Household income as a percentage of federal poverty line

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is from Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit (PTC), line 5.

Our 2022 tax return shows 203%. For 2023, it will be 220%.

DW is on ACA. Our 2023 income is $40,385, and we received the full federal subsidy. At what percentage, will we begin to see the impact of reducing the subsidy?

What do you mean that you received the "full federal subsidy"? How did you determine that? You subsidy is a combination of your income % and the second lowest cost silver plan in your area, so there isn't a standard or maximum subsidy account across the board for everyone.

To me getting the full subsidy would mean that your share of the premium would be $0 for any plan, including the most expensive gold plan available to you. Is that what you had in 2023?

This is from Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit (PTC), line 5.

Our 2022 tax return shows 203%. For 2023, it will be 220%.

DW is on ACA. Our 2023 income is $40,385, and we received the full federal subsidy. At what percentage, will we begin to see the impact of reducing the subsidy?

Are you asking...at what income dollar, as a percentage of the FPL, will you see your subsidy start to get smaller?

If so, it's sort of a sliding scale. There used to be a cliff around $65k where the subsidy ends, but now it goes higher, at least for the next couple of years.

So if your income goes from $40 to $60, it will be a (slightly?) smaller subsidy, but only the ACA sites can tell you specifically how much for your situation.

Our Ages - 70 & 65

2022 - 303% (DW on ACA) Only Income SS & Pensions + very small unqualified interest
2023 - 401% Income from SS & Pensions + Some Unqualified Interest income (Had to pay back $10k of ACA subsidy for DW :()
Estimated 2024 - >700% from SS +Pensions + All Unqualified Interest + Some Unqualified (IRA & MYGA) Interest, No Capital Draw down. No more manipulating Magi for ACA.

Last edited:
What do you mean that you received the "full federal subsidy"? How did you determine that? You subsidy is a combination of your income % and the second lowest cost silver plan in your area, so there isn't a standard or maximum subsidy account across the board for everyone.

To me getting the full subsidy would mean that your share of the premium would be $0 for any plan, including the most expensive gold plan available to you. Is that what you had in 2023?

Yes DW's monthly premium is $0.

I am on Medicare.

Our Ages - 70 & 65

2022 - 303% (DW on ACA) Only Income SS & Pensions + very small unqualified interest
2023 - 401% Income from SS & Pensions + Some Unqualified Interest income (Had to pay back $10k of ACA subsidy for DW :()
Estimated 2024 - >700% from SS +Pensions + All Unqualified Interest + Some Unqualified (IRA & MYGA) Interest, No Capital Draw down. No more manipulating Magi for ACA.

teej above thread responded 250%.

When yours were 303% in 2022, did you have much reduction on subsidy for DW?

teej above thread responded 250%.

When yours were 303% in 2022, did you have much reduction on subsidy for DW?

Yes, without looking at the forms, but from my spreadsheet, we only paid ~$83 a month average. The highest we paid for a given month was $134. DW did all the tests and other tricks one can do to get discounts with Florida Blue in Florida. Some months we paid $0. I think the non-discounted monthly premium was over $1000.

Again, these numbers are not exact, but an estimation based on my own personal spreadsheet.

So if your income goes from $40 to $60, it will be a (slightly?) smaller subsidy, but only the ACA sites can tell you specifically how much for your situation.

Aerides has it right - go to healthcare.gov and run a few different scenarios, changing your expected MAGI.

Back
Top Bottom