Class of 2013

Did the official notification today. I'm out end of March!

Its so exciting reading this thread and seeing planning and dreams become reality. Congratulations to the class of 2013. I'm still hoping to join y'all but I'm having serious doubts. I "only" have a 90% success rate of my portfolio making it to ages 87 - 92 (depending upon the calculator) and I'm afraid of making a decision that I will later regret.

Its so exciting reading this thread and seeing planning and dreams become reality. Congratulations to the class of 2013. I'm still hoping to join y'all but I'm having serious doubts. I "only" have a 90% success rate of my portfolio making it to ages 87 - 92 (depending upon the calculator) and I'm afraid of making a decision that I will later regret.

Apologies for sounding negative, but at "only" 90%, I would also be having second thoughts. Actually, at 90% I would not retire ... but then, I am fairly risk adverse about these things and would much rather work an extra year or two up front than worry about having to either scramble for a job much later in life or make some unpleasant lifestyle cuts (which is why I am class of 2013 rather than 2011 or 2012).

I will join this Class at end of March. I am at 3 WR. Yeah! Please add me to this Class in spite of the fact that my name is Retire2014. I reached my goal earlier than planned and I am included in a mass layoff with a decent severance package so I am going to kiss my alarm clock good bye!

I gave "unofficial notice" today. I wrote in the "Career Goals" section of my performance review that my goal is "Retire" and my target date is "Spring 2013". I said I haven't chosen an exact date yet. I'm planning to wait until after major surgery scheduled for late in April to retire, but I haven't yet decided if I will wait until after the operation to actually submit my retirement request.

I will join this Class at end of March. I am at 3 WR. Yeah! Please add me to this Class in spite of the fact that my name is Retire2014. I reached my goal earlier than planned and I am included in a mass layoff with a decent severance package so I am going to kiss my alarm clock good bye!

:dance: Congratulations ! Are you really going to kiss it goodbye ? I'd be smashing mine with a sledgehammer LOL

:dance: Congratulations ! Are you really going to kiss it goodbye ? I'd be smashing mine with a sledgehammer LOL

No sledge needed here. My alarm clock will just be re-purposed. Still need a little help getting up early to fish, start long bike rides, golf, etc, etc ;)

We're letting the staff know on Friday that March 29 is my last day. This is after 39 years with the same firm. It's kind of weird to have the day fast approaching, but I am looking forward to Monday, April 1!

Hermit, that may not be necessary. Unless your son lives with you, has he not established residency on his own at school?

Hi all
Joining the class this summer! Originally had planned a half time schedule until 2014 but after much discussion with my partners am staying full time for now and then retiring at the end of July!
Nervous excited and relieved!

Congratulations, Nikki! What a great time of the year to retire! What will you do this summer?

I've done 23 years in a part of the country I hate, in two jobs that I have not enjoyed (there was one good year). Been in present job for 7 years. I try telling myself that in retrospect bad years just telescope--I can't tell you much about the last five years, for example, or being in the hospital years ago--so the next year or two will also seem to evaporate after they have passed, no matter how long they seem to take to go by.

Are you ER in 2013? Please confirm. After having read your post, I really really hope you will ER soon. Take care!

I just dropped in here after a VERY BUSY 2012 doing a lot of W*RK!!

TO ANNOUNCE:

I AM FIRED IN mid April 2013!!!:dance::clap::dance:

Ok, so I am 59 yo, but I forgot to retire! :facepalm: DANG~~!!
Thanks for making me aware of that point ER PEEPS>>>:D

And then it took 4 years to sell my business & everything & it should be over soon.....closing on the last deal in 6 weeks.

No pork & beans for this lady..... I'll toast to a 99 point Syrah and trips to tropical beaches...;)

It's finally over!

Yesterday was my last day at work. It ended up being a very emotional day but I survived. It started at 11:30 am with cake and punch with 250 co-workers. Right before we went to the assembly area I told my wife "this is how it must feel right before you are executed". She agreed, then we proceeded to the assembly area.
My boss gave a short thank you speech and then it was my turn to speak. I swear I had no idea what was going to come out of my mouth. My wife told me later that it sounded good and everything made sense. I just barely kept my composure at the end of the speech. They gave me a real nice gift and I shook everyone's hand and we said our goodbyes. I then had lunch with the company owner and his son which was very pleasant. I have worked for the company owner for 40 years and we frequently had lunch together so the lunch was no big deal.
Anyway, he invited my wife and I to go out to dinner with his family after work. When I showed up at the local country club I was led to a private banquet room where 80 people jumped up and yelled surprise. I almost had a heart attack on the spot. I was totally shocked at the cross section of people assembled to celebrate my retirement. They had put together a photo slide show of various things I was involved with over the years which ran the entire evening.
Then drinks and a real nice meal. Then more drinks and more gifts. Amongst other things included a $1000 set of golf clubs and a reproduction of a painting of the owner, two other start up employees, and myself in front of our first facility. I had turned in my master key in the day before so they presented me with a card with the key attached in case I change my mind. There was much more, but I won't take the space to describe everything in this post.
It ended up being a very good day, and when I woke up this morning I felt as though the weight of the world was gone. And I feel great. I am very much looking forward to my new life. I also want to thank the members of this forum who through there support, encouragement, and posts, helped me get thru this experience.

Yesterday was my last day at work. It ended up being a very emotional day but I survived. It started at 11:30 am with cake and punch with 250 co-workers. Right before we went to the assembly area I told my wife "this is how it must feel right before you are executed". She agreed, then we proceeded to the assembly area.
My boss gave a short thank you speech and then it was my turn to speak. I swear I had no idea what was going to come out of my mouth. My wife told me later that it sounded good and everything made sense. I just barely kept my composure at the end of the speech. They gave me a real nice gift and I shook everyone's hand and we said our goodbyes. I then had lunch with the company owner and his son which was very pleasant. I have worked for the company owner for 40 years and we frequently had lunch together so the lunch was no big deal.
Anyway, he invited my wife and I to go out to dinner with his family after work. When I showed up at the local country club I was led to a private banquet room where 80 people jumped up and yelled surprise. I almost had a heart attack on the spot. I was totally shocked at the cross section of people assembled to celebrate my retirement. They had put together a photo slide show of various things I was involved with over the years which ran the entire evening.
Then drinks and a real nice meal. Then more drinks and more gifts. Amongst other things included a $1000 set of golf clubs and a reproduction of a painting of the owner, two other start up employees, and myself in front of our first facility. I had turned in my master key in the day before so they presented me with a card with the key attached in case I change my mind. There was much more, but I won't take the space to describe everything in this post.
It ended up being a very good day, and when I woke up this morning I felt as though the weight of the world was gone. And I feel great. I am very much looking forward to my new life. I also want to thank the members of this forum who through there support, encouragement, and posts, helped me get thru this experience.

CJ-

That's wonderful! Everyone's last day at work should be so pleasant.

Clearly, you made a tremendous contribution and were much appreciated and admired a work.

All the best in your new phase.

"...Then more drinks and more gifts. Amongst other things included a $1000 set of golf clubs and a reproduction of a painting of the owner..."
Hey CJ, other than the drinks, gifts, golf clubs and painting I got the same things!
Closest thing to a gift for me was a last-minute final agreement by the company to have me continue 1-2 days/week w*rking from home, and I get to select the 2 days each week.

I expect to receive a standard-sized American flag as a one-size-fits-all retirement "gift." Then again, with all the budget cuts, I may not even get that.

Mr. A. received a flag and a nice desk clock, but they stopped giving out the clocks quite a few years back.

As long as Congress doesn't mess with my pension :( We own enough clocks, and one flag per family will suffice...

Amethyst

"...Then more drinks and more gifts. Amongst other things included a $1000 set of golf clubs and a reproduction of a painting of the owner..."
Hey CJ, other than the drinks, gifts, golf clubs and painting I got the same things!
Closest thing to a gift for me was a last-minute final agreement by the company to have me continue 1-2 days/week w*rking from home, and I get to select the 2 days each week.

Back
Top Bottom