Cataract surgery cost

lucky penny

Full time employment: Posting here.
My doctor recommended cataract surgery in one eye & gave me the names of 3 doctors he recommends for it. It's been my impression that Medicare pays most of the cost (80%) & the patient's supplemental insurance usually covers the rest. Has this been your experience? And can anyone tell me the total cost billed for the procedure BEFORE insurance pays?

Medicare is my primary insurance & my supplemental coverage is a plan for retired state employees which so far has covered almost all my medical bills, but I've never had a procedure like this.

One of the recommended doctors is a participating provider in my plan's network so if I use him I expect the cost to me will be minimal. The other 2 are not in my plan, so if I use either for the surgery my plan will pay some of the additional cost & I'll be responsible for the rest. (I need to call my insurance again to find out what % they'll cover -- I can't remember what they told me.)

The doctor in my plan is not nearby & it will be a long trek to his office (in the Bronx), especially for multiple follow-up visits. His staff was nice on the phone but not very polished. The other 2 doctors are nearby (very convenient) & seem to be top of the line in every way. A friend recently had cataract surgery with one of them & was highly satisfied with every aspect of the experience -- that's what I want too!

I'm definitely willing to pay part of the cost but would like a sense of what that might be & whether most people who have the surgery do this. What was your experience?

Medicare with supplement covers the cost of the surgery and the cost of a standard lens. They do not cover the cost of any of the various more sophisticated corrective lenses. I opted for toric lenses to correct my astigmatism. They were about $1500 each.

Just had cataract surgery on both eyes. Medicare and supplemental paid everything. I did not add on any options.

I went from 20/70 and 20/200 to 20/20 and 20/30. No new lenses until after retinal surgery shortly.

I didn’t pay a dime with Medicare and a supplement plan. I got standard lenses because I couldn’t imagine having one eye for distance and one for reading. I felt it was too big a decision that could be wrong for me.

I find it interesting you say you have Medicare with a supplement plan but you also have a provider network. Normally, traditional Medicare with a supplement doesn't have a provider network. Sound more like a Medicare Advantage plan but then I don't understand having a supplement policy. Just curious.

DH and I both had this done last year.

For EACH EYE Medicare was billed -

From the Eye Clinic - Billed $2400. Medicare approved $1010. Medicare paid $792. Medicare supplement paid $202. ($18 difference in there, don't know why. This is from the EOB)

From the eye surgeon - Billed $1500. Medicare approved $519. Medicare paid $407. Medicare supplement paid $104.

Anesthesia - Billed $600. Medicare approved $94. Medicare paid $74. Medicare supplement paid $19.

Follow-up exams were included in the price. This included a post-op refraction which Medicare usually doesn't cover when it's not post-op.

In addition to these costs billed to Medicare we chose upgraded intraocular lenses. Those were between $1799-$2799 PER EYE. This was paid out of pocket on the day of the surgery.

There are a lot of visits involved in this so take that into consideration when choosing which clinic and how far it is.

2023 was a Blow That Dough year for us! Well worth it ;)

Last edited:
DH and I both had this done last year.

For EACH EYE Medicare was billed -

From the Eye Clinic - Billed $2400. Medicare approved $1010. Medicare paid $792. Medicare supplement paid $202. ($18 difference in there, don't know why. This is from the EOB)

From the eye surgeon - Billed $1500. Medicare approved $519. Medicare paid $407. Medicare supplement paid $104.

Anesthesia - Billed $600. Medicare approved $94. Medicare paid $74. Medicare supplement paid $19.

Follow-up exams were included in the price. This included a post-op refraction which Medicare usually doesn't cover when it's not post-op.

In addition to these costs billed to Medicare we chose upgraded intraocular lenses. Those were between $1799-$2799 PER EYE. This was paid out of pocket on the day of the surgery.

There are a lot of visits involved in this so take that into consideration when choosing which clinic and how far it is.

2023 was a Blow That Dough year for us! Well worth it ;)

Thanks so much Sue & all who responded. This is great information, just what I was looking for. I'll also read the earlier thread that was mentioned.

Looks like I may have to decide whether to Blow That Dough with one of the "Cadillac" doctors (I'm tempted!), go to the Bronx doctor who will cost me nothing (hmm, also tempting), or look for another surgeon who's recommended & takes my supplemental insurance.

Are you sure you have a supplement? Or is it a Medicare Advantage Plan?

With Original Medicare and a Medicare Supplement there are no networks. If your doctor accepts Medicare then your supplement will pay their portion.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan then your doctor needs to accept your plan.

I find it interesting you say you have Medicare with a supplement plan but you also have a provider network. Normally, traditional Medicare with a supplement doesn't have a provider network. Sound more like a Medicare Advantage plan but then I don't understand having a supplement policy. Just curious.

My supplemental plan as a state retiree is very similar to the coverage I had when I was employed except that Medicare is now my primary insurance. After Medicare has paid, if the doctor is in the provider network there's no charge or a small-payment; for someone outside the network, 80% of the amount is covered.

Are you sure you have a supplement? Or is it a Medicare Advantage Plan?

With Original Medicare and a Medicare Supplement there are no networks. If your doctor accepts Medicare then your supplement will pay their portion.

If you have a Medicare Advantage plan then your doctor needs to accept your plan.

To answer your question, I just called the plan & asked. They told me it's not a Medicare Plan, not a Medicare Advantage Plan, but "a commercial PPO plan". Very similar to the coverage I had as a state employee (UnitedHealthcare/Empire Plan) except that Medicare is now my primary.

Edit to add: I've been calling it a supplemental plan but a better term might be my secondary insurance.

Last edited:
My recent (2-3 months back) cataract surgery and all the bills were covered 100% by Medicare & my Plan G supplement. The coverage included a basic mono-focal lens. I opted for laser astigmatism correction in the first eye for an additional out of pocket charge of $1,200. The 2nd eye was a bit different as my astigmatism was a bit higher, on the border between choosing between laser and Toric lens. The Dr suggested a Toric lens. I was charged the same $1,200, again out-of-pocket. Surprise to me, that 3 days ago I received a $395 check in the mail from my dr's office. I called to ask what it was for and they told me it was for overpayment on the Toric lens. From what I can discern, Medicare also covers some amount for your first pair of glasses after cataract surgery. I don't know that for certain. I just bought a pair of readers from Amazon now. I paid $10 total for the two readers. maybe I'll order progressive glasses from Zenni after a few months more. At the moment, I am loving seeing the wide field of vision crisp and clear without glasses that I have needed for about 60 years.

Thanks so much Sue & all who responded. This is great information, just what I was looking for. I'll also read the earlier thread that was mentioned.

Looks like I may have to decide whether to Blow That Dough with one of the "Cadillac" doctors (I'm tempted!), go to the Bronx doctor who will cost me nothing (hmm, also tempting), or look for another surgeon who's recommended & takes my supplemental insurance.

I think the charges will vary by location. My spouse had both eyes done (first one eye then the other 2 weeks later), standard lens implants:

Outpatient facility charges EACH time were approx $13,900.00 (not a typo); Medicare as primary paid about $1994.00 each time; secondary insurance paid approx $498.00 each time.

Dr. charges were $2596.00 each time, Medicare paid approx $457.00 and secondary approx $113.00 each time.

The anesthesiologist and subsequent dr bills were fairly small, and there were a few followup visits.

Between Medicare and secondary insurance (FEHB) everything was covered 100%. The allowed amount of course, not the amount requested by the provider!!!

Back
Top Bottom