Did you go BACK to work? What was your decision process?

I am curious.. why are some suggesting the pay should be 1.5 to 2x previous salary? I have only been gone about a year.

My answer: because you can?

Slightly longer: it is a negotiation. You are offering time, they are offering compensation (in all sorts of forms). What's your time worth to you and them?

If your time is worth more to you than they are willing to offer, there should be no deal. If there is common ground, why not get the most out of it?

.. and my own anecdote. I am FI for practical purposes, and did on and off stuff for the past few years. Sometimes six months without anything, then a few days or weeks of parttime consulting, that sort of thing. All those pants-optional days were nice. But I don't feel I am definitely done with getting out and about yet for a number of reasons: I could use a bit of structure, a place to vent my ideas (beyond this forum ;)), and there a number of interesting (to me) things that would be fun to work on with a small group of people.

Last year I started a venture - my involvement in that is now ending (and I didn't make any money from it). Was at 20% of my time the last few months, so pretty low stress to begin with.

Currently in discussions with a company to help start a new venture, this time I'll ask for a bit of compensation, and if it works out a decent equity portion too. The out of pocket number I asked for is silly low on purpose, my market value is about 5 times. We discussed going zero compensation even, but both parties decided that is not really a smart thing to do.

And yes: the anxiety is indeed building: this will be a full-time thing with responsibilities, deadlines, longer days etc ... I'm pretty confident rationally I can pull it off, but emotionally it feels daunting. Nevertheless I'm going to try it - assuming I can get my own rhythm back up to acceptable standards there likely will be lots of fun to be had.

It takes days (even weeks) for example to put together a simple presentation that only took hours when I was "active".

Worst case scenario: I fail miserably, reputation in one area is ruined and I'm back home, ready to travel the world. Best case: I can afford my second home in New Zealand. :D

Back
Top Bottom