Car Fanatics

I sold my Mach 1 about 12 years ago. It was sweet!

download.aspx

I still love Acapulco Blue!

Last edited:
You old-car guys might enjoy a YouTube channel I watch religiously called Coldwarmotors. The creator is a master body man, and his cast of friends have the old-car bug as well. They drive around Alberta and rescue abandoned cars from the 40s and 50s.

One ongoing project is a big-finned Fury hardtop that had a bad case of floor rot. The body man cut everything off at the sills and grafted the body to the platform from a similar-bodied Dodge. The result is pretty awesome. The shows, mostly about an hour long, are posted weekly.

I should mention that the guy's daily drivers are a late-40s Frazer and a Citroen DS.

Doneat54,
That is beautiful. Enjoy it.
JP
Oh yeah!!??

THIRTY-SIX real horsepower baby!

1957, spent 7 years restoring it, finished in 1999. Still have it, have driven it about 18k miles since.......

Doneat54,
That is beautiful. Enjoy it.
JP

Thank you. I will tell you about that color. It is called "Diamond Green Metallic". In the bright sun it is very gold. In artificial light it gets a bit greener.

In August 1955, at the VW factory in Wolfsburg Germany, they made the 1 millionth Beetle. There was a huge event, and that 1 millionth Beetle was painted this color. For the next 2.5 years, it was offered as a special option, at a time when metallic paints, never mind anything not black or brown, was a rare thing. Volkswagen's paint supplier in the following years was a company called Spies-Hecker (later bought by DuPont) and they had the paint code (L412) and when I had this car painted, I found a shop that used Spies Hecker paints, and it was an exact match.

Still have my dwell meter and super sun timing light from back in the day. The other big difference between back then and now is tires. I went through my wide ovals in 3K miles and the traction sucked, while now you can still run some pretty respectable times with stock tires.
Yep, still have my dwell meter(s) and Sun timing light too (like the one pictured below)... I actually used them both not more than 3 or 4 years ago... I really have no need for such tools anymore. Also, I have a good number of specialty tools that I don't need anymore either. Maybe someday I'll dig them out and take them to a classic car swap meet... Not so much for the money but to get them in the hands of folks that need them.

Agree, tires are another huge improvement.

th

Wow, another beautiful old VW. You are spoiled.
Last one.

A 1956 "Singlecab" VW pickup that I bought out of California in 2018. This was run until the 70s, then left in various places on a huge property near Atascadero. Left outside to give it some "prairie sunburn". Californians call it "rusty". This truck is incredibly original and has it's original engine. I have done a full "paint nothing" mechanical restoration on it. Of the 9 or so date coded parts that I took out of it while restoring it, every single one was dated 1 or 2 months before production of the truck.

But you want to talk about slow? This thing couldn't outrun a Rose Bowl Parade.

Factoid: The VW buses/trucks are only 9" longer than a Beetle. They are unibodies also, you can't "unbolt" the body like you can a Beetle.

Quiz.... Should be an easy one "I think".... (No Google cheating) :)

Ok, car nuts... What is this, and why is it used?

Hint #1, it can be used on pretty much any make or model or year ICE.
Hint #2, usually needed on an older engine.
Hint #3, a cheap temporary fix.

51VrU4yxk5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Answer tomorrow if nobody knows...

Last edited:
Still have my dwell meter and super sun timing light from back in the day. The other big difference between back then and now is tires. I went through my wide ovals in 3K miles and the traction sucked, while now you can still run some pretty respectable times with stock tires.

That is a good point! What the hell am I doing still having a timing light!?! :facepalm:

Spark plug non-fouler, to keep a spark plug from getting carboned up on an oil burner engine.

Yeah, that's easy. I had six of these on an old 59 Rambler and used "recycled" oil at $0.25/quart. Remember that oil that you could buy at almost any gas stations in the late 1960's?

^^^^

38Chevy454 and aja8888

You guys got it... I knew that one should have been pretty easy. :)

^^^^

38Chevy454 and aja8888

You guys got it... I knew that one should have been pretty easy. :)

I'm from a time when you sometimes had to use a matchbook cover as a feeler gauge when you had to reset your 1955 Ford distributor point gap on the side of the road in a rainstorm. :LOL:

Picked this one up for cash on the last day of the month. Has a Mercedes version of their hybrid engine.

31890-albums276-picture2382.jpeg

31890-albums276-picture2385.jpeg

Yeah, that's easy. I had six of these on an old 59 Rambler and used "recycled" oil at $0.25/quart. Remember that oil that you could buy at almost any gas stations in the late 1960's?
I used them in a 68 Ford F-100 4x4. Hottest plugs you could find with the cheapest, thickest oil. About a quart of oil for 2 gallons of gas.

Spent $75 on an old 390, a weekend later no non-foulers needed.

Mostly Corvette’s - current and last one is a 1982 restomod. Pretty much all new except the body.

2009D4F2-C25B-48A2-8629-51A0D58756C4.jpg

Speaking of cars - Like many of you, I take my summer car off insurance for the winter. My insurance man sent me a letter reminding me to send him pics of my car before I call him to put it back on the insurance. He needs to make sure that it didn't sustain any damage during the winter when it was off insurance, in case I'm waiting to make a claim.

That reminds me that I haven't bought my retirement car yet. It's top down weather here. Time to start looking again. Thanks for the reminder!

That reminds me that I haven't bought my retirement car yet. It's top down weather here. Time to start looking again. Thanks for the reminder!

Oh, that is right! I don't recall specifics, but I remember that I liked a number of your short-list contenders.

My 1967 VW Karmann Ghia “Sophia”
Named after the Italian Actress

1386539.jpg
[/IMG]
986897.jpg
[/IMG]
918313.jpg
[/IMG]

This is my latest ride. I've had a ton of muscle cars over the past 55 years. First was a 1966 SS 396 chevelle I bought new. Back on April 19th 1966 I went with my parents to the local Chevy dealer to buy a 327 L79 nova. I ended up ordering the Chevelle which was in stock. I turned 17 on April 22nd of that year and picked it up on May 6th.

Last edited:
That video was on Youtube from 3 years before I bought the car. The Max Wedge was considered the 1st muscle car in most circles. This was the 8th one built and the first Manual stick shift. So it can be considered the first stick shift muscle car ever built.

Back
Top Bottom