Class of 2013

What a wonderful and thoughtful send off, the kind I thought had gone away for good.

I am happy that your years of w*rk were so well recognized and appreciated.

Now it is time to ROCK RETIREMENT!!! :)

What a great way to end a job and start a retirement.

It's finally over!

I think the thing I appreciated most was everyone seemed to accept and understand my decision to walk away. The tank was empty, I really don't think I could have worked another week. Yes, it was way beyond anything I expected. I guess I underestimated what some people really thought of me. My job frequently involved dealing with problems and difficult situations. Sometimes I actually felt like a referee. I couldn't spend a lot of time worrying about what people thought about me. I assumed the worst. The sincere and in some cases heartfelt exchanges I experienced with many of my coworkers has really positively changed my outlook. I have a lot of thank you notes to write.

Hermit, that may not be necessary. Unless your son lives with you, has he not established residency on his own at school?

I read the rules posted at his school and as I could determine residency is determined by "He Who Pays the Bills" which would be me. Independence was difficult to prove and certainly not applicable as long as Dad was paying the bills. In other states, it may be possible, but unless I missed something, not in Virginia. :(

Congratulations cjacks, it sounds like you worked for a pretty decent company and was a highly respected employee. But after 40 years I can understand why the tank was running on empty. Enjoy your well deserved retirement.

cjacks, congratulations ! It's nice to see that your 40 years of dedication was so appropriately honored. Enjoy the golf clubs !!! Make sure they get lots of use :)

Congrats cjacks!!!
Sounds like so many felt you are a very special person. Truly deserving of enjoyable ER.

Congratulations, cjacks! My last day was not so long but still pretty heartwarming. Guess if people showed more appreciation and thanks before we retired there might be fewer retirees. But that's not how we're wired.
Enjoy your days and fill yourself back up with pleasure, relaxation, and fun!

"Guess if people showed more appreciation and thanks before we retired there might be fewer retirees."

Missedearly62,
You know I was thinking the same thing. Although, I think I was partially to blame for how people treated me before I retired. As I think back I was to straight to the point about things. I was so bored with doing the same thing for so long that in the end I demonstrated very little patience. It's a little late to have figured it out but I think we get what we give. Like you said " that's how we are wired".
I am taking my time and writing real nice thank you notes. I would very much like to make my friends feel the way they made me feel, even if it was only for a day. Many showed me kindness like I had not seen for a long time. Over the years I occasionally had to deal with some real jerks, but in the end I realize I was lucky to have worked with a lot of good people.

cjacks,

After such a memorable send off, I'm sure you are well on your way to an equally rewarding retirement. Best wishes for many good years ahead!

April Fools Departure

I just put in my paperwork. Last day worked, 1 April 2013!

Sweet!!!! I'm 36 months away. Coasting until my kids are done with college.

My last day was 2/22, which is not only Washington's birthday but is also easy to remember in its own right, because of all the "2"s. It somehow didn't quite seem real then, but I just got my last check today. Now I definitely feel retired. It was for a little over $54,000 (gross), which mostly represents a cash payment in lieu of years of accumulated leave. It's a good feeling - all the years of preparation and planning have finally come to fruition and I'm home free.

It was for a little over $54,000 (gross), which mostly represents a cash payment in lieu of years of accumulated leave.

Wow - that's great. But if I was managing that company, I'd fire the CFO and the HR Director. Most companies won't allow their employees to carry forward that much unused leave. Imagine carrying millions of dollars leave liability on the balance sheet.

Well, I was kind of thinking I might work till closer to the end of the year, mainly so I could rack up more leave to get paid for, and to also be able to keep putting $$ into my TSP. For some reason though, things seem to be getting more & more of a pain in the azz lately. I honestly don't know if I can make it till the end of the year. I'm eligible now, but was hoping to stick around just a few more months. Not sure I can hang on that long.

Well, I was kind of thinking I might work till closer to the end of the year, mainly so I could rack up more leave to get paid for, and to also be able to keep putting $$ into my TSP. For some reason though, things seem to be getting more & more of a pain in the azz lately. I honestly don't know if I can make it till the end of the year. I'm eligible now, but was hoping to stick around just a few more months. Not sure I can hang on that long.

OMY can definitely be OMPITA. :)

I found the reverse to be true. Because I didn't have to put up with all the BS if I didn't want to, I found it less irritating. I could sit in a meeting and listen to others drone on and on while smiling to myself, knowing I could walk anytime I wanted to.

Makes sense, not sure why it's suddenly such a PITA. Yesterday, I challenged my boss pretty forcefully on a tele-conference with the rest of the team listening in...

Later the same day, I jumped a co-worker's ass who tried to hand me some of his work. Long story, but trust me, I was justified.

Until this year, I was pretty mild-mannered but I find I'm less & less likely to put up with any bs at work anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old & grumpy...lol

I think it's because the end is in sight and you don't have to worry about burning any bridges. You don't have to take the BS.

Right now, I'm doing one of my boss's assignments because he doesn't have a clue. They want me to combine spreadsheets so everything is in one place and it can be linked. Unfortunately for them, the sheets can't be automatically linked and a lot of manual linking needs to be done each year. He won't have a clue come next year, even with all the sheets in one workbook.

Even though I have to work to the end of the year before retiring, I haven't taken any BS from them. I got an email from him saying I wasn't taking the assignment seriously, so I fired back that he didn't have a clue as to what was needed, because I was only told to work on a subset of the task. Only later did I find out I was to do all of it. Even then, they don't have a clue because they just don't know (boss and his boss both less than 1 year on job).

Makes sense, not sure why it's suddenly such a PITA. Yesterday, I challenged my boss pretty forcefully on a tele-conference with the rest of the team listening in...

Later the same day, I jumped a co-worker's ass who tried to hand me some of his work. Long story, but trust me, I was justified.

Until this year, I was pretty mild-mannered but I find I'm less & less likely to put up with any bs at work anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old & grumpy...lol

Me too !! I'm close and I can "taste it". Today I blew up pretty badly. I've found that I'm more "open" now - which means I speak my mind ALOT more. Most of it is griping about the BS. I wish I could more like REWahoo and sit back and smile to myself. Maybe I'll stick cotton in my cheeks to make it harder to talk LOL

Definite maybe on joining Class of 2013 in my mid 50's. Co just approved a roughly 3mo unpaid leave (with HI, FWIW). Two FA's say I'm comfortably FI based on last sev yrs actual expenditures, and last yr investment inc was well over actual expenditures. After Co's approval of leave request, I was at first exuberant at prospect of 3mo off..... then ER. Now somewhat uneasy. After 3mo off w#rk, what if I like it? ER earlier than I envisioned & constantly explaining to all why I'm "off w#rk" so 'young'. What if I DON'T like it? Then horrified at the thought of having to w#rk until the big dirt nap. FWIW- plenty of outside interests to keep me busy, but leaving behind 30+yrs of highly technical skill is tougher than I thought it might be. Overall I guess it's a good problem to have, but still not an easy decision to move on with next phase of life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom