Join Early Retirement Today

countdown
Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #121
Confused about dryer sheets

countdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
I'm targeting mid April 2022 and couldn't find a 2022 thread so I ended up posting in the 2024 thread until I found the 2021 thread which was closer. Nice to see a 2022 thread created.

If I get offered a standard departure package from the company, I'd probably call it a day at that point since the packages are relatively generous and should be enough, after taxes, to cover my half of our basic annual expenses for about 3 years.

It's not critical at this point yet but I'm debating when to drop hints to my manager that I might be interested in a package (it's kind of vague when they might be offered so it might help if I indicate I'm interested) versus giving enough notice so they can hire and train a replacement. I think my ideal situation would be to snag a package about a year out in Q1 2021 or Q1 2022.

And I'm counting alright...
46.3 months = 1407 days to go -> 858 working days left after subtracting weekends, statutory holidays, and vacation days.
wow, I am not the only one counting the months, but not going OCD and counting days - lol. 17 months left for me!
Bee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Joining the Class!
Old 04-09-2021, 09:45 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Joining the Class!

You can see my lengthy introduction post, but long story short I've currently negotiated a 2022 exit year. Any exit for me will be after an RSU date. However, in the spirit of my ongoing OMY battle, the date could slide to Jan 1st, purely for tax minimization. We are FI and are only padding FAT at this point.

I've given up hopes of a buyout that would accelerate us into 2021. We're both facing promotion/expanding responsibility, which keeps us engaged and away from looking at a countdown clock. And that, of course, has its downsides (OMY).
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Still looking good for March 2021, just before my 50th birthday. All calculators (Firecalc, Fido, Vanguard) give great success rates.

I'm now up to $1.7 M total cash + investments and Sweetie is at $1.2 M. So almost $3M between us, which we'll probably get to by my FIRE date. Sweetie will FIRE a couple of years after me.

I can't believe its coming together. I want to start a countdown but I always have this feeling of dread, like the other shoe is waiting to drop and ruin my plans...sigh.

Even so, I am starting to think through the rest of this year. Our annual reviews are usually late November/early December and I'll drop the news to my boss then but give formal notice after New Years.

I feel a little guilty at w*rk since they have no clue and I've been towing the company line all this time. They will be really shocked. I know the general consensus is give your required notice and that's it, but I don't want to leave on bad terms and want to give some time to wrap up some projects and properly transition others. Worst case, if they show me the door right away, it won't be detrimental to my future plans.

Once I tell my boss, I'll start telling family. I've already dropped some hints and some family are not supportive but so be it. I've told a few close friends and they are happy for me.

First year plans after retirement - celebrate my 50th with my Sweetie with a quick local getaway, then a longer cruise to the Galapagos later in the year. In between, just slowing down and savoring the freedom! Can't wait!!
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally posted in the 2021... But I guess technically I will be in the class off 2022...
Last day of work is 12/16, But official retirement date is 1/1/22

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally hit the 1 year to go mark today which is a nice milestone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee4 View Post
wow, I am not the only one counting the months, but not going OCD and counting days - lol. 17 months left for me!
I highly recommend NOT counting the days. It's driving me mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseux View Post
Any exit for me will be after an RSU date. However, in the spirit of my ongoing OMY battle, the date could slide to Jan 1st, purely for tax minimization. We are FI and are only padding FAT at this point.
I too was timing my exit for a last set of RSU's to vest but then I just received a bunch of Options this year that need a couple of years to vest so I'm going to end up leaving that on the table. We're currently padding FAT too but also to serve as another buffer.

I had pretty much convinced myself that I would not have OMY syndrome but now as I round into the stretch run, I've discussed with the missus, "How crazy would the incentive have to be for me to stay OMY?" However, I can't see my VP approving enough of an incentive to convince me to stay, even though I have a pretty good relationship with him. (Though, it would only need to be a fraction of what I've seen him spend for a "team building" event. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Even so, I am starting to think through the rest of this year. Our annual reviews are usually late November/early December and I'll drop the news to my boss then but give formal notice after New Years.

I feel a little guilty at w*rk since they have no clue and I've been towing the company line all this time. They will be really shocked. I know the general consensus is give your required notice and that's it, but I don't want to leave on bad terms and want to give some time to wrap up some projects and properly transition others. Worst case, if they show me the door right away, it won't be detrimental to my future plans.
I'm kind of in the same boat. My manager is clueless about my retirement and has been mentioning my role for high level plans in 2022 already. I'm going to let my manager know in October that I'm likely going to leave the company in 2022 but ask him to keep it under his hat. It's partly selfishly to see if I can snag a departure package if they need to layoff people by end of year and also due to us having annual reviews done also around Nov/Dec and I don't want him to fight for raise for me which he's done for me previously.
I'm going to give notice in early January so they don't assign me a complex project that will have to get transitioned to someone else anyways. Plus, I backloaded a bunch of vacation time so will (hopefully) be off frequently until my departure date.

Quote:
First year plans after retirement - celebrate my 50th with my Sweetie with a quick local getaway, then a longer cruise to the Galapagos later in the year. In between, just slowing down and savoring the freedom! Can't wait!!
We were planning a Baltic cruise the month after I retire but the missus doesn't want to book until there's more certainty around the ports of call. Fingers crossed.
I recently watched a Galapagos presentation by Celebrity Cruises and the Galapagos look like a fantastic experience. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
Last day of work is 12/16
That's going to be here in a blink of an eye!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks YVR...very excited for my first relaxed vacation ever without checking in with office etc.

Upgrading my decade old camera equipment this year prior to pulling the plug. My old Canon cropped sensor DSLR will be upgraded to a Canon Mirror less EOS RP. And I just ordered a GoPro Hero 9 to bring on our Alaska cruise this year and the Galapagos next year.

Anyone else upgrading their stuff before pulling the plug?
Old 04-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I too was timing my exit for a last set of RSU's to vest but then I just received a bunch of Options this year that need a couple of years to vest so I'm going to end up leaving that on the table. We're currently padding FAT too but also to serve as another buffer.

I had pretty much convinced myself that I would not have OMY syndrome but now as I round into the stretch run, I've discussed with the missus, "How crazy would the incentive have to be for me to stay OMY?" However, I can't see my VP approving enough of an incentive to convince me to stay, even though I have a pretty good relationship with him. (Though, it would only need to be a fraction of what I've seen him spend for a "team building" event. )
It can be lucrative to pad with OMY of variable compensation but at some point we all have to say, "enough". In your case, to justify several OMYs, any incentive better be huge. Who knows, any pullbacks with a stock price can make the decision really easy.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:24 PM   #128
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Thanks YVR...very excited for my first relaxed vacation ever without checking in with office etc.

Upgrading my decade old camera equipment this year prior to pulling the plug. My old Canon cropped sensor DSLR will be upgraded to a Canon Mirror less EOS RP. And I just ordered a GoPro Hero 9 to bring on our Alaska cruise this year and the Galapagos next year.

I'm fantasizing about the idea of returning home from a vacation and still being on vacation
Escapevelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #129

Quote:
Just my cell phone because my megacorp has a phone plan and hardware subsidy perk that refeshes every couple of years. Looking to upgrade the cell phone late this year and hoping they don't ask me to pay back the subsidy when I leave early next year.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #130
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Just my cell phone because my megacorp has a phone plan and hardware subsidy perk that refeshes every couple of years. Looking to upgrade the cell phone late this year and hoping they don't ask me to pay back the subsidy when I leave early next year.
That's pretty ballsy, but has me wondering if I should do same LOL.
Escapevelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #131
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Having a conversation in the next few weeks with the co-owners of my business. Dropping the '22 bomb.. that is, that I am getting close to the finish line. Hopefully it's a positive meeting. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

400 days to go, but who is counting?

My work signoff will be, "Thanks, but I've had enough."
beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutzbob View Post
400 days to go, but who is counting?

My work signoff will be, "Thanks, but I've had enough."
Guilty! 339 days to go
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:13 AM   #134
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

We pulled the plug two years ago. Now we’re upgrading stuff. The market increased our portfolio double my former annual salary in the last 4 months.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapevelocity View Post
I'm fantasizing about the idea of returning home from a vacation and still being on vacation
Same! I can't wait to not care how long the trip is because I have to carefully dole out my vacation days through the year, not have to work twice as hard the two weeks prior to the vacation, and catch up for a week after returning. Or have to worry about checking in during.

I CAN'T WAIT.

I can't do a days countdown because that number feels too large so I am counting down months. 11 months to go
Old 04-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm using the group legal plan this year to make updates to my living trust. Gotta use those perks this year!
Old 04-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Having a conversation in the next few weeks with the co-owners of my business. Dropping the '22 bomb.. that is, that I am getting close to the finish line. Hopefully it's a positive meeting. Fingers crossed.
That should be a really exciting step. Makes it that much more real.
I'm still about 5 months away from having the first part of that conversation with my manager but am already thinking about how it would go.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:34 AM   #138
Dryer sheet aficionado

End of May 2022. Fed pension and supplement good to go. I'll be 53 with a 12 year old son. Looking forward to spending much more time with him and showing him the world instead of putting him in camps and care all summer.

TSP is strong and health is good but there have been issues. I think it's better to get busy living and enjoy the rest of the ride!
GTP2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:13 PM   #139

Planning on April 1, 2022 - I will be 53. Our bonus is paid out at the end of February so I had originally planned for March 15th but I like the thought of April Fool's day. Unfortunately for my employer, there are three or four people currently reporting to me that will also retire around then. We do give out packages (I am in HR) but not for us. Once the position is eliminated through a package it can never be filled again.

Widower so I collect on my late wife's SS at 60 and mine at 70. Oldest finished college this year, youngest will be a junior and married. Plus every calc says I can leave now and be fine (100% on Firecalc, 107 on Fidelity, etc). $1M in retirement (no pension), $550k in other investment, $550k house paid off (I will sell and right size). Feel it's time.

I have a countdown clock in my tracking spreadsheet of just work days (I took out holidays and vacation). 215!!! It feels so good to be able to at least tell someone besides my kids (who think I should just quit now).
Present Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #140

I'm planning on my last actual work day as 12/23/21 when my company heads into the Christmas break. I'll then run my banked vacation time thru mid-March to qualify for our 2021 Performance-based bonus. 8 months to go!
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote