Amazon is *slow* without Prime

Reply to ERD50
I suppose you see that as a fact and not as an insult.

He admitted he didn't care.
He wrote that all he cared about was whether the 10 days Amazon said initially was met.

Again, missing my point.

Why is it 10 calendar days for delivery?

The items - two of them- were all in stock.
All fulfilled by Amazon.

That was experiment.
It was my test for Amazon.
And they failed.

You don't have an inquiring mind.
I do.

I care that the 10 calendar days was deliberately manipulated.
It was artificial.

Re the bolded statement to ERD50: :2funny: Of all the people to say that about :LOL: (To ERD: :flowers:)

He admitted he didn't care.
He wrote that all he cared about was whether the 10 days Amazon said initially was met.
That doesn't mean he doesn't have an inquiring mind, he just doesn't happen to empathize with your specific case.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have an inquiring mind, he just doesn't happen to empathize with your specific case.

He didn't care about the 10 days.
It either was met or wasn't.
That's what he wrote.
Was that a lie?

Again, missing my point.

Why is it 10 calendar days for delivery?

The items - two of them- were all in stock.
All fulfilled by Amazon.

That was experiment.
It was my test for Amazon.
And they failed.

You don't have an inquiring mind.
I do.

I care that the 10 calendar days was deliberately manipulated.
It was artificial.

Yes, I am missing your point, and I'm not the only one (actually, I'm not sure if anyone is 'getting' your point?).

And again, your assumptions about people are wrong, I have a very inquiring mind. Maybe your assumption about Amazon's reasons are just as wrong?

Nope, still not getting why this is such a problem for you.

It isn't a "problem".

It is a record of the facts as it happened to me.
It is a heads-up to other Amazon customers.

You have data. But as I said before, you cannot determine the reasons behind that data from that data.

Until you make yourself clear, I'm (finally, long overdue) over & out!

PS - I missed posts 102 on as I wrote this, but that's OK, it all circular so I'm still "over & out!"

Sigh, I just saw your response, and I am weak... - So Amazon is slow without Prime? That's your point:confused:??!!!!!! Stop the presses! Amazon advertises faster shipping to Prime customers, and Amazon keeps their delivery promises to non-Prime customers! On second thought, not a very compelling headline, is it?

-ERD50

Last edited:
You have data. But as I said before, you cannot determine the reasons behind that data from that data.

I am drawing my own conclusion about that data.
And again, that conclusion is that the shipment time is being deliberately manipulated.

May I remind you that the subject line Amazon is *slow* without Prime.
And it is slow.

Last edited:
I don't see this discussion as a complaint about Amazon. It is also not about Amazon not holding up their side of the purchase agreement by delivering near the last day promised. I see it as simply an observation, comparing Amazon to other online suppliers shipping habits. Other suppliers seem to ship within a business day or two from the day of order. Depending on the distance or how many handoffs that have to be done, they estimate the delivery within "n" days. It appears that Amazon does things differently. They don't use the cheapest shipping method. It appears that they calculate how long they can delay shipment and still get the package to the customer in the time promised. Routinely I got packages from Amazon at, or near the promised date.

From another vendor, I at least have the hope of receiving the package earlier than promised. Especially when I am close to the ship-from location. With Amazon, they seem to manipulate the shipping day to me to align with the latest promised date so that hope is nonexistent. Again, not a complaint, just an observation.

I'm not unfamiliar with the process. I have managed many engineering projects where the schedule was built based on the promise date. If I got to a point in the schedule where it appears that I might beat that date, I tell nobody. This way the project does not get the delivery date moved in. It also gives me some leeway to make up for unexpected delays later on. It also allows me to spend a bit of more time to be more confident in a given critical milestone before the next dependency starts. With Amazon, they have the process down so well that they delay the process and use that time for :confused::confused: I don't buy that their shipping dept is so busy that the non-prime orders just get pushed to the back of the priority list. They always shipped to me at the last possible moment . IT can't be that coincidental. It is only supposition on my part about the reasoning why they delay. And it appears that I am not alone. A Google search shows many people have the same thoughts.

It is purely conjecture on my part that Amazon has negotiated such low pricing from UPS, FedEx and others that 2 day or 10 day transport is virtually the same. I do know that in a previous life, the company I worked for got cheaper pricing from FedEx on 2 day delivery than their "Ground" service . And we were nowhere close to the size of Amazon.

Full disclosure: After many years of non-prime purchasing, I have joined the Prime family. Yes for the free shipping but also for the Amazon online video programming.

Only a tangent to this rather trivial (IMHO) thread, but I'm reminded of a situation I observed many years ago.

Not naming names, but a small company I was familiar with was a supplier of an industrial commodity product to a much larger company. They had a contract to provide the product at a 97.8% purity level.

Well, they improved their internal processes to the point that they were able to produce it at 99.8% purity most of the time, and they were very proud of themselves, so they bragged about it to their customer.

Customer went ballistic and demanded that they deliberately introduce adulterants to bring it back down to the contracted 97.8%. They were much more about consistency, and the thought of batch-to-batch variance was abhorrent to them. :facepalm:

Summary non-Prime
=============

6/7 - order date
Thursday 6/8 - not shipped
Friday 6/9 - not shipped
Saturday
Sunday
Monday 6/12 - not shipped
Tuesday 6/13 - not shipped
Wednesday 6/14 - not shipped
Thursday 6/15 - shipped at 11 pm from NJ warehouse
Friday 6/16 - delivered by USPS (United States Postal Service) to Staten Island,
NY
Staten Island is a borough of New York City
Staten Island is 1 hour from Amazon NJ warehouses

Hey, I love Amazon but I also order from Walmart dot com, bestbuy dot com, and numerous other websites that deliver. Would that work for you? Let competition solve the problem, smile and be happy that you are giving your money to an organization that YOU feel is the best at what they do. There is no reason to ever give Amazon a second thought.

Life is so short!!! I don't want to be trite, but this song really has some great advice:

Actually, I am late to the game.
There have been threads about this going back 3-4 years on Amazon's own message boards that people that believe as I do and have observed this delay tactic.

Hey, I love Amazon but I also order from Walmart dot com, bestbuy dot com, and numerous other websites that deliver. Would that work for you? Let competition solve the problem, smile and be happy that you are giving your money to an organization that YOU feel is the best at what they do. There is no reason to ever give Amazon a second thought.

Life is so short!!! I don't want to be trite, but this song really has some great advice:

Many of the posts on this forum are "trite", and you are singling out mine ? ? ?

Many of the posts on this forum are "trite", and you are singling out mine ? ? ?

WHOA.... big misunderstanding? I used the word "trite", but I used it referring to the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" song I linked to.

WHOA.... big misunderstanding? I used the word "trite", but I used it referring to the "Don't Worry, Be Happy" song I linked to.

I am sorry if I mis-interpreted.

I get the impression from many of the replies here that my thread is considered to be trite. Sad that my observations is trivialized.

I am sorry if I mis-interpreted.

I get the impression from many of the replies here that my thread is considered to be trite. Sad that my observations is trivialized.

I don't see that happening, but I might if it was my thread and if I was upset. Maybe it's a good time to take a break from the forums for an hour or two? :) We all get "forum fatigue" now and then.

Broadway... If it makes you feel any better (but I doubt it will) - my last order from LandsEnd dot com had a similar experience... The shipping was listed as 10-14 days. There was order tracking on the website. It didn't ship till day 12.

No amazon involved. No prime involved. No motives assumed... I assume there was a backlog of orders and they were filling them as fast as they could.

I think the issue that people are having with your OP is that you are ASSUMING motives on Amazon's part... but there is no evidence AND there was no harm done to you... you received your order in the promised time.

By all means, stop ordering from Amazon... it will help your stress levels. I stopped ordering from Bestbuy dot com years ago because of their errors and horrible customer service... now I don't stress about bestbuy because I don't deal with them.

I think the issue that people are having with your OP is that you are ASSUMING motives on Amazon's part... but there is no evidence AND there was no harm done to you... you received your order in the promised time.

Why can't I make assumptions or opinions?
Isn't this a message board for discussion?

I see plenty of those with assumptions/opinions here on this message board too.
I see plenty of posts here where there was "no harm done to you".
I don't see posts trivializing them as I have encountered here.

If this was a message board for only facts this message board would look mighty different.

Last edited:
You can make assumptions. I do all the time. But I'm prepared for alternate theories and ideas.

I didn't see anyone trivializing your post - just questioning it. Although there was a lot of pushback when you accused members of being duped, drinking koolaid, and otherwise being lesser, if they disagreed with you. Breathe in. Breathe out. You have made it clear what your issue is. There were some folks who agreed with you, and many who didn't. It's all good.

Time to move on to other issues. How about something less controversal... Like whether it's good to have a mortgage, or if I should pay it off. LOL.

I didn't see anyone trivializing your post - just questioning it. Although there was a lot of pushback when you accused members of being duped, drinking koolaid, and otherwise being lesser, if they disagreed with you.

No, those members here who happened to be Prime members took offense.
I can't help it if they are defensive!

Back
Top Bottom