Day 3 of the rest or my life

getoutearly

Recycles dryer sheets
Well, I'm over the hump day in my first week of freedom. It is A M A Z I N G. I thought it would take a while to get into the retirement mentality, and that it would just feel like a regular vacation at first. But I'm thinking I may already be there. Everything seems lighter, fresher. Haven't once thought of the poor smucks back at the office, except to smile somewhat smugly. Doesn't hurt that we are having probably the nicest weather of the year so far.

Have my list of things I wanted to do, and I'm doing each one at my own pace, instead of the normal, "oh crap, I've only got till Monday morning to get all of this stuff done". And, I haven't even started back playing golf or fishing yet. I'm afraid once I start that, I won't have enough time in the day to do everything I wanted to!

Life is good.

Way to adjust to wonderful retirement! People often ask me, "Do you miss teaching at the university." I tell them, "I don't know. I never think about it."

Well, I'm over the hump day in my first week of freedom. It is A M A Z I N G. I thought it would take a while to get into the retirement mentality, and that it would just feel like a regular vacation at first. But I'm thinking I may already be there.
And, I haven't even started back playing golf or fishing yet. I'm afraid once I start that, I won't have enough time in the day to do everything I wanted to!
So, before you ER'd, were you worried about how you'd figure out what to do all day?

My "goals" list used to be broken down into weeks, months, & years. A couple years ago I tweaked the timeline to months, years, & decades...

I thought it would take a while to get into the retirement mentality, and that it would just feel like a regular vacation at first. But I'm thinking I may already be there.

Congratulations! You may find it hard to believe, but it will get even better.

Have my list of things I wanted to do, and I'm doing each one at my own pace, instead of the normal, "oh crap, I've only got till Monday morning to get all of this stuff done". And, I haven't even started back playing golf or fishing yet. I'm afraid once I start that, I won't have enough time in the day to do everything I wanted to!

Life is good.

Ya, its tough fitting in all the sleeping in, staying up late, making a leisurely breakfast, watch or reading a little news, working on my Jeep, going fishing, going on little adventures with the wife, watching my son play football, sitting on the deck smoking cigars, blogging, Facebooking and surfing the web, playing my guitar and writing long posts on retirement forums. Whew, I am tired just thinking about it.

Luckily, us retirees have the rest of our lives to try and fit it all in. It's tough, but someone's got to do it.:D

I ER September 30, 2006. Your experience is the same as mine; the weather was outstanding and we enjoyed every day until the snow starting flying. Every day is filled with possibilities. It won't be long until you wonder how you ever fit work into your schedule. For 44 years I used to hate Mondays; now Monday is my favorite day because I have the entire week ahead. Enjoy yourself!!

Ya, its tough fitting in all the sleeping in, staying up late, making a leisurely breakfast, watch or reading a little news, working on my Jeep, going fishing, going on little adventures with the wife, watching my son play football, sitting on the deck smoking cigars, blogging, Facebooking and surfing the web, playing my guitar and writing long posts on retirement forums. Whew, I am tired just thinking about it.

Luckily, us retirees have the rest of our lives to try and fit it all in. It's tough, but someone's got to do it.:D
Yes, but even the bliss of never-ending leisure imposes some discipline, since if you want it to go on for a time, you'll want to cut out the cigars (risk factor for heart disease and various cancers) and watch what you have for those leisurely breakfasts (sausage? eggs? No, no).

Congrats and I am definately envious! I am 43 and hoping to FIRE at age 50. My projections look like 52 is more realistic though (cost of education for my daughter and market collapse have been the monkey wrenches in the original plan). I can't wait to no longer work as I really have grown to dislike megacorp living but I guess I can endure for 7-9 more years.

Life is good.

You're making better progress on your list than I am. I have been retired for almost a year, and I really haven't started on anything on my list. I think I have retired my retirement list. :LOL:

Life is SO good. :D

I must admit that during the first weeks of ER it was nice to have the list, even if I didn't use it. The list functioned like a security blanket for me.

I suggest you have a VO Manhatten like I am right now,and you really need to slow down with the lists.
Old Mike

I have been retired for almost a year, and I really haven't started on anything on my list.

You've been working tirelessly on getting your house ready for sale! All those trips to Salvation Army! It's no wonder you have not started on anything on your list, putting the house on the market was an item on that list?

Have a great day in ER!

No, it really wasn't on my list! :LOL: I'm not sure why not, but it wasn't. We had decided to wait before selling to see if the market went up. But then, we changed our minds about that recently.

My list had things on it like birdwatching, writing a book, regaining my modest skills on piano and guitar, growing roses, and so on. I had about two dozen interests on my list but haven't really had time for them.

Back
Top Bottom