Class of 2013

Handed in my notice at work yesterday, putting me on track for my 05 Oct ER date. I got high fives from many in my workplace, however my family were a little shell shocked that I actually did it. They'll get over it, 'cause I sure have!

Received my job termination notice yesterday, six weeks out, making it all official now. Amusingly, my main nemesis has become very reasonable to deal with, workload is light, and organisational BS seems to have slowed to a crawl lately - I'm actually enjoying my job ATM! I'm not falling for it though; if I stayed on all three would be back stronger than ever in no time. Stay on ER target :D

Received my job termination notice yesterday, six weeks out, making it all official now. Amusingly, my main nemesis has become very reasonable to deal with, workload is light, and organisational BS seems to have slowed to a crawl lately - I'm actually enjoying my job ATM! I'm not falling for it though; if I stayed on all three would be back stronger than ever in no time. Stay on ER target :D

Isn't it amazing how much more tolerable things get once you reach point where corp politics & "organizational BS" no longer affects you?
Agree 100% that this crap is typically right back on (if not worse) for those who decide to go back.

Well, the BS bucket just got full again so I'm now contemplating my last day of work being December 31st, and first day of retirement January 1st. Does that put me in the Class of 2013 or 2014? Or do I get to be in both? :)

Well, the BS bucket just got full again so I'm now contemplating my last day of work being December 31st, and first day of retirement January 1st. Does that put me in the Class of 2013 or 2014? Or do I get to be in both? :)

You get to pick, I'd think! And congratulations on being so close to ER! :D

My last day of work was 11/9/2009, so I call that my retirement day even though I worked that day.

I'm shooting for Dec. 31st myself. I'll be submitting my papers around the 1st of October. Just barely gonna slide in & still be in the Class of '13.

Guess you can now add me to the Class of '13. My FT contract termination has been officially granted. Was going to w#rk a bit of PT over the coming months, but apparently the funding for that has dried up. Oh shucks :D

Last edited:
Even though my DH's last day of work was back at the end of June, his first day of ER won't be until Friday, his first back in the USA after our school bus journey of the summer.

I'm looking forward to his realization that it is real, and he can actually enjoy himself and find things he wants to do instead of has to do with his time.

He may have to join the forum to get some lessons in whaddya do all day.

Does that put me in the Class of 2013 or 2014? Or do I get to be in both? :)

You get to pick, I'd think! And congratulations on being so close to ER! :D

Definitely pick 2013. We are way cooler than the 2014 OMY crowd. :LOL:

I'm shooting for Dec. 31st myself. I'll be submitting my papers around the 1st of October. Just barely gonna slide in & still be in the Class of '13.

Thats the way to do it! :D

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to get into the politics of stuff that will happen at w*rk after I leave. A little more than 3 months to go and it is a relief knowing I don't have to fight over things that will no longer be
in my purview in 2014!

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have to get into the politics of stuff that will happen at w*rk after I leave. A little more than 3 months to go and it is a relief knowing I don't have to fight over things that will no longer be
in my purview in 2014!

Haha that's a great feeling! Sometimes I had to really try hard to act like I cared.

Especially this afternoon when she came in to say "we" were $40k over budget for the last fiscal year and what are we going to do? I wanted to say, $2000 over budget is forgivable but $40k is your bad management! She gets the budget reports every month for goodness sake!

Especially this afternoon when she came in to say "we" were $40k over budget for the last fiscal year and what are we going to do? I wanted to say, $2000 over budget is forgivable but $40k is your bad management! She gets the budget reports every month for goodness sake!

Reminds me of a timeless proverb: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

I am there.
My last active day was on 10th.
I will get paid till end of month.

The only downsides: DH got spinal surgery yesterday. His walking got worse by the day. Fortunately we had cancelled our post-retirement-trip to Namibia some days before. Surgery is successful so far.
But our oldest brother in law (76) suddenly passed away yesterday. He had an aortic rupture.

Life is short and fragile.

Even though my DH's last day of work was back at the end of June, his first day of ER won't be until Friday, his first back in the USA after our school bus journey of the summer.

I'm looking forward to his realization that it is real, and he can actually enjoy himself and find things he wants to do instead of has to do with his time.

He may have to join the forum to get some lessons in whaddya do all day.

Welcome back!

I'm sure Don will find interesting things to fill his days...or you will. ;)

Glad the trip went well.

Pick both and celebrate twice! :dance:

I am there.
My last active day was on 10th.
I will get paid till end of month.

The only downsides: DH got spinal surgery yesterday. His walking got worse by the day. Fortunately we had cancelled our post-retirement-trip to Namibia some days before. Surgery is successful so far.
But our oldest brother in law (76) suddenly passed away yesterday. He had an aortic rupture.

Life is short and fragile.

Best wishes for DH's quick & complete recovery.
And condolences on the sudden loss of your BIL.
Life is indeed short & fragile. It is so easy to forget that & begin to take things for granted.

Thanks for the good wishes.
DH is home now. Still weak but in good mood.
I will attend BIL's funeral this afternoon.

Not the best start of ER.

Please add me to the list for class of 2013. My Lump Sum pension was going to drop on 1/1/2014 due to the PBGC interest increase so I pulled the trigger and am retiring before that happens. I've posted a few times but mainly have been a lurker but I enjoy learning from you all.
-Bogie 57

Please add me to the list for class of 2013. My Lump Sum pension was going to drop on 1/1/2014 due to the PBGC interest increase so I pulled the trigger and am retiring before that happens. I've posted a few times but mainly have been a lurker but I enjoy learning from you all.
-Bogie 57

Welcome from a fellow '13 classmate :dance:

I just got my pension forms this week. They want them turned in 2 months before you retire and may be contacting your employer. I found out that they won't contact your employer until after they notify Retirement & Benefits of your termination. Sweet!

I have a boss who thinks anyone can do your job if they have written procedures. I joke with a co-worker about writing procedures for solving problems that you don't know about, which encompasses over half of our jobs. So I won't be spending my last 2 months writing meaningless procedures and can spend it laying the groundwork for an orderly transition, not that they'll use it.

My main task today was to draft an announcement telling the office that I am retiring as a partner on Monday. :dance: Needless to say, it is a great announcement. :LOL:

Still on for 12/20/2013 but today had a big cash outlay of $3100 for an ill dog. More to come and another dog that needs surgery soon. Thinking I may have to add 6 months onto my retirement date but waiting to see how it all turns out. Love my mutts and would rather spend the remainder of their time with them and not at w*rk

Still on for 12/20/2013 but today had a big cash outlay of $3100 for an ill dog. More to come and another dog that needs surgery soon. Thinking I may have to add 6 months onto my retirement date but waiting to see how it all turns out. Love my mutts and would rather spend the remainder of their time with them and not at w*rk

+1

I'm on the couch with mine, who's laying upside down on his back...dreaming. Wish he could live as long as I do.

Last edited:
Here's my little dude. :)

22025-albums119-picture1082.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom