Canadian looking for snowbird health insur

Howard said:
I don't know how you handle that weather, and don't tell me it is a Dry Cold, Cold is Cold.

At least we have chinooks :) I couldn't imagine living in Winterpeg.

ShokWaveRider said:
Albetans are all getting a $400 tax refund this winter so it cannot all be bad. I have family in both Alberta and Ontario so I get to go to both often.

Yup, it's good times here with money everywhere and the lowest taxes. Ralph doesn't seem so bad.

My only complaint about Calgary was that even though there was no sales tax. Items cost the same as everywhere else in the country, in some cases more, as everything is shipped in. I noticed that it is a wash between Ontario and Alberta for most things if you take Ontario's shafting sales tax into consideration. Wine, Food, Liquor, Appliances, Furniture etc. So they get you sooner or later.

If it was not for the weather, we would live in Alberta in a heartbeat. A really nice bunch of Concervative Canadians with a self sustaining economy. Take them over the Liberals and BLOC any day. JMHO. For now we just visit both as we have family in both places. Alberta wins by a hair though.

What I do not understand about Canada is why (other than health care) the Taxes are soooooooooo high. People must get a little demoralized when they see adds for stuff just accross the boarder for so much cheaper. Wine and Booze even though insignificant to some is a Big one. What we pay $4.99, $5.99 or $7.99 for in the US on sales is a minimum of $15, $20 or $30 in Canada for exactly the same thing. Chicken, milk and eggs is almost double the price in Canada compared to what we pay in the US. A BBQ Chicken in our local Store is $3.46 every day, I paid $8.99 for the same thing in Ontario yesterday. I would say our Grocery bill in the US is about 1/3 less than it is when we are in Canada on Average, but I did notice the Produce and the quality of it is both cheaper and better. Funny considering as most is imported at this time of year. Also I was in Costco this weekend. Last week we bought a 50" Plasma TV from Costco for $2499 before tax. the Exact same TV was in Costco in Ontario for nearly $4000 dollars. I certainly do not understand that. It was also the only 50" available when in the US there was a choice of 4 different units.

SWR

People must get a little demoralized when they see adds for stuff just accross the boarder for so much cheaper.

I think it depends on WHAT you are buying and what you are familiar with, when shopping. My wife and I find that it is cheaper to purchase in Alberta than ANYWHERE else in Canada OR the US. We find food cheaper in Alberta (if you buy at costco and superstore) then in any other province, and in the US, some food things are more and some less. We are vegans, so I cannot speak for your food needs.

With non-food items, if you shop around, and wait abit, you can find electronics equal or cheaper in Alberta than in the US. For example, I picked up a GPS unit for $899 Cdn, and the cheapest I can find it in the US is $899 USD.

Restaurants are abit different. I can EASILY find cheaper healthy food restaurants in the US (especially in the warmer areas) as the produce is produced in those parts and hence it is passed on to the consumer.

Just our perception....

Canadian Taxes are higher, but when you have to start paying directly in the States, it does become a wash.

Our Tuition for University is about $3,000 US, compare that to US schools where $15,000 + is the norm.

Health Care is a major factor, the ageing popualtion will only force US premiums higher.

Drive through Michigan, it is obvious they may have lower taxes , but the state of their Highways is totally ridiculous.

Canada has more universality of systems, we have safeguards put into place that ensure minimum standards on a national level, in the US it varies by region.

Public Education in Canada is more even, unlike the US where rich neighbourhoods get better facilities, in Canada all areas have the same access.

Canada supports a larger land mass, deals in two languages, Public Servants and Teachers are paid much better, a good balance between Europe and the US.

I was often challenged as to why most Canadians live within 100km of the border, the answer is that Cream and Bastards rise to the top.

2% of the World's Population, 20% of the worlds fresh Water, the only country in the world that is totally self sufficient for Energy, Food and for Water.

Global Warming will make the areas of the US Mid West a desert, Canada will be able to produce more.

Howard said:
Canadian Taxes are higher, but when you have to start paying directly in the States, it does become a wash.

Our Tuition for University is about $3,000 US, compare that to US schools where $15,000 + is the norm.

Health Care is a major factor, the ageing popualtion will only force US premiums higher.

Drive through Michigan, it is obvious they may have lower taxes , but the state of their Highways is totally ridiculous.

Canada has more universality of systems, we have safeguards put into place that ensure minimum standards on a national level, in the US it varies by region.

Public Education in Canada is more even, unlike the US where rich neighbourhoods get better facilities, in Canada all areas have the same access.

Canada supports a larger land mass, deals in two languages, Public Servants and Teachers are paid much better, a good balance between Europe and the US.

I was often challenged as to why most Canadians live within 100km of the border, the answer is that Cream and Bastards rise to the top.

2% of the World's Population, 20% of the worlds fresh Water, the only country in the world that is totally self sufficient for Energy, Food and for Water.

Global Warming will make the areas of the US Mid West a desert, Canada will be able to produce more.

I'd agree. When I lived in the States, I found our net income to be comparable to our net income in Canada (given the same salary) so I don't agree that Canada has a higher tax system at all. Like Howard said, post secondary tuition is MUCH lower in Canada and therefore more affordable. Also, my property taxes in Calgary are much lower than what my property taxes were in Tulsa (and the roads/highways in Tulsa were a mess...)

gReeNy said:
I think it depends on WHAT you are buying and what you are familiar with, when shopping. My wife and I find that it is cheaper to purchase in Alberta than ANYWHERE else in Canada OR the US. We find food cheaper in Alberta (if you buy at costco and superstore) then in any other province, and in the US, some food things are more and some less. We are vegans, so I cannot speak for your food needs.

I also find our food bill is pretty comparable to what we were paying when we lived in the States (sometimes even less).

I think it must be an individual thing, my wife and I were DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) and we definately found Canada to be about 15% - 20% higher overall. With all our "write offs" in the US. Mortgage, State Tax, Car Tax, 6 bottles of Wine per week Etc. Etc. were were definately a lot better off. However, I agree, Produce is much cheaper in Canada and the quality better than the 3 places in the US I have lived, California, Florida and Colorado. The last 2 week Brocolli has been 0.72 cents Canadian a pound when in Florida we NEVER saw it less than $1.25 US. While that is just one example, we also find Avocados, Lettuce, Radishes, Peppers etc far better here in Canada.

SWR

Howard said:

Not to worry. When that happens USA will just invade and occupy you.

Ha

Yeah, but what if we win again, like we did in 1812:confused:

Would we have to give you guys some kind of Marshall Plan, to rebuild you:confused: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom