Cheapwad Finds--Opposite of Blow That Dough!

Earlier in the thread, several posts mentioned Chinese buffet restaurants.

If you go to Europe, check out the Chinese buffet restaurants there. I think this is the new trend, because I did not run across any in my travel 10-20 years ago (but then, there were no Google maps back then for me to search).

After so many plates of pasta, I had to find something else during my 32-day trip, and an Asian meal would hit the spot. And Italy now has Chinese buffet restaurants in every major town. France too. Prices are generally 20 euros for dinner, and around 15 euros for lunch. I had 2 during the recent trip, and the food offering was better than in the US for the price, particularly as that's all you pay (no taxes, no tips).

In a French or Italian restaurant, I had to spend at least 25-30 euros/person (before drinks) for dinner to not feel hungry.

PS. And the euro was as low as US$0.92 during my recent trip.

Last edited:
The problem with this system, of course, is that you won't have the books to use as reference books later. I generally purchased my books used and much cheaper, used the library for a few, and bought new the ones I thought would be useful later on as references. I did refer to a few of those texts later on in my career and was glad I had purchased them. Of course, YMMV.

I just skipped college. Saved MASSIVE $$$ on textbooks. :greetings10:

Partly a lie...I took a few semesters.

My stepson and his wife (recently married) moved from Texas to Hawaii. Don't ask why. They shipped two cars there ($16 K shipping fees). Then a year later got divorced. Then shipped both cars back....you can't fix stupid. I don't know what they did with the furniture.

This reminds me that folks often suggest that DW and I are "lucky" to be able to live in the Islands. I agree, but warn them (nicely) that whomever you are and wherever you are, you take that with you when you move. The Islands are lovely and I love it here. But two people with problems in TX (or MD or ND) will have the same problems when they get to HI.

You are so right - even moving to Paradise won't fix stupid. SO sorry your stepson had such a bad experience. I'm betting he'll never return to HI. I know folks who hate the Islands - most of them lived a life of deprivation when in the military or as newlyweds, etc. YMMV as always.

I like value as much as the next guy but I would absolutely replace that 7 year old battery. Keeping the old one is a false economy as I see it.
I was planning to replace it , but to my surprise it tested fine. Almost same cca reading as when new. I bought the same battery for my other car and it flunked out in fewer than 4 years. I'll throw the portable jump box in the trunk though.

How often do you replace tires, assuming you don't wear them out. After retiring, we seem to age out tires instead of drive them out.

Microcenter has a 512GB SSD Inland Professional for $19.99 on sale 10/12 and 10/13. I'm amazed how low SSDs are getting.

Wsj $4

No big secret it's an easily google-able offer.

A year ago I took the $4.00 offer - full online access to WSJ - but the real reason I did it was the weekend paper. Yes I still like a physical newspaper.

Got the email today that it will auto-renew in November for $38.00 a month. Frankly I like the paper - but in 4 years when DD hopefully goes to college.that's a roughly $1,600 I'd have - that doesn't cover a college ride, but it would pay for a few ancillary things. Of course the website "cancel" feature doesn't work so I called the customer service line....

As expected the fine young lady pulled up the script and continued my $4.00 a month deal for another 6 months after which it goes to $19.49. If I don't have ht same luck I'll look into a 'new' subscription in Wife's name or a few other creative methods.

Back in the day - $38 was what I'd tip for lunches or dinners so many times.

Now - I gotta watch the money closer :)

Microcenter has a 512GB SSD Inland Professional for $19.99 on sale 10/12 and 10/13. I'm amazed how low SSDs are getting.

Darn! I just bought a (used) Samsung last night. I could not find it on the Microcenter website until I searched for "Inland Professional". Fortunately for me, it apperas that the 19.99 offer is for in-store purchases only.

I just ordered a 12 inch Chromebook, supposedly built to some military standards for $88. Less the 5% Amazon Prime Visa rebate, that comes to less than $84. Normally the thing is $129. This is a Prime member deal only. Supposedly there is a good four years left before Google no longer updates it. No guarantees on that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q9YKW15/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That’s a bargain! When I click your link, I’m getting the $129 price even though I’m a Prime member. It’s showing a 35% distance off of $199.99. I’d jump on the $88 deal.

This reminds me that folks often suggest that DW and I are "lucky" to be able to live in the Islands. I agree, but warn them (nicely) that whomever you are and wherever you are, you take that with you when you move. The Islands are lovely and I love it here. But two people with problems in TX (or MD or ND) will have the same problems when they get to HI.

You are so right - even moving to Paradise won't fix stupid. SO sorry your stepson had such a bad experience. I'm betting he'll never return to HI. I know folks who hate the Islands - most of them lived a life of deprivation when in the military or as newlyweds, etc. YMMV as always.

Stepson's bad experience came from not doing enough due diligence on his future wife. He loves the islands. :LOL:

Oh, posters here say that you ended up with the furniture they left behind. ;)

That’s a bargain! When I click your link, I’m getting the $129 price even though I’m a Prime member. It’s showing a 35% distance off of $199.99. I’d jump on the $88 deal.

I'm a Prime member and I'm getting $141. :( It must have been a lightning deal or something like that.

I'm a Prime member and I'm getting $141. :( It must have been a lightning deal or something like that.

I believe the $88 Chromebook was a lightning deal. I plead guilty to temporary confusion since I routinely am always too late responding to lightning deals.

Last edited:
I'm seeing $79.99. but look again. instead of getting the normal 5% applied to your Amazon card, it is 10%. The end cost of 71.99 +tax if you count the CC points. The offer ends in 9 1/2 hours.

Do Chromebooks sync with android phones the way that iPhones sync with iMacs/iPads? For example, if I enter something in my calendar, it automatically goes to the other hardware and they stay in sync.

My first attempt at sprouting was a fail but my new batch of seeds was just delivered and I plan to try again. Fresh broccoli sprouts at Whole Foods are $5 for a tiny carton, but a whole pound of seeds is only around $20.

I also got some stadium concert tickets almost for free for Veterans and will use a couple of free passes for the train from a public transit special to get there.

Final payment coming up on our March cruise and Holland America Line had their gift cards on sale for a few short days. Whatever you bought came with a 10% bonus.

Bought enough to drop the already fairly low cruise price by another 10%!

My first attempt at sprouting was a fail but my new batch of seeds was just delivered and I plan to try again.

Keep us posted! I love bean sprouts but have been disappointed with the price and quality at the supermarkets. I like the tiny, thin ones in salads and the thicker stemmed ones in stir-fry.

DH cuts and dyes my hair. I get compliments all the time. L'Oreal hair dye is $8.99. Hair cut free. If I go to a salon: easily $100+ with tip. I cut his hair as well.

We eat most of our meals at home. Learning new recipes and spices turned into a hobby.

We do not buy new furniture very often, if at all. We did buy a Sony 65" smart TV. But now go to a few if any movies. We used to go once or twice a week.

Our extended family share TV, movie aps. It evens out.

Wow! I color my own hair but still pay for a salon cut. Luckily I only go about 3 times a year. I have long hair but it’s in a layered cut. What kind of cut is your DH able to do? I’m impressed!

Keep us posted! I love bean sprouts but have been disappointed with the price and quality at the supermarkets. I like the tiny, thin ones in salads and the thicker stemmed ones in stir-fry.

My wife learned to make bean sprouts from mung bean by watching Youtube. It is not hard.

Last edited:
Ever since COVID, I had my wife cut my hair.

The first few cuts, she butchered it, and my head looked really bad. I took photos of it to remind my wife of what not to do. But we mostly stayed home and my hair grew out. She's doing better now on the hair cut.

I used to get a hair cut every 2 months (I hate getting hair cut and tend to let it grow too long). Each time $20.

It's not the money saved that I care about, as much as avoiding the hassle of going to a shop and sitting there waiting for my turn.

My first attempt at sprouting was a fail but my new batch of seeds was just delivered and I plan to try again. Fresh broccoli sprouts at Whole Foods are $5 for a tiny carton, but a whole pound of seeds is only around $20.

I used to get sprouting seeds from https://www.johnnyseeds.com/ They have bulk sales. I have shelves with LED lights and use plastic trays. I'm sure you can do this on a smaller scale. My setup is like this (same trays).

You can also sprout mung beans quite easily in a big pot with a metal steamer basket, cheesecloth, and lid. Ready just in a matter of days... I don't understand Chinese, but my setup is the same except I use a steamer basket in a pot.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom