Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

I was looking for Chaco sandals which are outrageously priced. The first shoe store I went to had them on clearance for 40% off AND I had a 20% off coupon. Yay! About to spend 20k on a convertible [emoji1787][emoji1787].

I bought a $100 restaurant certificate for 25% off at Groupon, during another 20% off sale, using a 10% back site for $54.

I hope it's a place you like.

I hope it's a place you like.

It is our friends' favorite restaurant, so we already had reservations to go there this weekend anyway, with or without the Groupon.

Why would anyone buy a gift card for a restaurant they didn't want to go to?

Last edited:
When in college, I seldom studied until the night before a test. I found out that the college library had a dozen copies of every textbook used in the university.

From there on, I'd just check out a textbook as needed. I sure saved big $ on not buying textbooks.

Thankfully Business School wasn't really that difficult of coursework as I listened closely in class and took notes.

The problem with this system, of course, is that you won't have the books to use as reference books later. I generally purchased my books used and much cheaper, used the library for a few, and bought new the ones I thought would be useful later on as references. I did refer to a few of those texts later on in my career and was glad I had purchased them. Of course, YMMV.

Yeah, I was gonna ask about spending $650 for a set of tires for an "older" Camry. Those must be premium tires indeed (that is, if you're still using the same size that came on cars of that age.) Probably not particularly "low profile" so maybe they're top of the line Pirelli??

I think you would be surprised what tires cost these days as oil is up and inflation is BBAACCCKKK...... (now one can get cheap Chinese made tires if you so desire for a little less.)
:LOL:

It's tough spending real $$ on our "local-only" car, but I love driving it much better than our CRV that's a decade newer. It drives so nicely on the current 8 year old Michelin Premiers, so I wanted something decent. I could have found something decent for $450 all in at Walmart, but I needed to have the 4 tires shipped to my house, then bring them to Walmart for install. The local Walmart auto has a terrible reputation and more screwing around. Decided to end the paralysis by analysis and just get the top on the line Michelin (again) at Costco. These were on sale and Costco has free rotate & balance as well as low drama if there are issues. Love the Camry-nothing but oil changes and filters in 8 years, so I can't complain.

I was looking for Chaco sandals which are outrageously priced. The first shoe store I went to had them on clearance for 40% off AND I had a 20% off coupon. Yay! About to spend 20k on a convertible [emoji1787][emoji1787].

I love Chaco's! Now that I'm no longer w*rking and relocated to SE Arizona, I live in them year round. I got a "nice" pair for general use and a beater pair for kayaking.

Saw your sig, belated congrats on your retirement, esp. in your 40's. I did the same 8 years ago. Time has flown by. Wish I could have afforded to leave even 3-5 years earlier. Can't complain though!

I was 'forced' to BTD (blow that dough) last night. Was on a date and I bought drinks and dinner for us, at a not very expensive place, so it was not painful. Nice date, worth it, lol.

Last edited:
Will get the free 7 day trial on a streaming service and binge watch the one or two favorite shows. Wait another year and do it again.

Today drove 18 miles to a Lowes for a free Kobalt headlamp. At 7AM. In the fog. Spent some time cluing in the customer service person on the Lowes promo (they hadn't been informed...), then drove 18 miles back. Car gets about 25mpg, gas alone was about $8, tires, wear and tear and such, figure about $0.50/mile so cost for the free headlamp was $18 + an hour or so of my precious time. Dunno if I can afford much more free stuff.

I think you would be surprised what tires cost these days as oil is up and inflation is BBAACCCKKK...... (now one can get cheap Chinese made tires if you so desire for a little less.)
:LOL:

Replaced two tires on the 'ol Buick last summer. IIRC, they cost about $130 each which I thought was outrageous. But they are a much heavier rating than for a Camry, I would guess. Yep, I guess everything is going up so I'd better get used to it. Not looking forward to replacing the tires on the RAV 4. They're the biggest tires I've ever owned. Still very low mileage, look great, but the years are creeping up on them. YMMV

We discovered the .99 cent cart at Sprouts today. Everything from canned chili beans to dark chocolate peppermint bars to Lara Bars.

Replaced two tires on the 'ol Buick last summer. IIRC, they cost about $130 each which I thought was outrageous. But they are a much heavier rating than for a Camry, I would guess. Yep, I guess everything is going up so I'd better get used to it. Not looking forward to replacing the tires on the RAV 4. They're the biggest tires I've ever owned. Still very low mileage, look great, but the years are creeping up on them. YMMV

Wheel diameter is what (basically) causes tires to go up in price. More material with bigger wheels. Tires (synthetic) are made from raw latex plus additives which is made from several hydrocarbon based chemicals in a calatylitic reaction. I did some work in a tire rubber plant in 2001 - 2002 in Odessa, Texas.

No more "rubber" in today's tires. This was due to WWII in the U.S. as we needed to develop lots of tires for the war. I could write paragraphs on that history as I was involved in shutting down some of the old chemical plants that made tire material.

The steel belts in today's tires are actually iron based wire coated with brass. My employer used to supply the brass for plating the wire.

I was 'forced' to BTD (blow that dough) last night. Was on a date and I bought drinks and dinner for us, at a not very expensive place, so it was not painful. Nice date, worth it, lol.
When I was first dating my wife I found out she doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs (military), thinks flowers are a waste of money, doesn't care for jewelry, dresses attractively but looks for sales, likes to vacation by camping, etc. It does make it hard to BTD. But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad she agreed to marry me.

Cheers!

When I was first dating my wife I found out she doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs (military), thinks flowers are a waste of money, doesn't care for jewelry, dresses attractively but looks for sales, likes to vacation by camping, etc. It does make it hard to BTD. But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad she agreed to marry me.

Cheers!

Way to go, Badger !

Another amazing deal on craft beer. A 24 can case of 16 ounce cans for $19.97. Pints, not the usual 12 ounce cans. This stuff is a minimum of $45 a case when not on sale. Of course, I had to stock up! Got three cases.

I bought a $100 restaurant certificate for 25% off at Groupon, during another 20% off sale, using a 10% back site for $54.

Get another 10% off. I notice at Discover rewards you can buy a Groupon gift card 10% off with your cash back balance. :)

Cheers!

I believe it was Ben Franklin who said something to the effect that "frugality was a virtue I could not find in myself, but I married a frugal woman who became a fortune to me."

Back
Top Bottom