Car Maintenance Rant, Part 2

I think there are a few advantages to N2 filled tires. Unfortunately these occur at a race track and nowhere else. You should consider filling your tires with N2 depending on the percentage of time your car spends on a race track.

Thanks for the suggestions of where to do more research / reading. I love this forum!

Kindest regards.

Just had my wife's Honda serviced at an independent garage, flushed brake fluid, power steering, and transmission fluid, $310. I had to insist on them getting genuine Honda stuff. Next week will be replacing coolant, and differential fluid, another $200.
They also found oil leak from valve cover gasket, quoted $170.

The dealer that fixed the air bag suggested side engine mount fix, $370. They always find something when you bring the car in. This Honda has 46,700 miles on it. Not much has been done to this car except routine oil change and new tires.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp

Just had my wife's Honda serviced at an independent garage, flushed brake fluid, power steering, and transmission fluid, $310. I had to insist on them getting genuine Honda stuff. Next week will be replacing coolant, and differential fluid, another $200.
They also found oil leak from valve cover gasket, quoted $170.

The dealer that fixed the air bag suggested side engine mount fix, $370. They always find something when you bring the car in. This Honda has 46,700 miles on it. Not much has been done to this car except routine oil change and new tires.

Mp

What are the factory service intervals for these fluid changes? Look at your owner's manual maintenance schedule. Seems like you are premature in conducting some of this service? From what I remember, coolant service is 100,000 or more miles. I don't recall that the differential oil, usually a pint or so of 75W to 90W oil, is in the maintenance schedule. Fill me in if it is.

Motor mount at 46,700 miles? They are really getting creative with unnecessary work.:rolleyes:

+1
AJA8888

Seems too frequent to me. Motor mount on a Honda? You been drag racing? I've replaced many 60-70s cars&trucks all had big traction&power in harsh running conditions. Trucks pulling heavy loads or kids that hopped up cars and getting the power to the wheels, broke the mounts. Doesn't sound typical of Honda drivers.

🐑

sometimes those mounts fail and cause a lot of racket

I've always gone with upgraded mounts myself

sometimes those mounts fail and cause a lot of racket

I've always gone with upgraded mounts myself

Old 4 cylinder Saturn front motor mounts were prone to failure, but I have not heard that happening on modern Honda's with low mileage, unless it was used for off road racing.

The leverage you hold is with your Feedback on the Service performed, you see how important it was if the Manager followed you out into the parking lot. These dealerships live for a positive rating.

Google the Ford Regional Customer Service Dept and call them. Tell them what happened -- this Dealer's Service Department couldn't change a thermostat without snapping off a bolt. And you feel that you were charged for the privilege.

We recently had to make a call to the VW Customer Service for what we thought was an excessive charge on my Wife's Passat. They took it under consideration and sent us a check for $495.

You might also want to consider making your next vehicle a Certified Pre-Owned Car with a 100K mile Warranty. You'd save all that nasty Depreciation on a new car and still get Dealer Service on big ticket repairs.

Old 4 cylinder Saturn front motor mounts were prone to failure, but I have not heard that happening on modern Honda's with low mileage, unless it was used for off road racing.

I put group n engine and tranny mounts on my WRX for racing the standing mile, 1/4 and autox

AJA888, this car is 12 years old, it is a 4WD, so want to replace differential fluid, same situation as coolant, over 10 years old. My service advisor recommended motor mount work for another customer that he was talking to on the phone as well. It is not unusual for a Honda, however, with only 46,700 miles, I declined the service.
My valve cover gasket leak was probably because the car was not driven very much and the gasket dried out. It actually is a simple job, several videos on YouTube but I am not mechanically inclined. I have never change my own oil, I do not own a lawn mower. It's too late to learn and acquire mechanical skill for me.

Mp

AJA888, this car is 12 years old, it is a 4WD, so want to replace differential fluid, same situation as coolant, over 10 years old. My service advisor recommended motor mount work for another customer that he was talking to on the phone as well. It is not unusual for a Honda, however, with only 46,700 miles, I declined the service.
My valve cover gasket leak was probably because the car was not driven very much and the gasket dried out. It actually is a simple job, several videos on YouTube but I am not mechanically inclined. I have never change my own oil, I do not own a lawn mower. It's too late to learn and acquire mechanical skill for me.

Mp

That makes more sense. You only said low mileage Honda. 4WD and 12 years old makes a difference. ;)

Motor mount issue is not making sense unless it is broken.

That makes more sense. You only said low mileage Honda. 4WD and 12 years old makes a difference. ;)

Motor mount issue is not making sense unless it is broken.

agreed

you'd know if you had a mm broken

Motor mount at 46,700 miles? They are really getting creative with unnecessary work.:rolleyes:

I had all the motor mounts in my Mercury Villager (same as the Nissan Quest) going bad at around that mileage. The engine rocked badly. It cost around $1K to replace them more than 15 years ago.

Then, I also had motor mounts on a GM and another Ford car failing quite early. Maybe some bad years in rubber production. :)

I was also told that if the motor mount fail that it will damage the transmission also?? I guess if the engine sinks it will drag down the transmission as well and can damage the transmission.

I have zero knowledge on this subject, I need to do some more research.

it can, typically a broken motor mount is something you hear. A clunking noise accelerating/decelerating or putting the car in gear.

Back
Top Bottom