairs -- even if not a separate dining room -- then this may work. If you won't have anywhere to eat downstairs then I would suggest that you consult with either an interior designer or architect to see if you can build the downstairs bath and still have somewhere to eat downstairs.

Oh -- I agree that making it where you can shower in this bathroom is a good idea.

That one just above does have two front porch steps. But that porch is nicely configured so it could easily and "prettily" be ramped off the left side so as to avoid even the two porch steps. Back of house also not many steps, maybe one to back porch deck, could also be easily ramped to avoid even that.

Back
Top Bottom