Class of 2012

My name is on tomorrow night's school board agenda under RESIGNATIONS. :D There are about 15 names listed.

I will have to postpone a celebratory event, as the horrid flu monster hit Friday night. Though i am better each day, I want to totally savor the celebration (first of many).

72 days

It is I am retiring. :D

They treat them all the same. Last year, when DH retired, the school board meeting happenings were reported in our local paper and DH's name was listed as a resignation accepted by the board. It bothered me a bit, because what if some folks thought he had been fired?!? but the very first
comment (online edition) was a former student saying how sad he was to see that Mr ****** was retiring and what a great loss it was for the district.

It probably makes sense to do it like that, instead of breaking it down by category.

Last edited:
It is I am retiring. :D

They treat them all the same. Last year, when DH retired, the school board meeting happenings were reported in our local paper and DH's name was listed as a resignation accepted by the board. It bothered me a bit, because what if some folks thought he had been fired?!? but the very first
comment (online edition) was a former student saying how sad he was to see that Mr ****** was retiring and what a great loss it was for the district.

It probably makes sense to do it like that, instead of breaking it down by category.

May be they don't like to refer to it as retirement for fear of contagion:LOL:

Congratulations!!!! Im going in on the 24th myself, and cannot believe how, "ya know what, let my replacement" kind of thinking I have taken....hehehehehe:dance:

Having earned the necessary months of service to retire, I find my attitude is changing whether I will it or not. I am still working hard to teach, just put in 9.5 hours at work and brought home at least another hour of grading. But...... In a meeting today to decided what to do to 'fix' failing students next year, I was quiet.

I have 10 more working days left. I have waited for this day for many many years. I want to see what its like to sleep later, stay up late and just relax. I want to enjoy my 6 month old granddaughter. I want to watch the birds, watch the clouds, sit outside and have a cup of coffee with my wife of 43 years. I cannot wait. Oldtrig:):cool:;)

Attachments

• becca.jpg
    becca.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have 10 more working days left. I have waited for this day for many many years. I want to see what its like to sleep later, stay up late and just relax. I want to enjoy my 6 month old granddaughter. I want to watch the birds, watch the clouds, sit outside and have a cup of coffee with my wife of 43 years. I cannot wait. Oldtrig:):cool:;)

Is that youngtrig? Cute. Nothin better than spoiling grandchildren. Sweet. Enjoy your countdown.

I wish I was young but I have to deal with what I am. I have had a good life with a great family. I hope to live long enough to spoil that young girl. I just wish she would have came along ten years ago. I will be an old man when she graduated from college. I hope to see that day but time is not on my side. The countdown begins. :dance: youngtrig

. I hope to live long enough to spoil that young girl. I just wish she would have came along ten years ago. I will be an old man when she graduated from college. I hope to see that day but time is not on my side.

My father did not live to see his only granddaughter graduate from high school or college, but he was still a major influence in her life. Spoil her with a little extra cash "under the table" but more important, spend time just doing things with her. Cook breakfast together. Play putt-putt. Take a walk. Read a book. Read a book. Read a book. Pound some nails or catch a fish or grow a tomato plant. This is truly your legacy.

Just an FYI. DW (Mrs Rescue) BS bucket overflowed yesterday :facepalm: .

She submitted her retirement notice this morning, effective the end of March :LOL: ...

BTW, we originally planned on both retiring the same month/year (May, 2007). I did, she did not (last minute cold feet).

Don't need to add her name since she dosen't participate on the board.

I sent her a email this morning since she's still questioning her decision. Most of the folks have seen this before, posted many moons ago. However, it does tell quite nicely IMHO what retirement is all about:

"It's not the beginning of the end.....it's the end of the beginning....only the end of one single chapter in life......there are many more chapters yet to be written....by you! You are you now, and you will continue to be you after retiring. The only major difference will be that you no longer will have a job to clutter or clog your mind and/or life! You'll no longer have to meet someone else's standards.....you get to set your own standards, and achieve whatever you want to achieve.

Your job is not who you are, it's merely been a means to reach the beginning of a new chapter in your life.....the beginning of a new journey.

It's like you drive to the airport....but the airport isn't your destination. At the airport you board a plane....but the plane isn't your destination. The plane drops you off in some port city.....but that port city isn't your destination. In the port city you hop aboard a cruise ship.....but the cruise ship isn't your destination. The cruise ship take you to some tropical paradise......and it can go on and on and on, limited only by your desires and your imagination. Each step is just a tiny piece of puzzle of your life's journey. As you keep pressing forward, the past will gradually fade into the distance.....not necessarily forgotten, but rather just not as important as the present. I remember the past, but I don't live there....and I look forward to the future, but I haven't reached it yet....so I just live each moment for all it's worth, and life is great!

I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?" My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid.....before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime....whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!"

No need to fear....come on in! The water's great!!!"

Last edited:

Congrats!!! You will be retired early enough in the year to enjoy the spring and summer! I see that you enjoy many of the simple things that are on my list - sleep late, bird watch, sit on the porch with a cup of coffee, and just basically be able to enjoy life. I have 225 more days, so hopefully we will have a beautiful fall this year in the midwest. :)

Wow! I am getting a serious case of short-timers attitude. Any suggestions on curing it? :confused: Or keeping it going? :dance:

Chuckanut said:
Wow! I am getting a serious case of short-timers attitude. Any suggestions on curing it? :confused: Or keeping it going? :dance:

Same here. I was just saying this feels like senior-itis. The next phase is close, and I am much more focused on that than on the end of this one.

One month to my 9 day vacation. Then I am back for 2 weeks until I give notice. Total senior-itis!

9 more days and I will be retired (age 56) from IBM after 28 years of service. I am very grateful for the career I've had as well as the remnants of a pension plan that I will continue to enjoy. Each day the excitement just grows and grows!!!

Oldtrig, that is a gorgeous baby!

And rescueme, please give "Mrs Rescue" my congratulations. My DH is in his 2nd year of retirement and it took him a while but he's learned to play. And some days he just lets some time evaporate - that's another quote I picked up at er.org, I don't know who said it first but it fits well.

Six more working days for me at age 64.5 . I am not what you call the early retiree but I will be retired. :cool::cool:
I doubt I could have made it happen in my 50's but hopefully I will be ok in my mid 60's. over an out oldtrig:dance:

Thanks Sue J , She is a doll. My wife cannot see enought of her and I feel the same way. I hope to have much more time as of next week. oldtrig

Taking my chances in 2012 myself, Eligible for a pension in August. Work for the state of Illinois and as you may know, Illinois is broke, wanting to change the pension plans for current state employees. I will go talk to retirement next month, but as of now I think I will retire 07/31/2012 after 32 years before they change the rules.
Get out while you can, Ron. I am a retired city of chicago employee. Wow, 32 years, enyoy your life. Good Luck.

> 9 more days and I will be retired (age 56) from IBM after 28 years of service.

I worked for IBM too. I could not make it. I worked for a SW company that was acquired and just was unhappy with the culture. I quit.

Good for you!!!!

I am not of this class as you all can tell by my name. But oh, how I enjoy reading this thread. The excitement expressed by each of you who are about to ER this year really motivates me to stay on track with my own ER. Have a wonderful day EVERYONE!

Six more working days for me at age 64.5 . I am not what you call the early retiree but I will be retired. :cool::cool:
I doubt I could have made it happen in my 50's but hopefully I will be ok in my mid 60's. over an out oldtrig:dance:
good for you. I still have a little under 18 weeks (with 2 vacations in between)

Back
Top Bottom