Canadian looking for snowbird health insur

greenhm

Recycles dryer sheets
My dw and I are mearly months now from FIRE. We have left the country for travel at only 1 months escapes, but with FIRE approaching, we will be implementing those 183 day escapes and in need of augmented health care insurance.

For those who are not aware (or who care), Canada will continue to provide health care to it's citizens as long as they do not leave the country for more than 183 days. (6 months) / per year. When canadians leave the country, they can get/buy out of province/country insurance that tops up any benefits that canada will pay while out of its boundry.

It is very easy and cheap to get short term insurance (max 31 days).

It is confusing (and possible expensive) to get longer term insurance.

I'd like to hear from other Canadians (Snowbirds?) on where you get your insurance and what are your premiums and coverage?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark.

DH and I haven't looked too closely into additional health insurance since we're not snowbirds (not even close!) but when we were both self-emplyed we had our health insurance through Alberta Blue Cross (not sure where you live). In addition to the standard health insurance, you can buy travel insurance anywhere from 30 days up to 1 year I believe for a very reasonable price.

Hi Calgary_girl

I am just 45 mins northwest of Calgary (Water Valley).
I will check further into Blue Cross.... but I think there are cheaper coverage out there... most posted coverage is for those 'older' people (> 65), but little info for us (abit) younger ones....

Hey! Thanks for the link Calgary_girl.

I found one at my bank also and they give online quotes.

Now that I know of other org's out there, I can start comparatively shopping, though, what I'd really like is "Catastrophic" or High deductable insurance to keep the premiums low. When we are outside of Canada and US, it can be much cheaper to just pay for medical care, then to make a claim.

Thanks again!

Does not seem to be many Hosers on this board, so it's nice to see someone so close....

gReeNy said:
Does not seem to be many Hosers on this board, so it's nice to see someone so close....

I agree! There a few regular Hosers that float around on the board but they all live in the centre of the universe (aka Ontario ) :p so it is nice to see that you're pretty close also!

Thanks Shok!

Another great site that adds to my list.

Have you ever had to make a claim or know anyone who has?
(Not that we plan too, but sure would like to know they are hassle free)

gReeNy

gReeNy said:
Have you ever had to make a claim or know anyone who has?
(Not that we plan too, but sure would like to know they are hassle free)

gReeNy

NOPE, it is "just in case". Also I have used it for more than 6 months with a weeks break in between, and they still write it. I cannot understand why they will write 364 day policies when Canada (Ontario) says 6 months resedency is required to maintain coverage:confused:?

SWR

I cannot understand why they will write 364 day policies when Canada (Ontario) says 6 months resedency is required to maintain coverage?Huh

Im in alberta, and they state that after 6 months, they will terminate your coverage and you'll have to wait 3 months AFTER your return, before they reinstate it. (Unless you notify them first that you'll be gone more then 6 months, then they will terminate you NOW and restart you the day AFTER your return.)

Gotta Love Choices eh?

Calgary-Girl, why do you Albertans like to display your ignorance?

To our American friends, Albertans are treated by the rest of Canada like you guys treat Texans, you know, if Texans were meant to ski, bull **** would be coloured White.

The real joke is that 40% of them have moved there is the last few years, all of a sudden, Golly Gee, Yippy Kai Yay, we're Albertans.

Summer is August 14'th.

They are also very jealous of the Heart and Financial Centre of Canada, the most important region that determines who forms the government, Ontario(We Vote Democrat, they vote for a Bush Clone, Harper and are Republican, also very strong Christian Fundamentalists, do not support Gay marriages).

Howard said:
Calgary-Girl, why do you Albertans like to display your ignorance?

To our American friends, Albertans are treated by the rest of Canada like you guys treat Texans, you know, if Texans were meant to ski, bull **** would be coloured White.

The real joke is that 40% of them have moved there is the last few years, all of a sudden, Golly Gee, Yippy Kai Yay, we're Albertans.

Summer is August 14'th.

They are also very jealous of the Heart and Financial Centre of Canada, the most important region that determines who forms the government, Ontario(We Vote Democrat, they vote for a Bush Clone, Harper and are Republican, also very strong Christian Fundamentalists, do not support Gay marriages).

What in the heck are you talking about?

Read your own posts CC, a few regular HOSERS but they are from Ontario, the centre of the universe.

Howard said:
Read your own posts CC, a few regular HOSERS but they are from Ontario, the centre of the universe.

Wow, someone obviously can't take a joke can they?

Calgary_Girl said:
Wow, someone obviously can't take a joke can they?
I don't know which is funnier-- watching the Americans beat up on each other or watching the Canadians trying to beat up each other even worse.

Reminds me of the boomer & fast-attack sailors imbibing a few frosty beverages and going at each other...

Howard said:

Yup, and in spite of these problems, ownership  all that oil and gas and now the tar sands, looks like those poor Albertans can buy pretty much whatever the hell they want. Only mistake Texas made was to pump it too soon.

Ha

A joke was Ralph Klein, the Premier of Alberta, stumblimg drunk into a shelter for the homeless and telling them it was all their fault for being lazy.

A joke was this same Premier giving homeless people bus tickets and sending them out of the Province.

A joke is that Albertans keep re-electing him.

Merry Christmas/Joyeux Noel.

Howard,

I dunno. I kinda like Klein. What is wrong with busing the dregs homeless people to Ontario? They will be welcome and they will vote Liberal. Everybody is happy.

It is kind of like Louisiana here in Alberta. All hanging out. Here in Ft. McMurray, you can almost smell the private deals being made. Actually, a LOT like Louisiana. Edwin Edwards would fit right in.

Canadian parties do not compare very well to US parties. The most hide-hound reactionary parties here are somewhat left of the Democrats in the States. They are sort of straw horses though. Canada has multiple parties in the same way Mexico does. The Liberals correspond better to the PRI.

Christian Fundamentalists? In Canada? ? ? I have lived in Kingsport, Tennessee, Houston, TX, Baton Rouge, LA, and a couple of places in Florida. Alberta is more like northern California. Oregon is more conservative than Alberta. Alberta is fairly mellow, but with lots of beggars in the streets, even at -20 C. Sturdy beggars, though. :) Edmonton's murder rate is going up and there are meth labs in Calgary. Pretty soon, it will be just like home (sniff). :p

I haven't met the Albertan who can hold a candle to a windy Texan.

Basically, I like Alberta. People are tolerant and polite--much more polite than I am. Much more tolerant than I am, too. I will enjoy it while I can. Some very nice folks are teaching me the ropes, some of them on this board.

HaHa:

Oil sands, baby, oil sands. For some reason, "tar" sands is as politically incorrect as a racial slur. Something else I have to research.

Ed The Gypsy,
a nuveau-Albertan, happily wallowing in my imported ignorance.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
  Alberta is fairly mellow, but with lots of beggars in the streets, even at -20 C.  Sturdy beggars, though.  :) 

We call them "sturdy buggers" down here. Whatever. :)

JG

Ed, Ft Mc Murray is not typical Alberta,most of the people working there are from out of te proivince, there just to make somemoeny before they head back home.

You have probably more Newfs there than most towns on The Rock?

I don't know how you handle that weather, and don't tell me it is a Dry Cold, Cold is Cold.

never mind the beggars, how about the hookers in edmontom, -30 and they are out there in thier short, tight skirts, that's tough.

Vancouver has to have more beggars than anywhere, climate makes it easier.

Merry Christmas.

I have lived in Both Ontario and Alberta. For long periods of Time. I actually prefer Alberta as a place to live, but the winter is sad. So is Ontario's though. I do like both places though. For as long as I can remember, Alberta and Ontario have Feuded, Everyone Feuds with Quebec so they don't count. ::) I also remember the "Let Those Eastern B@st#$ds Freeze in the Dark" days. :D Albeta does run their economy better, but they have the oil money to do it with. I think a Concervative government for the country would be a good thing right now. But it will NEVER happen. The Majority of Canucs vote Liberal and always will. Paul Martin and his cronies could murder the population one by one, broadcast it on the evening news, and they would still get the vote. Go figure. Albetans are all getting a $400 tax refund this winter so it cannot all be bad. I have family in both Alberta and Ontario so I get to go to both often.

Weather Solution, Canada Summer, Hot US in Winter.

SWR

Shok wave, I am looking at the snow swirling out back, getting ready to put the coat on my dod, grab the snow shoes, go out for an hour or so, and play.

I probably won't see another person, and that is just fine, each time we visit South, after about two weeks of Beach Walking and Mall shopping, time to head North.

One exception, I would love to spend a whole month in Florida just to watch Spring Training, especially since my Jays will be a serious contendedto those damn Yankees and the Blow Soxs.

We should never have let Delgado go, the Mets made a great decision, he is a Class Act.

Howard, You are right about the cold. It gets down to -40 here. (For my 'Merican bretheren, -40 C = -40 F.) Mercury freezes at about -38 C. Various body parts freeze well before that. However, we do not get much wind in the winter here, elsewise we'd all be dead. We do not spend too much time outside. Run to the bus, run to the office, run to the pub. The residents dig ski-doos and quads. I must research what they wear. I do have a balaclava with a breathing mask on it for the coldest days. Yesterday it was only -3.

All of us expats and most of the locals are here for the $ or the career. Some are exiles, having been sent to the hinterland until retirement--theirs or their tormentor--for some corporate transgression (God, it is easier being a contractor). It ain't a garden spot and the fishing is better elsewhere (Lake Athabaska!!!)

The Fort is a camp town, but surprisingly well-behaved. The RCMP hits all combatants in brawls with a $250 fine automatically, I hear. Some drivers are pretty bad, but considering all the drugs and alcohol here, it is understandable.

The hookers in Edmonton leave me alone, but everybody else thinks I am a money tree. It reminded me of Mexico. There must be some reason that my hotel on Whyte Ave automatically gives out two key cards, though, and I am beginning to wonder why there are always 7 pillows on the bed.

Recently, I have been working in Edmonton and more recently Calgary, returning to Ft. Muck for the weekends (whee). Both are interesting towns.

Feliz Navidad.

Lalo El Gitano

Back
Top Bottom