Did you get rid of your "work clothes"?

I gained too much weight to get into my pre-2000 work clothes and these are hanging in a closet. The better ones will be given to Goodwill although probably out of style by now.

As a female I have more options so in the early 2000s, I started to buy versatile pieces that could be worn in a professional or casual setting. "The System" consisted of 8-12 garments in high quality fabrics (organic cotton, jersey, wool blends) and simple silhouettes that could be mixed and matched into a polished look. Mostly black, gray, navy, or taupe pants with a soft jacket/cardigan and shell with a pop of color. Probably boring but very comfortable.

Two or three years out from retirement, I started to wear the same ensembles over and over and buy only essential replacements. Now retired, I wear them to evening or dressy daytime events.

Yes, for the most part. At first, I kept some of my nice suits, but as time goes by I have gotten rid of almost all of them. The few things that might be left in my closet are forgotten and never worn. I like jeans, stretchy cotton clothes, and yoga clothes. I have a few nice outfits for when I got out with friends or family. Oh, and all of the work footwear is gone!!

Thanks to this thread, I took all corp wear but one favorite suit and one gorgeous jacket of exceptional quality to charity today. (I still do some public speaking.)

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, I got rid of all my dressy business/casual clothes I had for work. I got rid of some within the first 6 months after quitting, but over the following year, I started losing weight and after 2 years, I'd lost over 130 pounds so saving any of them after that point was laughable.

I have maybe 6 causal/dressy dresses now and no slacks or business casual at all. Just the dresses, some jeans/tees, and a good amount of workout gear. I may wear yoga pants a whole lot, but I am actually doing yoga in them now. :D

Amazing how much easier it was to get healthy once I quit that @#$! of a job.

None fit. Well I did find a suit from the 1980s that did. However my last white dress shirt's had an 18" neck, I looked pretty silly in them after losing 2.5" in my neck.

I've got a pile of jackets, shirts, and dress pants that I'm taking to the dry cleaners so I can donate them to the thrift shop. Happily, they don't fit anymore.

My w*rk clothes were jeans and the florescent striped shirts; still wear them in the yard and rental properties.

I wore ties to 8 years of grade school and 4 years in high school, so we would look "professional" when we got older. No ties allowed in a coal mine, but still professional. I have about 10 custom made suits from over the years, I'm a big guy. When I can get a Hickey Freeman at a great price, I'll purchase. Just bought a custom tux for a wedding, and another suit came with it, BOGO, blow that dough , I guess. I told DW she can bury me in the tux... unless it fits the pool boy.

Yes, I have only bought new work items a couple of times, all for replacements, in the past couple of years. But I suddenly woke up to the fact I have some wool pants, though washable, and this is my last winter of working. Been wearing the heck out of navy wool pants/ black wool pants/ navy / black. It's all I plan to wear for the next month. They do require ironing though.

Hah! I did the same thing with the onset, sorta, of spring. Each day is a step closer to full liberation from all the shackles of the professional career.

Yes, I got rid of all my dressy business/casual clothes I had for work. I got rid of some within the first 6 months after quitting, but over the following year, I started losing weight and after 2 years, I'd lost over 130 pounds so saving any of them after that point was laughable.

I have maybe 6 causal/dressy dresses now and no slacks or business casual at all. Just the dresses, some jeans/tees, and a good amount of workout gear. I may wear yoga pants a whole lot, but I am actually doing yoga in them now. :D

Amazing how much easier it was to get healthy once I quit that @#$! of a job.

Wow, what an inspiration!

I will donate everything that is dated, so far my few suits have lasted me 10yrs into IT. I remember when I had my first "Christmas party" and I was all worried about finding a suit. I dropped a pretty penny on it, but realized quickly it was the tailor that you want to spend money on, not the material.

I own a couple nice grey Italian suits, white collar shirt and some nice ties. Now work is jeans and polo. And some hawaiin dress shirts lol.

When I worked in the pacific on an island, I would head to work after dawn patrol in flip flops and swim trunks. It was fun watching "mainlander" execs come and try and fit in with suits. By the end of the first day they they were at the mall buying proper tropical attire.

I don't dress like management, because it's not something I desire. I do enough babysitting in trenches.

Basically, just a few key pieces which would cover weddings/funerals, charity events, and maybe a mixer that calls for 'business casual', the rest went. I actually had to put on dress slacks the other day and had to remember where I put them.

I gave it all to organizations that specialize in clothes to help people get back into the workplace.

I gave away most of my suits and business attire, but kept a few nice pants and jackets to wear for my university volunteer work. Also kept a few dresses that can double as business attire or wedding/funeral attire.

I haven’t missed any of it and will probably give even more away once I’m retired a bit longer (16 months so far).

One thing I need more of is clothes that are good for travel - lightweight, don’t wrinkle and coordinate with each other. I bought several pairs of walking sandals but need some more athletic shoes. Mainly what I wear most days are gym pants or shorts, an exercise shirt or tank top, and athletic shoes.

I donated most of my suits to the Salvation Army. I kept a few for special occasions. Our company had a business casual dress code unless we had meetings with customers. My wife, who was a RN OR/Surgical kept her scrubs. She claims it was hard to find scrubs for tall and slim women.

I am still working, but only need business casual attire. I have one black suit that fits me for weddings and funerals and two very lightly worn suits and a sport coat that do not fit anymore. I guess I just need to donate them to the mission, but it's hard to let go of clothes that were expensive to purchase. I have visions of selling the sport coat on eBay, as well as a few other things around the house as one of retirement activities, but who knows. Like others have said, I am wearing out my current office clothes and will only replace what is absolutely necessary.

From a wife’s perspective... how to convince husband to get rid of suits that haven’t been worn to work since 1997 and never will be worn again. What are the magic words, need some Jedi mind games please

From a wife’s perspective... how to convince husband to get rid of suits that haven’t been worn to work since 1997 and never will be worn again. What are the magic words, need some Jedi mind games please
STEALTH PURGING:angel:
My DW had a bunch of clothes that were moved to my closet 10 years ago and never worn. One day while she was napping, I filled 2 boxes. One I gave to Goodwill, the other to Salvation Army:dance:

I turned every hanger in my husbands closet backwards, and tacked a note to the wall in his closet the day I did it. A year later (actually it was 18 months because i forgot about it) I went in his closet and pointed out that he had worn none of those things for 18 months. Most of them he admitted he wasn't going to wear them again. A few others he seemed reluctant to part with. I threw out the first group, the second group I put back (hangers still backwards) a year later I threw those out without asking. That was more than 2 years ago and he has not noticed.

For myself- I have not retired (yet but i'm getting close) I find myself buying clothes that could do double duty- I can wear them to work, but they will also work with jeans etc. And I've been reluctant to replace expensive work shoes I know I'll never wear anywhere else. I have lots, I just throw out the worn ones and don't buy new.

Back
Top Bottom