Did you get rid of your "work clothes"?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If not, how many did you keep? I am not yet retired but we did change dress code a few years back and thinking I should start discarding the old ones.

h
If not, how many did you keep? I am not yet retired but we did change dress code a few years back and thinking I should start discarding the old ones.

Yes, in 1998.

I worked East Coast culture from 1985 to 1998.

Once I visited West Coast culture (Engineering/It) in 1999 where they wore shorts, flip flops, face tattoos and nose rings, I threw away my old dress code crap. Now I wear shorts to work. I still don't have a nose ring. :)

Anyway, I'm done with suits, ties and all that crap. I have one pair for funerals and weddings. Sorry for the repeats. Maybe you can keep two iterations and not repeat as much as me. Otherwise, Your Favorite Local Good Charity is your friend. Get rid of all that stuff.

Last edited:
Kept one suit and my good overcoat. Haven’t worn either one since. Did wear the one “slacks and a shirt” a couple of times. Course I’m at the lake a lot.

Still working. Sort of.
I went to golf shirts, shorts in 1996. After I shower. Which might be as late as 1600.
My wife made me buy a suit for our daughter’s first wedding. Hopefully, there will not be a second.
Have not had an overcoat since 1980 when I moved to Colorado.

Yes. Just did some purging. I think I have more to go, but I kept 1 suit (gray), a couple sport coats and coordinating slacks, a few dress shirts. If I don't wear any of them in a year, I'll pair down to 1 suit, 1 sport coat and 1 dress slack.

I still need to get rid of my dress shoes. I'll keep a black dress shoe and a burgundy pair of penny loafers (casual dress), and a couple shirts.

I ended up with about 1/3 of my closet being clear. I'm probably going to put some shelves in a couple of the compartments the used to be for hanging. My jeans and short pants don't need to be hung up.

I sent all of my suits, dress shirts, ties, cuff links etc to charity. Lost a fair amount of weight after retirement, downsized our home, moved. All provided the impetus. I still have a few pairs of dress shoes that will soon be going. They are like new. I kept one suit for weddings and funerals.

Hehe, good question!

We had a choice. We could wear a dress shirt & tie or we could wear (at our expense) a knit pullover with the company logo. I bought a lot of knit logos.

And when I retired I tossed them all inna trash where they belong - :)

I still have a few pairs of green pj's in my closet. They are great for painting in and are quite comfortable and light. And they wash up very well.

I had about 20-25 suits. A few years before I early retired the company went to full-time business casual.

I donated about half the suits a year or so before I retired. The rest got donated about 2 years into retirement. Haven't needed 'em, haven't missed 'em. :D

omni

I still have a few pairs of green pj's in my closet. They are great for painting in and are quite comfortable and light. And they wash up very well.

Your work clothes were pj's. Career telecommuter or....?

I have one suit, a blazer, and a couple of dress shirts and ties for Formal Nights on a cruise. That's it.
I read a book recently, where the author wrote," he was attired in the retired style-T shirt, shorts, and flip flops". And I said, that's me"
I donated all my dress shirts and ties to Goodwill

I got rid of the formal clothing that I wore to various more formal work functions like meetings, conferences, presentations, and so on. I kept one simple black dress for funerals.

My business casual clothes were polo shirts and long pants, and they are stuffed in the back of a closet. I almost never wear any of them. But, they do come in handy once in a long while. I should probably get rid of 90% of them. This is my 9th year of retirement so it's past time to do that.

Now that I am retired, I wear "retiree sloppy" clothes like shorts and t-shirts.

Last edited:
When I last worked, I wore pants, polo shirts if not long-sleeve, and leather loafers. Dress code at work never allowed t-shirt, shorts, or sneakers.

Now, my daily clothes are shorts and t-shirts around the house. Pants and polo shirts when I run errands, with sandals or boat shoes.

Still have all my formal clothes. For my daughter's wedding 2 years ago, I bought a tux. Felt like splurging then, so also bought a new suit, which I have not worn yet. Still keep all my ties, cuff links, and dress shirts.

Got 4 pairs of Oxford and wingtip shoes like new in the closet. Just recently, polished and reconditioned 4 pairs of slip-on black leather shoes, which I used to wear to work. Reason: they are for occasions when dress shoes are too much, and sandals are too casual.

Last edited:
I kept my long sleeved, primarily white and blue, dress work shirts. They're still my work shirts, only now it's when I work in the yard. 100% cotton, very light and breathable, yet provide good sun and bush/branch protection. Plus they're very stylish.

Still have much of my business clothes. Will get rid of most of them. Just haven't done it yet.

I kept one dental smock, I wish I'd kept maybe a couple more. They work great for house painting, or sealing a driveway. Lightweight, cover the arms.
I never wore a suit to work. Never wore a tie either.
When I graduated from school my dad graciously bought me a suit that I needed for a pal's wedding. The next suit I bought was for my daughter's wedding.

DW decluttered my work clothes, but I still have about 7 pairs of pants and 7 shirts that I haven’t worn in more than 5 years.

After leaving work I kept a couple of suits and gave the rest away. Most of the ties are still hanging in the closet.

I keep thinking I will wear those Khakis and button down shirts in the closet - i do put on the old business casual uniform about 10 times a year - I did get rid of same color shirts - yes I did have 4 blue shirts! I have 3 suits - barely worn - my only tip is to update your tie for family events - buy a new one - or go tieless - the current trend

first job was business casual (5 years). After that it was mostly jeans and a T-shirt. I did have a suit for special needs like depositions. Still have it. I might be useful for formal night on a cruise if we do that again.

Not sure why I would get rid of a pair of jeans. I would relegate them to non-work when they got patched.

I have some of the shirts and pull overs with logo's on them that I still wear. I had so many and I have been wearing them doing work on the ranch for every day outdoor activities.

When my old company got rid of its formal dress code n 1998, my good jackets and button-down shirts and dress pants stayed in the closet. After that time, even though I was still working for the next 10 years, I gained some weight so most of them, mainly the pants, didn't fit. Replacement pants were less formal and I washed them myself instead of the more difficult and costlier dry-cleaning. I still wore the dress shits sometimes to my square dance groups because they required button-down shirts, and I hadn't yet acquired enough western-style shirts. And I kept the jackets for the rare wedding or funeral or wake I attended.

In 2008, just before I ERed, I donated a lot of the old clothes I hadn't worn in the last 10 years including stuff which didn't fit. That freed up some closet and drawer space. And last year, to take advantage of being able to get a charitable tax deduction (for the last time), I did another purge of old clothes. It also followed a recent collapse of a clothing rack due to the weight of the clothes hanging on it.

I could probably get rid of some more clothes, but I have ample storage space with nothing in danger of collapsing any more.

Back
Top Bottom