Did you go BACK to work? What was your decision process?

I am late 50s and hubby still works (mid 60s). I have been retired for just over a year. It was not my choice. Now my former employer has given me an offer for a temporary part time gig that will last until the end of the year (at least). The hours are 25-30 a week. I would prefer 8-16. :)

I have grown to like retirement and a very slow pace. I'm not sure how I will be able to adapt. It has been tough to get the stuff I need to done, but that could be due to a touch of depression.

Anyone have experience with this? What was your thought process. I need to give them an answer next week. The money is good, but the social aspect and mental challenge are more attractive to me.

TIA!

This may be worth looking into and possibly discussing with your doctor.(bold section added)
Can you find ways of getting some social/mental challenges outside of work?
If not, you can always return to work, and if not what you want, re retire!

I was asked to come back, did one shift and said "no way". I enjoy my "me" time too much.

I'm having problem getting things done too, mostly due to laziness and not depression.

Did you go BACK to work? What was your decision process?

NO.

My decision process was just like deciding not to jump out of a 20 story building. It was completely and totally non-negotiable.

When I announced my planned retirement date, management asked me about consulting. I told them that our agency didn't have enough money in the budget for that. Once they asked me a few times, they realized I was serious.

Haven't regretted that decision for even an instant, so far, since 2009 when I retired.

I didn't go back to work, but I did a couple of minor consulting gigs in the last 3 years. Maybe 100-120 work hours. Never again. Even a work commitment of an hour or two a week adversely impacts my fun time.

My husband did some consulting after retiring and it earned him nice money, but we realized we didn't charge enough. He was excited about getting to do some real technical work. He felt really proud that thanks to him, his law firm won't the case. Very satisfying work.

Yes, the three "D's" of retirement. Drugs/Alcohol, Depression, and Divorce. We need to watch for all three- they all statistically jump right after retirement.

Here's a fun podcast, if you enjoy Joe Kenda (Homicide Hunter). He talks about his retirement, then unretirement. After he retired again, he ended up making a ton of money in the last few years, from his TV work.

The metaphor that came to me was management saying to W2R, "You could continue to pull an oar and be regularly whipped, but it would only be a few hours a week!" :LOL:

Whereas for me it was more like, "You could come back and feel the wind in your face and the sound of the waves again, and this time no seagulls will be pooping on your head." :cool:

NO.

My decision process was just like deciding not to jump out of a 20 story building. It was completely and totally non-negotiable.

When I announced my planned retirement date, management asked me about consulting. I told them that our agency didn't have enough money in the budget for that. Once they asked me a few times, they realized I was serious.

Haven't regretted that decision for even an instant, so far, since 2009 when I retired.

I was asked to come back, did one shift and said "no way". I enjoy my "me" time too much.

Yup. Thats part of what I am afraid of. I love my 'me' time. Always did. Now that I have more of it - will be hard to cut it back. I have had some health issues that require me to avoid stress and pace myself with "down" days. While I don't think I am depressed, I am wondering if having something I am excited about, I would look forward to it and have more energy. Maybe not though...

I'm having problem getting things done too, mostly due to laziness and not depression.

Good point and could be my problem :LOL:. I recall a retiree I know telling me before I left work "you aren't going to get even half the things done that you think you will".

The metaphor that came to me was management saying to W2R, "You could continue to pull an oar and be regularly whipped, but it would only be a few hours a week!" :LOL:

Whereas for me it was more like, "You could come back and feel the wind in your face and the sound of the waves again, and this time no seagulls will be pooping on your head." :cool:

:ROFLMAO: So true!

My management tried to make it sound appealing, and offered me some perks but I just wasn't in the right mindset for it.

I didn't go back to work, but I did a couple of minor consulting gigs in the last 3 years. Maybe 100-120 work hours. Never again. Even a work commitment of an hour or two a week adversely impacts my fun time.

Yup.. concerned this could happen for me too. I have done some work for our church and sometimes resent the commitment.

Yes.. wondering what it would be like just being the 'hired help' and not having to worry about hitting specific performance "goals" and dealing with the BS. Like someone up the chain making a dumb decision. I'm just there for the fun and money. :blush:

Yes.. wondering what it would be like just being the 'hired help' and not having to worry about hitting specific performance "goals" and dealing with the BS. Like someone up the chain making a dumb decision. I'm just there for the fun and money. :blush:

I have been the "hired help" in several jobs recently.
I was never invited to the meetings. I guess they were afraid I would know to much or something. I didn't care. Just show me the money. :)
I want to be paid for every minute I worked. Total BS to the exempt status.

I have a solo-401(k) set up.

I am curious.. why are some suggesting the pay should be 1.5 to 2x previous salary? I have only been gone about a year.

Because you have to cover the benefits. Your previous hourly wage didn't include your benefits yet.

I am curious.. why are some suggesting the pay should be 1.5 to 2x previous salary? I have only been gone about a year.
We're not suggesting this is about how long you've been out of the job.

While you worked there, it cost the entity a certain rate to fund your benefits, paid time off, Healthcare, Pension, bosses, etc. Some call it a loaded rate. The load factor varies from company to company, state to state, etc. I suggested 1.5x your old rate. Others suggest more or less.

If you go back to a job, for the same rate, the employer saves quite a bit from hiring, training, and paying benefits for a new employee.

If the work can be performed easily, then you may have no negotiating room. Let's say the county paid you a rate far above the normal for this job, $50. They can, maybe, bring in someone temporarily for $18 and get the work done.

In the end, it is your choice. Companies do have strategies like this. You weigh the positives and negatives, and enjoy the outcome.

I have continued to do some consulting work since I retired in 2009. Mostly for friends that I made during my employed years and some for former megacorp. Pretty much all done from home (don't like to dress up) and all on an hourly basis. I charge a lot and that seems to scare away people who just want me to make intros for them.

At first it was probably more than 200 hrs per year. Now it is down to about 50 hours per year. Mostly expert witness work in court proceedings or arbitrations. More than 3/4th of the gigs settle out of court but I still get paid for depositions, report writing, etc.

To me it breaks up my normal routine a little. I don't actively solicit work but if it comes my way so be it! A little extra $$$ to blow is kind of nice too!

I suppose you could say DW and I went back to w*rk the summer after I retired. Someone we knew asked us if we wanted to drive cars for dealers. He made the arrangements and "old" folks did the driving. Our "big day" was the once/week trip to the car auction in which 10 to 15 drivers would drive old clunkers about 60 miles to the biggest auction house. A large van returned us to the dealer. Most times, we made two trips but occasionally it was three. We were paid by the mile and since we all returned together, there was no opportunity to earn a better "per hour" rate. It came out to about $6/hour - if that. We preferred the dealer repositioning j*b in which we would either take two cars and leave one or take one car and come back with two. It gave us some "together" time, allowed us to stop for a meal if we wanted, and we could up our hourly rate to as much as $7/hour if we hot-footed it both ways.

Well, it turned out the "old folks" were a real "clique" and we were not ever really accepted - young whippersnappers. There was more "politics" in the j*b than I had experience at Megacorp for 10 times the money. You had to keep up with the leader (even if your car would barely run), you had to be at the phone when it rang to get a repositioning assignment (or they called someone else), on and on. We lasted maybe 6 weeks and did enjoy some of it. Still, it was strictly an experiment to see if we were really retired, I suppose. We were. Haven't been tempted toward any such nonsense since! YMMV (literally.)

I responded that my maximum would be 16 hours. I really could not fit any more than that in and feel good about it. So for now I am still fully retired and have a new appreciation for it.

Major insurance company had an opportunity posted that involved providing roadside assistance to persons that belong to one of over 40 different roadside assistance services that they represent. They provided the training and the equipment and have an (Uber style) app that alerts me to the need and I can choose to accept of decline the job, if I log in that day, indicating that I am available. One of four services is provided - provide gas, change tire, jump start vehicle, unlock door. Best thing is they taught us how to break into cars and give us the equipment to do it :). They pay weekly approx $20 per service performed. I was attracted to the flexibility it provided and the training, the money was really just a side benefit. I try to help people all the time anyway (spent 37 years in the service business) so this just formalizes that effort. I suppose I get some satisfaction from being able to say I am self empl*yed or a small business operator. Been retired 3 years now and always assumed I would do something if interested me and didn't seem too much like w*rk.
The company is just beginning this service locally so they don't have the app functional yet but will soon. We'll see how it goes and how long the bloom stays on the rose.

Why is this such a great thing? Is it often called for? You make it sound like it could be of help in side ventures >:D

Best thing is they taught us how to break into cars and give us the equipment to do it :). .

After 2 years of retirement I got an email from a local university Prof. I know asking me to do some contract R&D for his small company. I've worked there about half time ever since. The rate is $100/hour so even if the work wasn't so enjoyable it would be hard to pass up.

Why is this such a great thing? Is it often called for? You make it sound like it could be of help in side ventures >:D

I am sure it is just fleshing out of a bad boy fantasy neverfully realized :fingerwag:

...and I had the experience of being with my niece when she locked her son in a hot car with the keys in it, and the anguish that we went through while waiting for the person to arrive with the equipment to get him out. I guess I like to be self sufficient in the event those unlikely events occur.

OMG - that WOULD be a good reason to learn that particular skill. I locked myself out of a car once and it was awful enough, without fearing for a child's life.

I am sure you would not have mentioned this incident if the outcome hadn't been good :flowers: Your poor niece.

...and I had the experience of being with my niece when she locked her son in a hot car with the keys in it, and the anguish that we went through while waiting for the person to arrive with the equipment to get him out. I guess I like to be self sufficient in the event those unlikely events occur.

Back
Top Bottom