Does your medical coverage follow you when you travel?

azauthor

Dryer sheet wannabe
I see the ads about the medicare supplemental plans. My plan is to spend a lot of time on the road with my RV. Do those plans cover you outside of a specific geographic area?

thx

All health care providers are state licensed. They choose which state or states in which to do business. BCBS coverage is statewide only, whereas Aetna is nationwide.

I could be wrong, know zip about Medicare plans, but I think most U.S. health care plans will cover you in the United States. (I think that is the case with BCBS -- my carrier). Usually coverage stops at an international border. Some plans will reimburse overseas health care costs, others not. Read your policy.

Odds are you will be covered for emergencies anywhere in the US. Even HMOs I know about seem to have coverage for emergencies out of the provider's area.

If your plan has different coverage for in network providers, you may find yourself out of network and paying what could be a significant portion of the cost.

Where Covered?

I could be wrong, know zip about Medicare plans, but I think most U.S. health care plans will cover you in the United States. (I think that is the case with BCBS -- my carrier). Usually coverage stops at an international border. Some plans will reimburse overseas health care costs, others not. Read your policy.

That's correct Pedorrero -- if you carry BCBS coverage, your coverage travels anywhere in the US with you. Some BCBS plans also provide world wide coverage. Contact Customer Service for details.

RE: Medicare coverage -- if you purchase traditional Medicare you are covered anywhere in the US where the provider accepts Medicare coverage. If you purchase a Medicare or Medigap policy from a carrier, you'd need to check with their Customer Service about access to providers. I believe there are world wide exclusions for Medicare plans - but some private carriers may provide it.
-- Rita

...BCBS coverage is statewide only, whereas Aetna is nationwide.

Not necessarily. Many BC/BS plans have national networks through a participation program. You can pay home-town contract rates to providers anywhere these exist, and it's a fairly large network.

Check your individual plan and contract. Mine does offer that network, and this was a major incentive in my decision to stick with them even though I retired from the original employer group.

When i'm on the road "Blue Cross" covers me throughout North America.

When i'm on the road "Blue Cross" covers me throughout North America.

BCBS also covers me internationally. I get the 80/20% covers in an emergency. I was recently surprised to see that several of Chaing mai's hospitals are within their network so I can get 80/20% in network coverage as well. The bad news is that my deductable of $10k will probably nver be met unless I had a very serious procedure.

Yep, read the darn policy. True most carriers will cover a trip to the emergency room wherever you happen to be. If however you plan to be in another state for months at a time and want to establish health care locally you may find that your homestate BCBS won't be recognized in your visiting state. Do the homework first.

Back
Top Bottom