Cyber Wednesday, or is it Monday, or Black Friday?

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Retailers already get a jump on specials even before Thanksgiving!

We took advantage of Costco iTunes discounts which started last Saturday, and it turns out iTunes themselves are already offering a 10% bonus for adding funds. Today Amazon started a nice discount on the new AirPods Pro with much better shipping times than Apple is offering directly. We keep getting emails with other discounts from our usual online retailers.

So who needs to wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

Just more methods of shearing the sheep.

Unfortunately, Thursday evening is becoming a big shopping event. What ever happened to keeping the Sabboth, and holidays sacred ?

What's Thanksgiving? I thought it was now Cybertruck Thursday.

I suspect if the Pilgrims had access to Amazon they'd have ordered cranberry sauce from Amazon Pantry.

My son used to work in retail. He dreaded Black Friday, but it bothered him even more to have to work on Thanksgiving day. The worst was the people who came in and said they felt bad that he had to work on that day, so they decided to come in to support them, or they would thank him for coming in. He felt that if everyone would just stay away, the stores wouldn't be making money and wouldn't open on Thanksgiving.

I don't recall there being anything in the bible about Thanksgiving.

You nailed it. A pagan event conjured by witches and warlocks.

Washington, D.C.
October 3, 1863
By the President of the United States of America.
A Proclamation.
The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.
Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty-eighth.
By the President: Abraham Lincoln

My son used to work in retail. He dreaded Black Friday, but it bothered him even more to have to work on Thanksgiving day. The worst was the people who came in and said they felt bad that he had to work on that day, so they decided to come in to support them, or they would thank him for coming in. He felt that if everyone would just stay away, the stores wouldn't be making money and wouldn't open on Thanksgiving.

I know, right?? I have always refused to do to any shopping on Thanksgiving Day or Black Friday. I usually have family visiting from out of town, so we want to spend time together anyway. If not, it's a nice lazy day at home, picking at leftovers. :)

I have seen the Zombie Apocalypse and it's not pretty

It's been 15 years since I ventured out of my yard on Black Friday. It was a madhouse. Never again.

This year with thanksgiving falling so late, it shrinks the shopping season, so retailers are going even more nuts to make up that gap.

I have yet to meet my goal of doing zero in person B&M gift shopping, but I try and get better each year!

You nailed it. A pagan event conjured by witches and warlocks.

Washington, D.C.
October 3, 1863
By the President of the United States of America.
A Proclamation.
The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.
Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the Eighty-eighth.
By the President: Abraham Lincoln

There was a lot of religious revivalism in the Civil War, especially among both armies. I guess all that killing stirred the soul.

No, nothing about Thanksgiving in the Bible, but just common human decency has been over run by corporate greed.

Corporate greed? As posted earlier, w/o the public, these corporations couldn't pull it off. How about "the greed of some people"?

I don't let this commercialization get to me. I just don't partake. I let it roll off my back (which I'm not normally any good at, but I refuse to let this ruin my Holidays).

-ERD50

Dunno about retail, but most tradespeople make double time for working holidays. My dad used to welcome the overtime. He called it Christmas money!

And when I was a watch officer below GS-13 grade, I earned double pay on holidays. We just agreed to celebrate the holiday on a different day.

Last edited:
I am always interested to see how many of the items on sale on Thanksgving/Black Friday/Cyber Whenever end up on Ebay, from folks trying to resell them and make a profit.

Who is being sheared? I feel like I have the shears!
All who buy stuff they don't need, and th the stuff bought as gifts ending up as re-gifts or attic/basement stuffers.

Can save more than 100% by not buying stuff.:D

Who is being sheared? I feel like I have the shears!

Yes indeed. Good opportunities for folks that plan their purchases and wait for the best moment to buy. In addition, most of us have a fair chunk of change invested in US equities, and we all benefit from all this buyin’ and stuff.

So, keep the stores open and spend away ...

[mod edit]

He should pick a different profession.

I have spent the last 30 years working my fare share of holidays. Hospitals don’t close and babies keep coming. Last year and this year I volunteered to work Thanksgiving,Christmas,and New Years since I can’t get time off to go home.

I have never participated in Black Friday or Cyber Monday. The crowds alone keep me away. I did do a little online shopping today at Amazon and Ulta with no great savings in my book.

Last weekend my DH and I attempted to go to the SF outlet mall but after driving around for 15 minutes and not finding parking we gave up and left. We didn’t have a plan to buy anything so it wasn’t worth the headache.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole thing is a ruse. Products are on sale throughout the year and I have yet to find any worthwhile price reduction that I couldn't find on line at another time. Many things on a Black Friday sale are often to get rid of an item that is soon to be replaced by a newer version.

What was that famous quote from PT Barnum?

Cheers!

As of about three years ago, we get Black Friday in Europe now. :rolleyes: I don't know if it's a fashion thing, or if it's just being pushed by lazy executives at US-based multinationals who like the world to look the same everywhere.

It tends to be untranslated (i.e., what's on the poster not "vendredi noir", but "Black Friday"). Almost nobody has a clue what it means because we don't have Thanksgiving and we get plenty of vacation time, so we don't need a semi-holiday to do our shopping. In fact since not many Europeans go shopping on a Friday, "Black Friday" typically extends over 4 or 7 days, and some chains call it "Black days".

The whole thing is a ruse. Products are on sale throughout the year and I have yet to find any worthwhile price reduction that I couldn't find on line at another time. Many things on a Black Friday sale are often to get rid of an item that is soon to be replaced by a newer version.

I don't know about other items, but I've been looking for a highly rated all in one color wifi printer for many months. The Black Friday prices are significantly lower than anything else I've seen in the past half year. So while I don't buy stuff just because it's on sale, I can't agree with your premise. If you are looking for a particular item, Black Friday has some value. Online, of course. I'd rather pay higher prices than get out into the B&M world this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom